Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Addiction/Recovery Memoir - If you like Save me From Myself..

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-28 of 28 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:17:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 4, 2012 1:19:00 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:26:35 PM PDT
Mickey Mills says:
If you like this you will like: Final Approach - Northwest Airlines Flight 650, Tragedy and Triumph

I remember the headlines, the Jay Leno jokes, and the media hoopla surrounding this event. As big a deal as the media made it, you'd thought not only was Lyle Prouse guilty of flying while intoxicated, but he also shot the pope, littered on the moon, and painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa. In 1990 I had been clean and sober a few years and while I never flew a commercial airline drunk, my escapades could have easily landed me in the same jail cell. Not one word was ever written about me... and I'm okay with that.

But this is not my story, this is Lyle's, and boy is it a good one. Setting aside the tragedy that landed him on the front page of the New York Times, his story is amazing from the earliest years in Wichita right up through his career with Northwest Airlines. Just that period is amazing enough to justify this remarkable memoir. Mix in the tragedy and triumph of flight 650 and you've got an inspiring life story that is remarkable, not only for the events, but for the how a man, faced with personal disaster, pulled himself from the pits of defeat and returned to the pinnacle of success with perseverance, courage, and honor.

I would give this book 10 stars if I could. The forward written by Ted Koppel is a great introduction for the gripping story that follows.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 2:21:24 PM PDT
James Bouwer says:
A great book about addiction and recovery is Promethean Resurrections Out of Bloody Remnants and Through Violent Flames. It gives an honest portrayal of drugs. The main character, Traverso Tinderman, runs the gamut of drugs and shows how dangerous some can be, yet how beatifully trancendent others can be. A lot of books on addiction lump all drugs into the bad category, yet some, such as the south american ayahuasca, can actually help cure one of addiction to more dangerous drugs such as crystal meth or cocaine.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions