Customer Discussions > Biography forum

WHAT T IS THE BEST BIOGRAPY YOU EVER READ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2009 6:59:22 AM PDT
Roya parsay says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 18, 2009 3:41:24 PM PDT
J. Reid says:
"Act One", the autobiography of Moss Hart, for pure entertainment, inspiration and fun (this should be a movie!); for spiritual inspiration, "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom, or "Quiet Strength" by Tony Dungy. Haven't read much in historical bios yet, but hope to (I'm usually lazy and watch the movies on history instead).

Posted on Apr 18, 2009 4:57:32 PM PDT
Mikiayla says:
Red China Blues : My Long March From Mao To Now
-Jan Wong

Posted on Apr 18, 2009 7:52:21 PM PDT
Guthrie G. says:
"The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawitz left a strong impression; I read it twice. The same with "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. And "Life and Death in Shanghai" by Nein Ching. (If I have her name correct.)

Posted on Apr 19, 2009 6:52:17 AM PDT
W. Bachmann says:
If you have an interest in business or aviation history, do not miss " An American Saga - Juan Trippe.."
by Robert Daley

Posted on Apr 19, 2009 10:10:18 AM PDT
D. Robertson says:
"Blacklisted by History" by Stanten Evans is about McCarthy and uses the Freedom of Information act to gain access of FBI, war records, CIA -OSS, and other material. It is the best researched and documented books that I have read. Also, it will make you think about D.M.'s book Truman and the mistakes made.

Posted on Apr 19, 2009 9:27:37 PM PDT
SB Gaucho says:
Huey Long by T. Harry Williams

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 6:23:25 AM PDT
Jeff Johnson says:
Beyond the Dark Green Waters was awsome!!!

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 8:24:45 AM PDT
Gridface says:
Life and death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng, because it illustrates the value of maintaining human dignity under inhuman circumstances, and Bugles and a tiger and The road past Mandalay by John Masters, because they are very well-written descriptions of a world that's completely gone (although the parts that deal with Afghanistan are still surprisingly relevant) and they give outsiders some idea of the dilemmas of military command.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 6:01:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2009 6:03:57 PM PDT
Diverse says:
Titan: The life and times of John D. Rockefeller - by Ron Chernow.

Fascinating look at the business practices and means Rockefeller used to amass his fortune. There were 130+ competing oil collection and distribution businesses , and Rockfeller's Standard Oil was the only surviving one.
Rockefeller used any and all means to get what he wanted.
And Rockefeller believed he was God's Chosen One on this earth. His proof: How else could a boy born into poverty become the richest human on earth?
When the US was plunging into Civil War in 1862-64, Rockefeller didn't take sides. He wasn't idealistic. He was capitalistic, and he saw a market developing, and he made money off the war.
If you want to see where unrestricted markets lead, read this book. Restrictions on markets were created because the robber-barrons had a choke-hold on the economy.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 6:38:43 PM PDT
S. Herring says:
A Boy in War by Jan de Groot is a biography of a young boy caught in the conflict of WWII. It's a heart warming and moving story of not a famous, but an ordinary person who most of us can relate to. Especially those of us who lived in Europe during that time, or perhaps our parents or grand parents.

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 9:59:21 AM PDT
N. Crain says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 22, 2009 3:20:40 AM PDT
About Face, David Hackworth. Autobiog of the most decorated soldier in the history of the Army works at so many levels - adventure, bio, history, parable of good and evil in human organizations, examination of leadership, corruption of public institutions... Best nonfiction book I ever read, even w/out the bio part.

Posted on Apr 23, 2009 1:13:01 PM PDT
RUNNING WITH SCISSORS by Augusten Burroughs is by far the best biography I've ever read! He is one of my new favorite authors! You must read this book!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2009 6:52:15 PM PDT
Boca Babe says:
That was a great one.

Posted on Apr 23, 2009 8:51:15 PM PDT
Peter the Great: His Life and World -- Robert Massie
It was unforgettable

In addition: The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris
Simply staggeringly good. I still remember Teddy Roosevelt's father's remarkable influence on his sickly child, and insight into a complex and very decent man.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2009 1:27:29 PM PDT
Plutarch's Lives
Robert Crichton's "The Great Imposter"

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 7:33:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2009 7:34:25 PM PDT
"Rodeo in Joliet"

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 8:37:04 PM PDT
reviewer says:
Best written and most interesting:

Alexander Hamilton - Chernov

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 12:37:51 PM PDT
It's an autobiography, but it's Edward Dahlberg's Because I Was Flesh.

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 6:07:37 AM PDT
So many good biographies to choose from, but for entertainment I would say anything by E.J. Fleming. That man does research and gets to the heart of the person better than any author I know of. His bios on Paul Bern and Wallace Reid were just the best.

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 11:26:19 AM PDT
S. McKenna says:
Patton: A Genius for War by Carlo D'Este. 950 pages of excellent reading! Check it out, history buffs.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2009 11:50:59 AM PDT
Schmerguls says:
I agree. My post-reading comment:
3766. Patton A Genius for War, by Carlo D'Este (6 July) This superb biography, published in 1995, is stunningly well-written and tells very well the fantastic life of an amazing though deeply-flawed man, avid to be in war with exploits as a general astounding to read about. D'Este paints Patton's positions as mostly right in regard to the war in France, leaving Bradley and Eisenhower diminished--certainly not the impression I had after reading Clay Blair's "autobiography" of Bradley on 26 Feb 1994. This bio was everything one could hope it could be and I found its reading thoroughly enjoyable and well-done--without flaw, though its subject certainly was not.

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 1:53:51 PM PDT
Gary Gilbert says:
I read a lot of biographies. My favorites include:
Chernov's Alexander Hamilton
Isenberg's Fallen Founder (about Aaron Burr) try reading these back to back
McCullough's Truman (I liked it more than Adams)
Michaelis's Schultz (controversial)
William Manchester's Goodbye Darkness (his first person account of WWII in the Pacific)

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 7:11:56 PM PDT
I. Young says:
Bearing the Cross by David Garrow

God: A Biography by Jack Miles
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  765
Total posts:  1159
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 82 customers

Search Customer Discussions