Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Looking for a good memoir

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 283 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 19, 2011 7:14:09 PM PST
Sarah K says:
If you want a fascinating read, check out "I Coulda Been a Cowboy But My Boots Didn't Fit" by J Don Looper. One editorial reads:
["It was like riding shotgun," J. Don Looper says, "I was the guy on the other seat hoping the Indians did not attack and the Wells Fargo box arrived unplundered." Looper is author of a new book of memoirs, "I Coulda Been a Cowboy but My Boots Didn't Fit," which recalls a career riding alongside great events and people as ghost writer, media foil, and troubleshooter. He left a Dust Bowl childhood for a life in journalism, public affairs, and international politics. He traveled in 60 countries and wrote for newspapers as far away as Hong Kong. When Henry Kissinger called a World Food Conference to confront a global hunger panic in 1974, Looper went to Rome as a U.S. delegate. When Jimmy Carter restored diplomatic relations with China, Looper was assigned to Beijing for the first U.S. trade show. When Ronald Reagan okayed a second grain deal with the Russians in 1982, Looper went to London to handle the media crush. He accompanied more than a dozen V.I.P missions abroad and sat with foreign leaders as distant as President Marcos in Manila and Premier Kosygin in the Kremlin. He wrote speeches for top officials in every administration from Truman to Reagan. Looper is a native Oklahoman, son of a cattle trader and auction operator. He completed journalism degrees at Oklahoma State University and advanced studies in international politics at The American University in Washington. He wrote for Oklahoma newspapers, the Sioux City stockyards, a Milwaukee advertising agency, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. He worked as a Washington consultant and as Washington correspondent for the South China Morning Post (Hong Kong). He was for 13 years public information director for USDA's Foreign Agricultural Service.]

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 1:30:06 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2011 10:37:23 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 8:38:02 AM PST
Nunz999 says:
"Nobody washes me, I'm Italian" is the story of my father who was born in Italy and at the age of 8 came to Amercan; met his father for the first time; his difficulties with the English language; food; weather; and school. My father was adamant that his children never forget where you came from and his humble beginnings.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 4:25:11 PM PST
Here are two good ones:Finding Fish: A Memoir and A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive
Both were bestsellers; Finding Fish became a movie with Denzel Washington playing Antoine (the subject of the Biography)

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:04:34 PM PST
Lucia says:
The most fascinating memoir I've read is God the Therapist. The author was born disabled - what he made of his life is an inspiration, full of so many stories that are in turn poignant, funny, awe inspiring in the courage he had to follow the Divine. He became a master psychodramatist, the book has very interesting accounts of his work.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:01:05 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 28, 2011 9:21:11 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 11:45:34 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 28, 2011 11:51:41 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 12:10:57 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 6, 2011 7:38:12 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 11:47:41 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 2, 2011 11:48:37 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 5:45:00 AM PST
Hamburg 1947: A Place for the Heart to Kip $1.99

Twenty-two years old and ready for peace, Harry Leslie Smith has survived the Great Depression and endured the Second World War. Now, in 1945 in Hamburg, Germany, he must come to terms with a nation physically and emotionally devastated. In this memoir, he narrates a story of people searching to belong and survive in a world that was almost destroyed.Hamburg 1947 recounts Smith's youthful RAF days as part of the occupational forces in post-war Germany. A wireless operator during the war, he doesn't want to return to Britain and join a queue of unemployed former servicemen; he reenlists for long term duty in occupied Germany. From his billet in Hamburg, a city razed to the ground by remorseless aerial bombardment, he witnesses a people and era on the brink of annihilation. This narrative presents a street-level view of a city reduced to rubble populated with refugees, black marketers, and cynical soldiers. At times grim and other times amusing, Smith writes a memoir relaying the social history about this time and place, providing a unique look at post-WWII Germany. Hamburg 1947 is both a love story for a city and a passionate retailing of a love affair with a young German woman."

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 7:30:08 AM PST
Coming of age memoir entitled Frogmen, about diving with Jacques Cousteau.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 9:40:14 AM PST
My foster care odyssey

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 9:41:56 AM PST
The best memoir I've read in a long time is James McBride's The Color of Water.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 12:11:04 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 10, 2011 12:21:03 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 1:41:11 PM PST
Yolanda King says:
Yes, read 'A Piece of Cake' by Cupcake Brown. It's raw, but it's real. She's been on Oprah and shared her story as well.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 8:59:17 PM PST
Angela's Ashes, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Book. A masterpiece of compelling, haunting words put together seamlessly by a master craftsman at the top of his game. I cannot urge anyone enough, who loves words, at the very least, to go check this book out. Top draw memoir.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:38:24 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 18, 2011 10:28:53 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 8:19:25 AM PST
Mickey Mills says:
Final Approach - Northwest Airlines Flight 650, Tragedy and Triumph

The first review, written by a program director at the Betty Ford Institute, is in on Lyle's recently published memoir. He wrote:

Lyle Prouse is part Comanche, part Irish and has inherited the gift of story-telling from both cultures. In his book, Final Approach - Northwest Airlines Flight 650, Tragedy and Triumph, he takes the reader through a behind-the-scenes history lesson of one of the major international news events of the past 25 years. The book offers a review of much of the details of the Flight 650 debacle that was public knowledge from the media, but more importantly he tells the story that few had access to. He tells it from the view of one who lived it.

I find that good storytellers tend to share their adventures in a circular as opposed to linear motion. That is to say they move back and forth in time to expound on pieces from various time periods that make up the present mosaic. To understand how Captain Prouse survived this life changing event requires bits of information from various periods of his life. Lyle accomplishes this in a seemless fashion that maintains the reader's interest and adds the depth of insight required to fully appreciate the magnificence of the life experience of the author.

I found myself rivetted at times and couldn't put the book down until I'd completed the chapter. At other times I laughed, cried, and found myself so fully emotionally engaged in the story that had to stop reading to process my own feelings. Since I have personally experienced some of the miracles the author discloses in his book, I was reminded of the miracle of recovery and the ways in which the Creator demonstrates Its Presence in our lives.

I really learned things about the professional lives of pilots that I did not know. Since I fly a great deal in my work, I was fascinated to hear about some of the details and preparations that go into the flights I'm on. I was also intrigued by Lyles stories about the Viet Nam War and the Prison system. Two events I missed by some twist of fate.

My greatest joy of reading this book was to hear about how the simple act of getting and staying sober with the help of a 12-Step program can become the base of a miraculous comeback story. It has been that way in my case and in the lives of hundreds of people I've known personally. Lyle is a voice of triumph for thousands of alcoholics who find a way out of madness and into the light of a new day.

This book is a great read and one that I find myself referring back to because of the wealth of hope and inspiration it contains!!

Patrick Haggerson, M.A., Program Director of Ethno-Cultural Studies, Betty Ford Institute

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 8:37:18 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 15, 2011 8:49:34 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 12:04:44 PM PST
Lynne Farr says:
My two books OFF THE GRID WITHOUT A PADDLE and OFF THE GRID AND OVER THE HILL won't necessarily change your life but they'll make you laugh - a lot. If you've ever thought of living a greener, do-it-yourself, or off-grid lifestyle, there's good information in them too - things to do and definitely not do. Off The Grid Without A Paddle Off The Grid And Over The Hill

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 1:11:04 PM PST
Have you read The Comeback Kid, Memoirs of Thomas L. Hay? It's a great read.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 1:49:36 PM PST
Not foster care but one of the best memoirs/books I've ever read was "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. Her childhood probably could have warranted foster care.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 2:23:38 PM PST
Keep This Quiet! My Relationship with Hunter S. Thompson, Milton Klonsky, and Jan Mensaert
Hi, This is a new memoir - not about foster care but with good reviews. It's about Greenwich Village in the late 1960s and about working with Hunter Thompson as his copy editor on his first book, Hell's Angels. Lots of letters from him to me. It's also on Kindle ($5.95). And on other e-readers as well, with the 27 illustrations - some in color - specially formatted for the different readers. So buy them on their own reader, not with an app. Check out the reviews on Amazon and see if it appeals to you. Again, not about foster care but an interesting memoir.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 4:38:04 PM PST
Carol Ryan says:
Right Now Is Perfect: A Romance, An Adventure, The Unexpected Thereafter
If you've ever wondered about quitting your job and sailing off into the sunset, here's a book you'll enjoy. The narrator and 3 friends took a 36 foot sailboat from Mexico to New Zealand stopping at some isolated and beautiful islands along the way. But, there is more to the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 8:51:24 PM PST
Liz242 says:
Breaking Night: My Journey from Homeless to Harvard...and White Oleander by Janet Fitch
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions