Customer Discussions > Biography forum

WHAT T IS THE BEST BIOGRAPY YOU EVER READ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 9, 2009 6:09:02 PM PDT
Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2009 8:09:26 PM PDT
One Train Later-Andy Summers

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 9:48:49 AM PDT
Jb Books says:
The best biography I've ever read is Hold My Hand by Glenys Carl. Read all the reviews on amazon.com and amazon.co.uk

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 11:48:41 AM PDT
Donna says:
Debby Applegate's Pulitzer prize winning biography of Henry Ward Beecher, "The Most Famous Man in America", is a favorite of mine. Beecher was a hugely popular mid 19th century preacher (sibling to Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin) who became embroiled in a sex scandel at the pinnacle of his career. Applegate embeds Beecher's life story in the religious, political, and social context of 19th century America. Aside from some archaeic language, the book reads like a novel.

Posted on Jul 12, 2009 8:53:11 AM PDT
Connemara says:
Truman by David McCullough. Truman was a grass roots president who gave Americans someone who didn't talk down to them, told it like it was and if you didn't like it, tough. What he said he'd do he damn well did come hell or high water, an old fashion man of the people, perhaps a coarser version of Lincoln. He was also more complex than the persona America viewed, decisive and able to meet some of the horrific challenges of his era and probably the most courageous presidents America has ever had.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2009 9:24:36 AM PDT
"Finding Newmarket" by William Mills is an EXCELLENT short bio.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever endured a "Loss of Hope".

It is tragic and dark, but nonetheless, superb.

Rumour at the bookstore is that part two is coming out this winter.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 12, 2009 3:10:32 PM PDT
I would have to say that the best autobiography I have read in new time.. being still alive ..was from J. Charles Roberts, this man lived a live to to the fullest. consently running on the egde of life for just a moment of freedoom. Then it all caught up to him, with he was shot at point blank range with a 38 cal. handgun!...In the forehead from 8ft. away! he died in the on the way to the hospital and they revived him somehow, then they told his family that he wasn't going to live. twelve hours later the surgenys came out to tell his father he made it through the surgerey but he well be in a probably be in a coma for for the rest of his life. eight days latter he awoke to his father prayering at his feet. wide awake and confused, not rememebering anythingthing past high school (11 years of remory lost) but fully functioning and ready to go back out to the world. well the Lord had different plans for that man and he stayed in the hospital for eight months, four brain surgereys and rehabe. now I am on the right track and I volunteer my life to the Lord Jesus Christ at all times. I have neverf been happier. THank you Jesus and thank you for listening. J. Charles Roberts "Choose Your Addiction"

Posted on Jul 12, 2009 3:20:07 PM PDT
Choose Your Addiction This is a story that will shock you to the bones! THis man lived life abanded by his loved one, somehoe made it throgh life as a scavinger and even was shot in the head at close range to live throgh it. yes it changed his live and through that change God used him to change others. what a story! I would say this is thye best autobiography written in this decade. Thank you, Charlene Swan

Posted on Jul 12, 2009 4:45:03 PM PDT
Antonia Fraser biographies are awesome! I particularly liked Marie Antoinette.

Posted on Jul 16, 2009 8:40:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2009 8:47:47 PM PDT
Nostalgic says:
The best biography I've read in years was Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star by Kitty Kelley. I love reading
her biographies because she tells it like it is and leaves no stone unturned. That's the reason that I read about
celebrities is because I want to know about their lives, and Elizabeth certainly had one! It was truly a great
read. I wish that all biographies could be as entertaining.

Posted on Jul 16, 2009 10:37:36 PM PDT
Coal Miner's Daughter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2009 1:43:20 PM PDT
Pepper Moon says:
The finest biography I've read was Taken Care Of, written by Edith Sitwell. The book shows a portrait of a true eccentric who used English like no other. Get out your dictionary and give it a whirl!

Posted on Jul 18, 2009 7:03:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2009 7:07:25 AM PDT
J. Andrews says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 18, 2009 9:34:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2009 9:37:30 AM PDT
Henry VIII by Jasper Ridley

Unlike so many others, it does NOT concentrate on his six wives. In fact, other than Katherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn, who were instrumental in helping to bring about religious change, the others are mentioned as briefly as possible.

This bio is about Henry as King, Politician and founder of the English Navy. It may sound dry, but it isn't. I could hardly put it down.

Posted on Jul 18, 2009 2:34:30 PM PDT
Mark Levine says:
The three best biographies I have read are all Robert Caro's THE POWER BROKER, simultaneously the best analysis of a single individual, Robert Moses, New York's master builder; the best book about Power, its accumulatrion and execution; and the best book from a long shelf of books about New York City and State. And written beautifully!
The funniest is Robert Lewis Taylor's in-and-out-of-print W.C. FIELDS: HIS FOLLIES AND FORTUNES. Why even pretend to be objective when you're writing about the funniest man who ever lived? Just tell his stories, man, and that's what Taylor, a very good storyteller, did.
Hardly a conventional memoir, but (re) read Art Spiegelman's MAUS! Genius!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2009 11:21:20 AM PDT
FG says:
I agree that this was one of the most sincere and heart-breaking bios I've ever read. All the conflicts and struggles of the war embodied in one extremely honest man.

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 1:56:25 AM PDT
Hands down "Marlene Dietrich By Her Daughter Maria Riva."

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 5:49:07 AM PDT
Donna says:
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang

Posted on Jul 20, 2009 12:02:51 PM PDT
The Diary of Anne Frank simply must top the list!

Posted on Jul 21, 2009 7:23:29 AM PDT
E. D. Flynn says:
James Boswell's LIFE OF SAMUEL JOHNSON. The greatest non-fiction book ever written. Period.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2009 3:42:20 PM PDT
Pocahontas says:
I agree with you. I think John Adams was the best.
I also liked The Rise Of Theodore Roosevelt and Theodore Rex.

Posted on Jul 21, 2009 10:45:15 PM PDT
Cathy says:
IACOCCA by Lee Iacocca was certainly one of them. I never thought I have a hoot about the automobile industry until I read this amazing biography when I was 14. I'm almost 40 now and I never forgot this book.

Posted on Jul 21, 2009 11:09:50 PM PDT
Jim Toms says:
I'm not quite finished with it yet, but David McCullough's biography of Harry Truman is excellent as is Stephen Ambrose's three volume biography of Nixon. Volume 1, which covers Nixon's birth all the way to the 1962 loss for California governor is easily the best of the three (but they're all first rate!).

Posted on Jul 22, 2009 9:40:54 AM PDT
Javdoctor says:
'Titan' by Ron Chernow. An amazing bio of John D. Rockefeller.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2009 7:45:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2009 7:50:15 PM PDT
You must read "Going Out A Champion: The Coach Joe Ellis Story". This book tells the childhood struggles of Joe Ellis, his love for basketball, and how he overcame some many obstacles to be a star player and then to come back to his home town of Surry County, VA (there ARE good things happening in Surry County) to coach the varsity boys basketball team. In his 12th season as head coach, and at the age of 50, Joe was diagnosed with inoperable colon cancer. God allowed him to coach football and basketball that year and to come back and coached his thirteenth season of basketball. He became very weak, but he made it to practice every day. The young men seemed to draw strength from Coach Ellis, they rallied around him, refused to lose, and won the Virginia Group A High School Boys Championship in March 2005. Coach Ellis had to be carried into the Seigal Center at VCU that day in a wheelchair. When he held up the state championship trophy, he had the appearance of a man in perfect health. God had given him the desire of his heart. Two months later he passed away at the age of 51. You must read about all the things that happened during his illness that could have taken him out. A broken porta-cath that lodged in his heart value; a bacterial infection; fluid in the lungs, blood transfusions...you name it! But it wasn't his time. God had a purpose for his life and the lives of the 13 young men he coached and loved so dearly. This book promises to hold your attention from start to finish. If someone you know constantly complains about the everyday cares of life, this is the book for them. Coach Ellis perservered through his pain, he kept the faith, and he never gave up! His courage changed the lives of everyone who witnessed his strength. Read more at www.goingoutachampion.com or right here on Amazon.com.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  765
Total posts:  1159
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 82 customers

Search Customer Discussions