Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Looking for a good memoir

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 283 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 10:35:55 AM PDT
YoTeach says:
Couple of suggestions.

A Child Called It--Written for early-teen readers; you read it for the story, not for the writing.
Sickened--Memoir of a girl whose mother has Munchausen (?) by proxy. Fascinating.
Glass Castle--Great; famous for a reason!
Ellen Foster--Also great; you don't hear a lot about it, but I stumbled on it at the library and loved it. More lyrical than the others--fine writing.
Jesus Camp--For when you're bored--not the most riveting of the bunch, IMO.
A Piece of Cake--I started it, but didn't finish it. But my YA students love it. If memory serves, I found it to use 15 words where 1 would do...
And finally, the best of the best: mine! It's a memoir called STRAIGHTLING, and it's about the government-endorsed cult, Straight Inc, where parents in the 80s paid big bucks to lock their kids up. Straight was the granddaddy of today's bootcamps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 11:08:00 AM PDT
I agree with some of these books but for me the best is Dave's Peltzer's A Child Called It. This book was my inspiration. He had a story to tell and so did I. If I hadn't read his book, I wouldn't have had the courage to write I DID TELL I DID. So, yes read this all of you who read this post.

Cassie Harte author I DID TELL I DID on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 1:42:14 AM PDT
Ryoung says:
Try Dead Angel

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 11:49:23 AM PDT
Max Gelt says:
Laura Meets Jeffrey

This isn't about foster care, it's about two sex maniacs who find each other and go wild, but LAURA MEETS JEFFREY is the best memoir I read this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 12:13:49 PM PDT
Ryoung says:
Dead Angel is great

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 5:34:56 AM PDT
Scar on my Heart Valerie McGilvrey

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 8:44:15 AM PDT
Evelyn says:
I recommend Keri:The shocking true story of a child abused. You can read my review and others. Yes, the book is about a 1,000 pages and the second book hasn't been published yet. But I thought it was well written and a very good back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 3:38:37 PM PDT
I loved Glass Castle, told my kids they should read it. I wrote "Mom's Crazy Her Bipolar Memoir" which is doing really well. Mom's Crazy Her Bipolar Memoir I plan to read, "Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, Has anyone read that?

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 4:10:26 PM PDT
Will Lutwick says:
Dodging Machetes: How I Survived Forbidden Love, Bad Behavior, and the Peace Corps in Fiji

"Lutwick's memoir is a fun romp through the tropics, featuring forbidden love and outrageous cross-cultural miscommunications. Part `South Pacific' and part adventure comedy, Lutwick's book is all heart. I cheered for him every step of the way."

- JULIA SCHEERES, New York Times bestselling, award-winning author of "Jesus Land" and "A Thousand Lives: The Untold Story of Hope, Deception, and Survival at Jonestown"

". . . an entertaining and thought provoking Peace Corps memoir. This is a fine example of what a memoir can be . . . Written with episodic, fast paced chapters it is intriguing. Once I started, I could not stop and yet, found myself thinking about his story and its themes long after the highlighted passages began to fade . . . If you enjoy a roller-coaster memoir, you'll love Dodging Machetes. It will probably win awards. Five stars."

-- LAWRENCE LIHOSIT, author of the bible for writing Peace Corps memoirs, "Peace Corps Experience: Write and Publish Your Memoir" and nine other books

Dodging Machetes: How I Survived Forbidden Love, Bad Behavior, and the Peace Corps in Fiji

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 2:52:13 PM PDT
Two books that you might also want to check out. They are also about child abuse. The first one is "Dear Teddy" by JD Stockholm. The second is "Call Me Crazy, But This Is My Life!" by Nancy Baker. This last book is my own memoir of abuse. It is currently free from July 14-16th.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 4:01:58 PM PDT
Carol Ryan says:
It's an adventure in paradise when a mid-life divorcee ditches her IT career to sail across the Pacific with a new lover and friends then the unexpected intrudes.Right Now Is Perfect: A Romance, an Adventure, the Unexpected Thereafter
Your reply to Carol Ryan's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 8:09:54 PM PDT
With everything in the news today about child molesters, the Jerry Sandusky trial and the ongoing scandals within the Catholic Church, I've recently gotten a book published that you might find very topical. It will help anyone who's interested to understand how this kind of thing continues to happen. It will also give you insight into the affect this type of abuse has on someone that young. It's called "Unraveling Charlie" and has already gotten a couple of good reviews on Amazon.
If you are interested please go to my website where you can read some sample chapters.
www.unravelingcharlie.com

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 11:53:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 31, 2012 4:30:53 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 12:54:56 AM PDT
Gaston says:
Hi,

Gaston's Secret: the lottery child. In this memoir I was raised, or saved if you like, by my grandparents. As I had no father my grandfather filled that role.

Have a look and let me know if it interests you?

Thanks,
Gaston.Gaston's Secret: the lottery child

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 3:02:20 PM PDT
Will Lutwick says:
The latest reviews are in AND THEY ARE STELLAR...

"In his beautifully written memoir...he shares thoughtful insight into Fiji's exotic history and society...Off-the-charts hysterical. An unabashed, candid memoir that continually entertains and educates."
--KIRKUS REVIEWS

"An eye-opening story about love, loss, and discrimination...Not only is this an exciting memoir, but it's a great modern day Romeo and Juliet tale. You can tell that this book was a passionate labor of love. Each page is as addicting as the last, with great emotional elements driving the story. This is a great book for those looking for a well-rounded love story with a few laughs and a lot of heart." Five Stars.
--SAN FRANCISCO BOOK REVIEW

-- LAWRENCE LIHOSIT, author of the bible for writing Peace Corps memoirs, "Peace Corps Experience: Write and Publish Your Memoir" and nine other books

SEE WHAT ALL THE FUSS IS ABOUT:

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 6:54:45 PM PDT
Brierly Ridge: Fields of Melancholy and Mania

Growing up in the smallest county of Kentucky with Bipolar Disorder. A unique read.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 6:08:02 PM PDT
The Crrossing, living a life without regret.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 8:21:14 AM PDT
Nervepalsy: Mind over Matter [Kindle Edition]Nervepalsy: Mind over Matter
A Single mother of Three Children liviing with Nervepalsy. A birth injury leads her on a journey of self discovery. Through dealing with her social complex and depression she's able to learn a valuable lesson on life that leads her to being an accomplished professional.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 8:15:50 AM PDT
Lhea J. Love says:
I liked A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown.... This is perfect inspiration for anyone going through trauma...
And The Prisoner's Wife by asha bandele... It is the most beautiful love story I've ever read. Beautifully written.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 4:32:51 AM PDT
Guido51 says:
Adytum, by Guido touches on 2 years in foster care, though it is not the core subject of the story. It is my humble hope that you may find it interesting anyway...

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:25:10 PM PST
Sophia says:
Sophia, My Life's Journey by Sophia Horbacz. True life story of survival living in Poland during WWII. Later in life dealing with her husband's bipolar disorder. A fascinating story.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:53:00 PM PST
Lucia Powers says:
"A Movie with Steve Jobs" is a true story, woman's memoir, 17500 words. Free download today. A Movie with Steve Jobs

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:44:23 AM PST
If you looking to become part of the story as you laugh, cry, wonder, and become inspired. This book will renew your belief in miracles and strengthen you Faith!

Another Second Chance

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:44:43 AM PST
DD1 says:
A Harem Boy's Saga - I: Initiation
If you're looking for an amazing memoir - this is it!! Young boy inducted into secret sexual society while at UK boarding school. This one will 'get to you.'

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:07:26 AM PST
Greg says:
This review is from: The Arrogance of Evil (Kindle Edition)
The ones with no wisdom and full of pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, sloth, and greed are the ones that possess this evil covetousness and vanity with a craving desire to consume more than they can acquire at the expense of the people, investors, poor, and needy. These are some of our leaders, bankers, CEOs and Wall Street leaders. They are a bunch of little thieves and cowards who are immoral, good for nothing, and self-gratifying, and who illustrate disgusting behaviors and wicked human passions.DOMESTIC FINANCIAL TERRORISTS. They are fixated on themselves and they operate with avarice, sadness, anger, and vanity. They are sloths. This is a very serious problem. A lot of people don't understand the seriousness of their sins towards the poor, the needy, the middle class, and the people that they hurt intentionally because of their selfishness and through their corruption. The devil's mind is locked and cannot escape corruption or greed until he exhausts every mean of distortion via the wicked to claim his victims. The wicked in power follow with misguided decisions and false evidence of his intelligence to falsely prove that his judgment is right every time. The ingredients of this false cocktail distort morality and deliver completely unsafe solutions.
I believe 100% in capitalism, but not in capitalism through corruption and greed
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions