Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

please recommend autobiographies about non-celebreties

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jul 6, 2012 3:46:06 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 834 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 28, 2011 1:56:49 PM PDT
K.C.Lauer says:
Bad Girl Gone Mom

Bad Girl Gone Mom is the true life story of K.C. Lauer. As a young girl, Lauer struggled with birth defects that made socialization difficult for her. She battles with depression and several addictions trying to deal with her emotions. When life becomes overwhelming she has to make a decision.

Bad Girl Gone Mom is not for the conservative, sheltered or easily upset individual. The story is raw, rude and revealing and contains adult language/content.

Here are some reviews to see what others are saying:
Bad Girl Gone Mom

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 2:30:44 PM PDT
Please check out my memoirs, Confessions of a Government Man. It is part autobiography, part tell-all memoirs of "Funny Happenings at High Places in Government" and a big part sitcom material (per reader comments). It's about an otherwise ordinary guy finding himself in high profile government situations. Check my Amazon page for more info. Confessions of a Government Man: How to Succeed in Any Bureaucracy

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 2:48:41 PM PDT
My Own Worst Enemy: A Memoir of Addiction

This is one of those books that you simply can't put down. One of the best addiction memoirs I have ever read.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 4:29:25 PM PDT
I recommend Catching Butterflies by freida Barnes. Great read that captures your attention on the first page. Abuse, adoption, drugs ,prison and then redemption.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 11:23:43 AM PDT
Just thought I would offer a brief summary of what memoirs seem have evolved into, on my book's blog: http://www.fatherspledge.com/?p=36

It has links back to some of my favorite examples.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 12:08:02 PM PDT
Doug DePew says:
SAT & BAF!: Memories of a Tower Rat is a memoir of my two years as security for Pershing II nuclear missiles in 1980s Heilbronn, West Germany. It carries the reader through my entire tour there. The story includes: adventure, romance, travel, history, and a lot of humor. This is an extremely rare slice of our collective history...just my little piece of the Cold War.

Millions of Americans served overseas in the Cold War. Until now, almost none of our stories have been told. I decided to tell mine for all of us. The book has nine, five-star reviews and is available in paperback or Kindle. This May marks the twentieth anniversary of the destruction of the last Pershing missile. I hope you take this opportunity to check out my story. It is a quick, entertaining read.
Thanks,
Doug DePew

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 5:18:11 PM PDT
Lost Gecko says:
Perhaps others have already recommended these:

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress

"I Am Hutterite" -- a look at a different world

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 7:06:29 PM PDT
Voluntary Peasants, a humdinger of a memoir. In the 60s, I was a UPI wire service reporter, got caught up in the spirit of the times, went to Woodstock, SF, and was a cofounder of The Farm, the biggest commune, recipient of the "alternative Nobel peace prize." Voluntary Peasants, Books 1 & 2 are now available as ebooks. Book 3 and the whole nonfiction trilogy will be in print, ebooks and audio in September. Melvyn Stiriss
Now Available at Amazon
Voluntary Peasants Book One: Enlightenment - What's It Good For
Voluntary Peasants, Book 2, Holy Hippies and the Great, Round-the-Country, Save-the-World, School Bus Caravan
Visit www.VoluntaryPeasants.com

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 6:58:04 AM PDT
H. W. Lewis says:
Granddad and the Kid is my memoir of a fatherless boy growing up in a small mid-Michigan town in the 40s and 50s, It is in the Kindle section.

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 8:13:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2011 8:13:44 AM PDT
Travelman says:
Remember the Nigeria/Biafra war that started in in 1967? Read how a young British engineer became mixed up in the beginnings of the war and how he put up with the secret police, army check points and drunken soldiers until he was evacuated from the region just before the Federal Nigerian Army captured the township. It's all action/adventure, but in real life. The Up-Country Man A personal account of the first one hundred days inside secessionist Biafra. Great reviews.
Learn more about this book and my other books at http://africantales.wordpress.com

Posted on May 1, 2011 6:02:29 PM PDT
Sakuteiki says:
The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness by Elyn R Saks, from age 8 when she began having delusions and hallucinations, until the present. Very clear descriptions of psychosis since she was non-compliant with medication for 20years.
Thinking in Pictures (Expanded, Tie-in Edition): My Life with Autism (Vintage) by Temple Grandin now in her 60s, her mother was advised to institutionalize her at age 4 when she had not started speaking. Her mother believed she could speak and worked tirelessly with her until she did speak, then forced her to attend school (which she resisted). Her mother introduced her to people who would teach her work skills via internships, ranching, research lab assisting, sewing. Her mother forced her to atttend college. Fascinating story of autism.
A Different Kind of Luxury: Japanese Lessons in Simple Living and Inner Abundance biographies of 11 rural artists who are self sufficient, financially independent, and are choosing lives of meaning. Thought provoking.
Also JK Rowling's speech available on internet encapsulates her journey from unemployed divorced nearly homeless single mother to writing on napkins to create a series of books: Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination JK Rowling 2008 commencement speech.
Enjoy!

Posted on May 4, 2011 1:14:36 PM PDT
Rhubarb77 says:
If your looking for a good bio related book I recomend Treasures From The Attic about the family of Anne Frank in just found letters mostly from Otto Frank to his sister.

Posted on May 4, 2011 1:24:58 PM PDT
J. prestidge says:
Abby Rike's Working it out is a inspiring read!

Posted on May 4, 2011 1:26:08 PM PDT
J. prestidge says:
Abby Rike's Working It Out is inspiring!

Posted on May 4, 2011 4:20:26 PM PDT
Karen B says:
The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared

This book was just released yesterday. It's a story of a young girl and her father who read to her over 3,000 nights from the time she was 9 until her first day of college.

Posted on May 4, 2011 9:41:20 PM PDT
Gary Fisher says:
At the Closing of a Day - The Diary of Sgt. Merle Alan Fisher Company B, 1st Amphibious Tractor Battalion, 1st Marine Division 1942-1944

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 6:19:36 AM PDT
Hi Patricia - I walked through the fire raising a son who walked to a different drummer and constantly bucked the system. Then he was killed in 1997 and my deep spiritual journey propelled me to help many others turn their lives around - it's all in my book, "Mothers Who Cry in the Night." This book is an intense spiritual journey that can help others emerge heroic, victorious. It's a "how to" book that can guide you through any challenge in life. It has helped parents and children all over the world. Blessings, Betsie
www.BetsiePoinsett.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 7:10:51 AM PDT
Hey there - I've recently published a memoir on my adventures producing downtown theater in New York. It might be of interest. http://www.onmakingoff.com/On%20Making%20Off.html

Posted on May 7, 2011 7:39:45 AM PDT
S. O'Mahony says:
'Tis As It Was by Norrie O'Mahony is a good little autobiography of life growing up in Ireland.
'Tis As It Was

Posted on May 8, 2011 5:07:01 AM PDT
Jean Davison says:
My memoir tells how debilitating treatment for a (mis)diagnosis of chronic schizohrenia blighted my life as a young person in the UK in the 60s/70s. I eventually managed to get out of the mental health system and build up a life for myself, but many less fortunate remain silent and silenced. I am just an ordinary person, and what happened to me, caused I believe by a rigid application of the medical model in psychiatry, could happen to anyone. My memoir is available both in paperback and Kindle. The Dark Threads

Posted on May 9, 2011 10:21:51 AM PDT
Hello,
May I introduce to you my Autobiography called 'Adelheid'.
These memoirs are funny and sad in equal measures.
From early childhood memories, life in post war Germany, struggling to make ends meet, through to leaving school and endlessly searching for the missing piece.
Living in London and Paris, marrying a Spaniard and finally settling in south London in the 1960s, juggling life as a working mum.

Adelheid
My Autobiography
by Adelheid Gomez de Vera
ISBN 978 14092 91688

Posted on May 9, 2011 10:35:47 AM PDT
I would recommend Take This Bread by Sara Miles. An atheist has an automatic conversion experience and spends her life feeding the hungry. It's edgy and inspiring at the same time.

Posted on May 9, 2011 2:59:50 PM PDT
Challenger says:
Suggest you take a look at "Tribute To A Common Man". It's easy for celebrities to be rich and famous and write books. How about all the people that pass through life and are never rich or famous? Traditional values, principles and character still matter in spite of our politically correct society. Every life has a purpose!

Posted on May 9, 2011 3:00:33 PM PDT
Challenger says:
Suggest you take a look at "Tribute To A Common Man". It's easy for celebrities to be rich and famous and write books. How about all the people that pass through life and are never rich or famous? Traditional values, principles and character still matter in spite of our politically correct society. Every life has a purpose!

Posted on May 9, 2011 6:24:37 PM PDT
D. Monroe says:
Well, there is always my biography... an Autobiographical Novel. It's got dysfunction, mental illness, crimes, love, substance abuse and just about everything that entertains people with normal lives who like to see how the not so fortunate live. That was meant to be a joke. But here it is in paperback and Kindle:

Paperback:
How I Built My House With No Doors

Kindle:
How I Built My House With No Doors

Enjoy.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (161 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  494
Total posts:  834
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 85 customers

Search Customer Discussions