Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

please recommend autobiographies about non-celebreties

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jul 6, 2012 3:46:06 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 426-450 of 834 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 18, 2012 9:08:40 AM PST
Cassie Harte says:
Hi Ruth, My Mother wasn't sick, I am sad to say, she just wasn't a good person. She grew up in a loving home with her cousins and Aunt and Uncle and my Nan. They were all lovley people and said she was just a cruel nasty woman.In my work, I had to believe that people are only bad because of asomething that happened to them. I know now that some people are just bad. My mother and abuser were just that.
I would love to have believed that she was ill, that could excuse her but right up until her death and even after her death, she tried very hard to hurt me.
So I know that sick she 3wasn't, bad she was
Take care
Cassie

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 10:50:22 AM PST
stefanie296 says:
Take a look at Coming To Astoria. It's what happened to me after my parents moved us from the Middle East to New York in 1968 and covers the first four years, from ages seven to eleven. It's a novelette with some humor thrown in, and shows the major differences in parenting between now and back then.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 4:15:46 PM PST
Hi Cassie,
This is strange indeed. I just don't understand it. (About your mother that is.) Did she ever show signs of remorse? Even in her last moments? Don't mean to invade your sacred space, but we (all on Amazon and all who have read your story) would like to know what you are doing now? What career path did you choose? Did you have a family of your own? Are you OK?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 2:23:28 AM PST
Cassie Harte says:
Hi Elizabeth,
In answer to your question, No, she never showed any remorse.I did believe at one satge, a few years before she died, I did hope that she would expalin or say she was sorry or even say she believed me but she didn't. She lived with my youngest sister towards the end. She had driven a huge rift between Anne and myself over the years and my sister didn't speak to me. My mother would ring late in the evening and say she was unhappy and afraid, she said my sister and her husband left her without heating and lighting etc and I was very worried for her. She was taken into hospital and I found out and arranged to go and see her without her knowing. I sat outsiede of the hospital after an 8 hour journey and waited for my sister to leave and went in to see my mother. At first she looked shocked and then the play acting began. At this visit she made me promise to go to her funeral and say goodbye to her when she passed on. I promised, thinking that any minute she would say sorry or that she loved me. She did neither.When she died, I did go and see her after a verbal fight with my younger sister and I did go to ther funeral but then found out, that our mother had continued to fuel the 'war' between us after she had died. She had made me promise her and made my sister promise the opposite, that Anne wouldn't let me see her after her death or attend her funeral. It was then I realised that she hadn't chnged and that she was still trying to cause me pain. So there you are, she couldn't or didn't love me. I think because I materialised, her affair became public and she never forgave me for that. As for career path. I am a Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist with a Masters in CBT. I have my own practice in West Wales. I live on a smallholding withh rescued ponies and horse, cats and dogs, with Daniel my husband and Lucy my youngest daughter and am very happy. Sadly I don't see Jack, his adoptive Dad made him choose and he chose his adoptive family, not really forgiving me for , in his eyes, abandoning him as a baby. This is the thing that causes most of my pain.My past doesn't leave me, there are still things that scare and worry me, but on the whole I am a survivor not a vicitim. I work with adults who have been abused and with PTSD in accident victims and will soon be working with ex servicemen with the same condition. As you will have read in I DID TELL, I have been married a few times but got it right in the end. I have Melissa and two grand children and Lucy who lives with me. My story is extraordinary and I hope one day that it will become a film. Many many of my readers hope the same. My second book NOBODY TOLD ME is about the dependency on prescribed medication, how this adversley affected my life and how the result allowed those who hurt me to continue to do so. It also tells of the horrors of withdrawal that I suffered when leaving all of that behind. Thank you so much for your interest. Perhaps you would like to look at www.cassieharte.com Where you can read the first draft of the first chapter of my new book. Still looking for a publisher. Take care Luv Cassie

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:26:04 AM PST
Thank you Cassie.
I've responded through your contact info on your web site.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 7:55:23 AM PST
Cassie Harte says:
Try I DID TELL I DID by Cassie Harte Became a number one bestseller a week after it was published. Let me know what you think.
Good luck with your film enterprise.
Cassie

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 8:10:23 AM PST
John Lazarus says:
The Book of Jacob - This may be of interest, that is if parenting memoirs interest you.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 8:15:24 AM PST
Louise says:
Cassie,
There are not too many "talkers" out there. Many of us choose to hide our childhood experiences rather than bring them out in the open. We are a rare breed. Congrats to you for your success. My site - innocenceofachild.com mentions why I wrote and published my book. I have recently made "Hiding Behind the Cloth - Memoirs of an Innocent Child" available for international purchasers on Amazon.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 9:52:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2012 10:10:18 AM PST
Whowrotewhat says:
from a Dime a Dozen to Priceless
As an eBook or paperback at
Www.vistagraphs.net/dime.html
It is my unbelievable autobiography. starts in 1940 in Orwigsburg PA in St. Francis Orphan Asylum.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 2:05:45 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 20, 2012 2:23:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:02:07 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2012 8:51:59 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:32:23 PM PST
Music From a broken violin: A Memoir sounds like what you are asking for, I believe you will be interested. It's about real people, flawed and brave and history, real life as it happens. It's well worth a look. Music From A Broken Violin: A Memoir

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 5:56:01 PM PST
Ra says:
I recently published my autobiography, Shards...a memoir, as a Kindle digital book and a Trade Paperback. It is told in 12 stories and vignettes skipping around in time. The digital version is free until midnight tomorrow (2/21/12). It starts in the aftermath of my marriage blowing up because I fell for a woman. I'd been married 8 years and had 3 Children. My husband became physically and mentally abusive, but I stayed and fought back until I could get out with my children and support them. I don't regret keeping my now-grown children, but it did make for a difficult in the lesbian relationship arena. The link to it on Amazon is:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 2:31:29 AM PST
kobe says:
This

If I were born again I would like to be the idiot

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 3:21:52 PM PST
dang says:
Dancing out of darkness was a compelling book! I couldn't put it down when I started to read it. I found it so easy to read and it held me to the end. You felt like you were on the journey with the author and it was great how you get to hear all of her inner thought processes along the way. This book was very honest and transparent and the author wasn't afraid of revealing ways of being and thinking that didn't lead to life. It was useful to see where different theology led to and how it didn't set her free and how she became free when the new revelations broke on her when she experienced God's love and grace. I believe this book will touch people from many different walks of life as it explores depression, high expectations that are put upon a person, religious ideas that don't lead to life, sexual assault, grief and loss of a loved one, marriage and the complexities of this and what makes this work, the human services careers and people's quest for peace and fulfilment. It also looks at how some-one changes as they experiences new revelation on their faith journey. It ends with a spiel about what the Good News is which is very uplifting and inspired. This book encouraged me in my faith and reinforced that 'with God all things are possible!'

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 5:30:26 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 24, 2012 7:07:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 8:49:52 PM PST
My story: Dying to get to Oklahoma

A story of an Australian family's cancer journey that includes amazing cameos by Oprah, Elvis, Patrick Swayze, Spongebob and more. It is also a tale of amazing travels in search of the treatment that had eluded them in Australia. Some tragedy, a few laughs but also the determined fight to change cancer treatment options in Australia.

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 4:07:37 AM PST
BrandTester says:
I would recommend
Butterfly Tears: Stories of Entrapment to Empowerment by Wil Drouin and Jennifer Thomas

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 7:20:11 AM PST
The Barley Hole Chronicles: From Hell to Hamburg it is my book and only 99 cents to celebrate my 89th birthday this February

Barley Hole was for my great grandfather Canaan, the land of milk and honey. For my father, it was paradise lost and for my mother, Barley Hole was a curse. It was a place that haunted her spirit and her soul throughout her life. To me, Barley Hole is a name forever etched on the map of my family's heart; it is where betrayal and injustice nearly thrust us into oblivion. The Barley Hole Chronicles are an odyssey of the human spirit that stretch across time and geography to incorporate, diverse personalities, personal hardships, World Wars and the struggle for peace and love, in a society fallen from grace. These Chronicles document one Yorkshire family's decent into the wilderness of poverty and hunger. It is a personal record of one young man's struggle to survive the great depression, the Second World War and the hazards and wonders of life in post war Germany. The Barley Hole Chronicles are a summation of two memoirs by Harry Leslie Smith 1923 and Hamburg 1947. The Barley Hole Chronicles are a true account of a time and place when life, full of raw emotion, was never so real. It is also a social history of the 20th century at its bloodiest and deadliest time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 8:14:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 7:05:08 AM PST
Cassie Harte says:
Hi Leslie, Firstly congratulations on writing the book and your great age. I have ordered it through Amazon. Let you know what I think if that's okay
Luv Cassie x

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 6:41:40 AM PST
Doremi says:
Here's an honest, funny and extremely touching TRUE story, just published..."Christmas On The Move Out West"...Portland 1968. A widower and his five children do the best they can, as seen through the eyes of a 10 year old boy. THE new baby boomer classic. Available on http://Amazon.com

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 3:14:14 PM PST
Chris says:
YOu should read the new book by an Iraqi doctor who lived through the time of Saddam Hussein - it is called The Hanging Gardens of Babylon and is a great story about life, tragedy, terror and survival.

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 7:35:58 PM PST
Kathi says:
If you are interested in an autobiography about non-celebrities...you should definitely check out our newly published book, Dandelions for Dinner.

In it we tell the true story of a family's survival of WWII Greece and the civil war that followed. It has it all: true family saga; history; hard times and humor.

Dandelions for Dinner by Sam and Peter Stamatis.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 1:04:47 PM PST
Ben Mitchell says:
Please read my book about growing up with dyslexia and ADHD: You Can't Smoke A Diploma. It is and anguished and treacherous page turner. I don't even know what that means, but... You Can't Smoke a Diploma The Mostly True Confessions of Dyslexia, ADHD and Addiction

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 5:16:01 PM PST
Mouthpiece says:
If you're looking for a book on the funnier side, give "For the Love of God: A Memoire of Army Basic Training" by Damon Ortt a shot. It's a seriously funny book, if you've ever been in the military you'll appreciate it i think.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (161 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  494
Total posts:  834
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 85 customers

Search Customer Discussions