Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Looking for a good memoir

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 283 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 18, 2012 9:43:10 AM PDT
Ms. R. says:
Of possible interest: "Wait! I'm Not Finished," a memoir by Herbert Wolff that begins with three stories about his (and his brother's) life in Denver after being abandoned by his mother in the early 1930s.

Posted on May 19, 2012 1:56:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 1:58:34 AM PDT
Papaya says:
I really liked Color Blind: A Memoir It is about the daughter of a Nigerian princess raised in an all-white rural town in England by an elderly white foster mother.

Posted on May 20, 2012 8:54:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 20, 2012 9:00:16 AM PDT]

Posted on May 21, 2012 3:32:24 PM PDT
Tom Harvey says:
The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 6:46:54 PM PDT
OpusMom says:
Five Strands of Hope is a great memoir about infertility and preterm labor

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:12:15 PM PDT
Check out The Last Great Ape: A Journey Through Africa and a Fight for the Heart of the Continent It's the memoir of an activist in Central Africa, Ofir Drori, who deserves to be a celebrity, because he's fighting corrupt governments and trying to stop the ivory trade and the trade in endangered species. The book, which I co-wrote with Ofir, is as much a narrative of his current day activism as it is a coming of age story about how he found his purpose through years of searching in Africa.

Here's the blub:
An epic journey through Africa by a man who fell in love with a magical and disappearing world and then transformed himself into a warrior on the front lines to protect it.

Staging heart-pounding, espionage-style raids, Ofir Drori and his organization, The Last Great Ape (LAGA), have put countless poachers and traffickers of endangered species behind bars, and they have fought back against a Kafkaesque culture of corruption. Before Ofir arrived in Cameroon, no one had ever even tried.

The Last Great Ape follows a young Ofir on fantastical adventures as he crosses remote African lands by camel, on a horse, and in dug-out canoes, while living with exotic tribes and struggling against nature at its rawest: charging elephants and hyenas, flash floods, and the need to eat river algae and snails to stay alive. The story moves from places of extreme beauty to those of the darkest horror: the war zones of Sierra Leone and Liberia. Ofir begins to work as a photojournalist in order to expose his shocking encounter with war victims and child soldiers. His experiences forge in him a resolution to become an activist and to fight for justice.

The search for a cause eventually leads him to Cameroon. When Ofir discovers that no one is fighting to disprove Jane Goodall's dark prophesy that apes in the wild will be extinct in twenty years, he decides that he is the man to step in; because he knows he can make a difference, he sees it as his responsibility. And LAGA is born.

The Last Great Ape is a story of the fight against extinction and the tragedy of endangered worlds, not just of animals but of people struggling to hold onto their culture. The book reveals the intense beauty and strife that exist side by side in Africa, and Ofir makes the case that activism and dedication to a cause are still relevant in a cynical modern world. This dramatic story is one of courage and hope and, most importantly, a search for meaning.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 11:40:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 29, 2012 2:12:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:51:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 4:22:48 AM PDT
Ryoung says:
Check out Pozan & Dead Angel Pozan is about Alien encounter that went on for ten years Dead Angel is about growing up with Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead) and Hells Angels

Posted on May 31, 2012 5:24:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 31, 2012 5:47:08 PM PDT]

Posted on May 31, 2012 7:44:04 PM PDT
A new memoir-THE COPARAZZI
AMAZON
KINDLE

Posted on May 31, 2012 7:44:54 PM PDT
A NEW MEMOIR-THE COPARAZZI
AMAZON.COM
KINDLE

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 8:44:13 AM PDT
Please consider reading and reviewing "The Aftermath of Rock 'n' Roll" by Noelle R. Andrews

The Aftermath of Rock 'n' Roll

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 3:57:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 6:14:04 AM PDT
Eva McDonald says:
FANNY LEAR LOVE AND SCANDAL IN TSARIST RUSSIA

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:05:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 4, 2012 1:11:24 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 7:32:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 5, 2012 11:59:49 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 5:45:16 AM PDT
Cassie Harte says:
You are right George, one of my 'best reads' as well. Beautifuly written and very honest and intriguing.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 7:00:15 AM PDT
Gospel Music says:
Then: Who saw this house in her first glory? And how do ye see it now?

Great book, written in every day language, a true look into the heart! Probably one of the most honest books I have read!

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 3:35:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 9, 2012 4:18:00 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 12:09:54 PM PDT
Ron Bond says:
Hey...I'm just a kid (a true story) by Ron Bond.My memories of growing up in the Bronx (New York) in the 60's with crazzzy parents and a cast of characters from the neighborhood,family and school days.It is my life at ages 7-9.The stories are short,some fun ,some have a touch of sadness with how I survived and lessons that I learned.PLease click on it and sample the inside stories.Hope you like it!!!thanks ron

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 3:37:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 2, 2015 10:45:19 AM PST]

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 3:02:58 AM PDT
check out "Too Much Luggage" on Amazon. Also www.toomuchluggage.com
About a single mom, nurse, went back to become a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) by the grace of God....

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 9:47:56 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 4, 2012 9:51:45 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 9:50:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2012 9:52:16 AM PDT
The Boy Kings of Texas by Domingo Martinez

Lyrical and gritty, this authentic coming-of-age story about a border-town family in Brownsville, Texas, insightfully illuminates a little-understood corner of America. An astonishingly good read.

"Domingo Martinez writes like an angel - an avenging angel who instead of bringing wrath to a fallen world redeems it by using beautiful prose to turn the most awful and gritty realities into transcendent gems. This is also a significant historical document, a first person account that reveals one corner of America as it has seldom been seen. What a voice, what a story, what a testament to the transforming power of self-knowledge and the right choice of words."
- Carlos Eire, author of "Waiting for Snow in Havana" and 2003 National Book Award winner

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 6:34:35 AM PDT
Michael says:
Not foster care but an adopted home?
Flying with Cuckoos by Michael Patrick Clark

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 7:56:40 AM PDT
Nancy says:
"The Truth About Butterflies" might fit the bill. I was raised in foster care and dedicate 'Part 2' of my book to this experience.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions