Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Best biographies under 400 pages?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2012 6:43:51 AM PST
G. Griffith says:
The biography recommendations in this forum have been very helpful. But I've noticed that so many of the best recommended biographies are huge, highly detailed books often running 700 or more pages. I don't mind occasional books like that, but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for biographies that are 400 pages or less?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 10:18:43 AM PST
Inge Wagner says:
I have a 158 pager: The Paper American, by Lina Rudel

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:21:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2012 8:39:57 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 7:41:02 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 3:49:02 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:47:54 PM PST
NAJDG says:
"I am Danger; I am Prisoner" by Danger, just released on Saturday

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 3:26:56 PM PST
dang says:
Dancing out of darkness was a compelling book! I couldn't put it down when I started to read it. I found it so easy to read and it held me to the end. You felt like you were on the journey with the author and it was great how you get to hear all of her inner thought processes along the way. This book was very honest and transparent and the author wasn't afraid of revealing ways of being and thinking that didn't lead to life. It was useful to see where different theology led to and how it didn't set her free and how she became free when the new revelations broke on her when she experienced God's love and grace. I believe this book will touch people from many different walks of life as it explores depression, high expectations that are put upon a person, religious ideas that don't lead to life, sexual assault, grief and loss of a loved one, marriage and the complexities of this and what makes this work, the human services careers and people's quest for peace and fulfilment. It also looks at how some-one changes as they experiences new revelation on their faith journey. It ends with a spiel about what the Good News is which is very uplifting and inspired. This book encouraged me in my faith and reinforced that 'with God all things are possible!'

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 8:51:21 PM PST
Dying to get to Oklahoma

A story of an Australian family's cancer journey that includes amazing cameos by Oprah, Elvis, Patrick Swayze, Spongebob and more. It is also a tale of amazing travels in search of the treatment that had eluded them in Australia. Some tragedy, a few laughs but also the determined fight to change cancer treatment options in Australia.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 1:47:31 PM PDT
Missing the Mark: A Target Child Speaks by Keith Hoerner on Amazon
You Tube Video (Copy and Paste in Address Bar):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skl3oh4FCb0

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 4:48:28 PM PDT
Rebone says:
Hi. Biography under 400 pages? Try A Woman Denied...: The Early Years

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 7:23:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 7:24:44 PM PDT
I enjoyed (if such a term can be applied to a book written by a Holocaust survivor) Alter Weiner's, "From a Name to a Number." I believe it is 240 pages. I found it quite moving. I'm probably a bit off topic, as it is an autobiography.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:10:00 AM PDT
Try "Black-eyed Susan Among the Roses" as it is very true to life and well written. A great read!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:16:50 PM PDT
Gaston says:
Gaston's Secret: the lottery child.

Gaston's Secret

Hope this is of use.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 1:05:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 1:13:27 AM PDT
Dusty Papers says:
Epistolophilia: Writing the Life of Ona Simaite Well under 400 pages, and a compelling read.

"Sukys draws liberally from thousands of pages of correspondence and numerous diaries to create a portrait of a deeply thoughtful woman trying to make sense of history and her own life by putting it all to paper. Also of Lithuanian descent, Sukys's own meditations on the power of letters and writing make this a powerful testament to the confluence of history and individual lives and passions."-Publishers Weekly
(Publishers Weekly 20120316)

"Epistolophilia is not a typical biography, and Šimaitė was not a typical World War II hero. For readers looking for an unconventional account of the World War II and post-war eras, as well as those interested in women's life writing, Epistolophilia is a nuanced and compelling work."-ForeWord Reviews
(ForeWord Reviews 20120409)

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 10:41:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 23, 2012 10:46:34 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 11:46:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 14, 2012 10:43:49 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 3:56:34 PM PDT
JD (Author) says:
Dear Teddy

The story of a small boys life at the hands of his family. Told in the view point of the child himself. A different approach as well as touching into the slightly silent world of abused males.
Free in the Kindle Lending Library for Prime Members

Product Description
Little boy little boy,
Curled in a ball.
I know you're secrets,
I know them all

I write in my journal as much as I can. I talk to Mr. Ted. He is my only friend. He understands when the bad man comes. He holds my hand when I have nightmares and my mummy doesn't hear me cry. Mr. Ted doesn't tell. He won't say when my daddy hurts me. He keeps my secrets and my stories. I love Mr. Ted. He is the only one who loves me back.

Mr. Ted.
I keep falling asleep. Bad things happen. I get sore all the time. But I don't know why. My mum says it's a demon. Because I got evil. Please make me be good.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 5:12:07 PM PDT
M. E. Ford says:
If you want to read a biography about an uncommon common man and learn about the Mexican-American culture, try LENCHO: HIS STORY by E. B. Ford (146 pages).

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 2:22:58 PM PDT
D. Perkins says:
Tears Behind My Eyes/My Life autobiography 170pgs

You want to know about me? Well I'm going to tell you. The best way to live life is to live it with no regrets. I most certainly don't have any. I can tell you that I am blessed and privileged to have had the opportunities that life has given me. A proud legacy of being in the Marine Corp, something I'll treasure for life. Who says having children doesn't make you better or at least it should. When you have to care for someone other than yourself, you learn to slow down and not take as many risks, as I was so accustom to doing. I think most people's lives are interesting, if they have the guts to share it. I can say that some of my experiences have shaped the way I think and have colored much of who I am today.
I believe this is true for most. Looking back on some of my most outrageous memories and my bleakest moments, I can look ahead and honestly say that it is far from being over. So let me catch you up. I so very much enjoyed my childhood, I'm sorry if you didn't. But if you didn't, throw yourself into mine, as I share the craziness of it all. Walk with me through the sands of the Middle East while I describe in detail what made those experiences so outrageous. Learn some lessons from my mistakes, I know I did. But in the least, I know you will be captivated by my most intimate memoires. Though the good outweighed the bad, there were some things that actually made me cry. I know, most men won't usually share that information with you, I guess that's what makes me different. Enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 3:58:08 PM PDT
The sunset strip diaries, amy asbury- really exciting and interesting

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 6:49:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 30, 2012 7:51:10 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 6:47:03 AM PDT
G. Griffith says:
Thanks! It's not really off-topic at all. An autobiography is just a type of biography, really. It's a great suggestion - as I am moved by Holocaust stories. I think we owe it to ourselves to learn more about the Holocaust. And it's never more harrowing or moving as when it's written by someone who was there and lived through it.

Posted on May 1, 2012 6:54:30 PM PDT
Regal One says:
I would highly recommend David McCullough's "Mornings on Horseback", a biography of Teddy Roosevelt's early years. He's a compelling author, and Roosevelt was truly an extraordinary person.

Posted on May 3, 2012 12:02:12 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 29, 2012 2:11:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 11:44:26 AM PDT
Tom Harvey says:
Hi:

Please consider my just-released memoir, "The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!" It's 256 pages and covers the trials and tribulations of growing up through the entire decade.

Thank you!

Tom Harvey
AuthorTomHarvey.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 11:31:38 AM PDT
The Comeback Kid, memoirs of Thomas L. Hay is only 187 pages. The Author covers a sixty-eight year span with stories that will mystify and tickle your reading senses. It is a comprehendsive, enjoyable and occasionally heartbreaking personnal history. I know, cause I have read it five times and still can't believe all the stuff that happened to me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Feb 21, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions