Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Biography forum

I just read a wonderful tear-jerker...Excellent book!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 102 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2009 3:48:28 AM PST
Hello!
I just finished a wonderful book entitled "Finding Newmarket". I think that anyone who has ever dealt with a devestating heartbreak must read this book. The author has a unique way of writing, I hope he writes some more, as the ending of the book may lead to another installment. HIGHLY RECOMENDED!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2009 5:24:32 AM PST
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Who is the author?
Anne
www.adopteesvoice.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2009 5:29:12 AM PST
Hello Anne!
The author is William Mills. I think this is his first book, but I have a feeling there will be more, or at least I hope so!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 5:04:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2009 5:07:52 PM PST
If you like this kind of book, you must read "Going Out A Champion: The Coach Joe Ellis Story." I published it in June 2008 and it chronicles the life of my late husband, Coach Joe Ellis. It's a story of determination and faith. Coach Ellis, suffering with inoperable colon cancer at the age of 51, refuses to leave his team and they win the Virginia Group A Boys Basketball Championship on March 12, 2005. Coach Ellis was so weak that day that he had to be carried into the arena in a wheelchair. After the game he was surrounded by reporters. He told them, "I hope the Lord will bless me and we can do this again next year. But if not, hey, I'm happy. At least I can go out a state champion." Two months later the passed away. His funeral was held in the Surry County High School gym that had been renamed The Joseph A Ellis Gymnasium while he was alive to know it. His team, wearing their championship jackets, served as their beloved coach's pallbearers. I guarantee that you will cry, you'll laugh, and then you'll cry some more. Check it out right here on Amazon.com. It is also available at www.goingoutachampion.com and at Barnesandnoble.com. Read the preview. I've love to hear from you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 2:09:26 AM PST
Thank you. I will get on that right away. What did you think of Finding Newmarket?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2009 5:03:44 PM PST
I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I will in the very near future. Is it available on Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2009 2:17:58 AM PST
Yes, it is available on amazon...let me know if you like it as much as I did.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 1:18:19 AM PST
Ian Walthew says:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone read my memoir A Place in My Country: In Search of a Rural Dream ? It was well received in the U.K but I am intrigued to know if it has any appeal to American readers. www.ianwalthew.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 2:09:33 AM PST
Ian-
I have not, but I will check it out.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 11:17:29 AM PST
S. Herring says:
I highly recommend you read 'A Boy in War', author, Jan de Groot, another excellent memoir. I wrote a review about it on the Amazon site where it is available. I have read it twice and so has my 13 year old daughter. She thought it was awesome, and I can't stop thinking about it.

Sandra

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 12:58:34 PM PST
S,
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 6:16:33 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 31, 2009 5:47:13 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 6:59:16 PM PST
Did anyone get a chance to check out "Going Out A Champion". There was a feature story on WAVY TV 10 (Portsmouth, VA) last week that was so well received, it ran two additional days on the evening news. You can go to wavy.com to view the interview. If you can't find the time to view the broadcast, please check out the book here on http://amazon.com. I'd love to hear your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2009 4:27:50 AM PST
Hi there!
I will check that out..I'm always looking forward to another good book
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2009 4:29:11 AM PST
Not yet. It looks like many of you have some excellent suggestions! Thank you again!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2009 12:22:23 PM PST
Hi Jennifer Lynn, as an author, I am always pleased to see readers who are willing to venture into new territory. By "new" I mean that first-time authors may be neglected. I learned a lot from the film-maker of "Slum Dog Millionaire." He said that movie makers would not take on his project because there were no "celebrity" names in the cast. Such is the case with publishing... publishers want the writer to have an agent; agents want the author to have already been published. I see that "Finding Newmarket" is independently published, and it is great that you have given it a thumbs up. Based on your enthusiastic recommendation, I'm putting it on my wish list. Meanwhile, if you don't mind my shameless plug (I used to be too shy to do this, hey ma, look at me now) may I recommend my own memoir? I mention it here because it is similar in scope to "Finding Newmarket" and you do not seem afraid of something new! Sincerely, Lynn C. Tolson
Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2009 9:18:46 PM PST
Thank you Lynn! I will!!

Posted on Jun 24, 2009 11:26:21 PM PDT
cedrick says:
Check out this one:

"Rodeo in Joliet" by Glenn Rockowitz

Tragically beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2009 8:01:17 AM PDT
Thanks Cedric!
I'll check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2009 1:53:54 PM PDT
Honey Levin says:
American Doctor is a excellent biography to check out. My personal review follows. American Doctor is at once intimate and comprehensive in scope. Not only do we learn about a unique and compassionate physician who survived many obstacles to reach his goal, but we are privy to a slice of Irish history that serves to acquaint us with the common struggles of the Irish immigration to America. We discover the ancestors of John McCarville going back to 1720. In 1848, the family was faced with the excruciating decision of remaining in an impoverished and tyrannical land or making a precarious voyage with the entire family to a new life. Fortunately for the author, who is the daughter of the "American Doctor," the latter was chosen. We are given a bird's-eye view of the harshness of sea travel at that time as well as the reality of life in Ireland under English rule. Once the immigrants landed in New York, many more tribulations lay ahead for the McCarville family. However, their fortitude and religious convictions overcame many of them. Throughout this journey, the author conveys a strong sense of pride in her family origins and reveals their foibles, which add to the authenticity of the saga. Jack McCarville is certainly an inherent part of early Arizona history. From the moment he left his native state of Iowa to settle in the little known Sonoran Desert, he made his mark in what is now known as "The Valley of the Sun." We are told of his struggling days in medical school, the time and energy it took to build a practice, the medical procedures that he took upon himself to perfect and the eventual change in our country's healthcare system. Yet, Jack always seemed to have a quest for learning that went into such disparate fields as aviation and ballroom dancing. His love of life certainly is evident in his love for his family as well as for his fellow man. This biography by a very devoted daughter pays loving homage to a very special human being."
-Honey Levin

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2009 6:59:24 AM PDT
Honey-

I just purchased this book. Once I read your review, I was captivated.

Thank you!

Have you read "Finding Newmarket" yet?

Posted on Jul 5, 2009 1:02:33 PM PDT
Jeff Johnson says:
I reccommend "Beyond the Dark Green Waters."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2009 12:44:20 AM PDT
Thanks Jeff! I'll check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 1:41:02 AM PDT
Jeff-

I ordered the book you suggested.

BTW-

Have you read "Finding Newmarket" yet?

Rumor has it, at the bookstore, that part 2 is coming out very soon.

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 8:39:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2009 11:02:57 AM PDT
Bill Granger says:
Thom Bierdz (currently on The Young and the Restless) has written an AMAZING book: Forgiving Troy. Troy (Thom's little brother) killed their Mom with a baseball bat! This is the tear-jerker of the year.....you will be crying by page 16. Newly released and also has black and whites of Thom's artwork. You will be hooked as soon as you pick up the book. I read it (288 pages) in one night...I couldn't put it down. Now available through AMAZON.comForgiving Troy: A True Story of Murder, Mental Illness and Recovery
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (161 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  102
Initial post:  Jan 12, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions