Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

please recommend autobiographies about non-celebreties

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jul 6, 2012 3:46:06 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 601-625 of 834 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 13, 2012 11:12:54 PM PDT
deidre says:
Read Saving Mary: The Possession A true story about a girl's journey towards becoming possessed--an ebook

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 7:12:21 AM PDT
Carol Shimp says:
Read "Love From the Other Side" A true story about an earth bound spirit that stalked and tried to control me.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 7:56:55 AM PDT
For a biography dealing with non-celebreties, I suggest a good read in "Isabella: A Pioneer Battered Wife" by myself, Patricia Dalton-Graham. This is a true story that I'm told is a page turner by the reviewers. This is a true story told in novel form about my great-grandmother in 1919 who was a battered wife. She finaly was pushed to arm herself with a gun and her husband went too far one day, and she shot him...dead. She went on trial twice for first degree murder. The story goes into the abuse and the trials. Told like a novel of a beautiful woman.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 1:32:22 PM PDT
Carol Ryan says:
Here's a memoir
It's an adventure in paradise when a mid-life divorce ditches her computer career and sails across the Pacific with a new lover and two friends but the unexpected happens.Right Now Is Perfect: A Romance, An Adventure, The Unexpected Thereafter

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 2:19:03 PM PDT
The Mood says:
Tribute: The Dark Side of The Mood

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 2:21:04 PM PDT
The Mood says:

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 2:21:32 PM PDT
The Mood says:

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 2:42:30 PM PDT
The Little Girl That Could by Marianne Tong tells the story of a little girl who was born in Germany before World War II. Despite air raids, illness, parents' divorce, emigration to America, an interractial marriage, the little girl thrived and became a successful although famous woman.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 3:57:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 4:38:00 PM PDT
Navarth says:
100 Days of School: A 5 Year Old Boy Shares His Kindergarten Journey

My 5 year old son has written this book. This book is a detailed narration of what his 100 days were, what he learnt, liked, disliked and his achievements. I feel it is a great source of inspiration for other kids, as at such an young age, he is actually an author. The whole idea of book started from getting him off the TV, to practice some writing. The book is available on amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 4:40:33 AM PDT
What a bright young man.
May I mention Still Hopping, Still Hoping, my biography about Carla Shuford who had her leg amputated at the age of 15 and went on to lead a most inspiring life of work, voluntary service. Carla, now 68, is a good storyteller. Her stories and poems are in the book, available on Amazon and Kindle.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 8:59:27 PM PDT
"It's Not My Mountain Anymore" was written from the heart of the famous Foxfire Books in the Appalachian Mountains, and by a Foxfire former student.
Check out the reviews. It's a 5 Star on Amazon. Kindle Prime Members borrow for FREE! You won't be sorry!

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 5:50:33 AM PDT
This is a post to the original question. I think you will greatly enjoy Poked and Prodded- Two Autobiographical Medical Journeys.

It's a quick and funny read. A nice transition from the traditional autobiographical memoir approach.

Let me know what you think!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 9:47:28 AM PDT
Did you write your own screen play? I wrote a book, Nikki, and would love to get it into a screen play, but they want so much money to do it. It would make such a good movie. Ruth Burgess I used my maiden name as author, which is Ruth J. Freedman.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 10:28:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 10:33:40 AM PDT
Andrea says:
My husband recently published his autobiography entitled, "One Day at a Time". His book is an inspirational story of his battle against MS. This book is about using hope and attitude as weapons to fight through the mental gymnastics and roadblocks that MS created as his disease progressed. It features a step-by-step description of searching for answers that resulted in finally finding a label for his disabling symptoms. His life as a successful investment banker, always in control, gave way to learning that health and family were much more important than money and power when he finally retired on long term disability. His journey included traveling alone to Brazil where he spent time with a spiritual healer. This experience strengthened his resolve to never give up and use attitude to his advantage. Whoever he knows or meets has never met anyone with a stronger positive attitude. One can only understand his strength by learning about a similar battle with MS fought by his mom, who spent 13 years in a nursing home yet never complained.

You should check out this video and article written by the Denver Post about David's story: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/video/19865244/index.html One Day At A Time

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:14:53 PM PDT
Billy Allmon says:
When the Bullet Hits Your Funny Bone: the Essence of a U.S. Navy SEAL is a collection of true events about the author's time in U.S. Navy SEAL Teams and how SEALs use their humor to cope with all sorts of tragic events that they experience in their professional careers. This book offers the reader a personal glimpse into the minds of America's most elite warriors. The stories explain how SEALs bond with each other to become brothers-in-arms through their difficult training and tactical missions. This book also explains why SEALs use extreme humor, on themselves and others, in order to cope with a job that places these professional warriors face to face with death on almost a daily basis There are are those who say that it is not logical to run into the face of danger, perhaps that explains why most people think that SEALs are crazy. We prefer to look danger in the eye and not run from it, perhaps this also explains why there are not so many of us. When The Bullet Hits Your Funny Bone takes the reader on an emotional roller-coaster ride of tragedy and laughter, giving the reader a complete inner circle view into the professional and personal lives of America's most elite warriors.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:27:02 PM PDT
I Only Cry At Night, by P. Allen Jones
Memoir
http://www.amazon.com/Only-Cry-At-Night-Disease

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 9:26:46 PM PDT
Claude says:
MATTIE's KIDs on Kindle is a very interesting bio of southern families experiences coming out of poverty. Read all 116 pages.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 6:22:06 PM PDT
Reviews for It's Not My Mountain Anymore:
"What a VOICE!"....Andrea Robinson, Random House Editor
" A novel full of passion, soul and powerful writings"...Appalachian Voice
"One of the best collections of Appalachian-isms I ever came across"... Knoxville News Sentinel

Kindle Prime Members borrow for FREE! Sales benefit Appalachian preservation

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 7:36:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2012 1:48:30 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 7:26:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 7:27:23 PM PDT
Gaston says:
Hi,

Ok, so a biography from a non-celebrity is Gaston's Secret: the lottery child.

This story is about an undercover celebrity or somebody that wanted to keep his story a secret. He's got a better life than a celeb really. I mean, he can go where he wants and nobody suspects a things.

Enjoy, thanks.
Gaston.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 1:03:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 1:13:55 AM PDT
Dusty Papers says:
Try Epistolophilia: Writing the Life of Ona Simaite. It's an account of the life of an ordinary woman (a librarian) who hid people in the university library during the Holocaust in Lithuania. Just published. Epistolophilia: Writing the Life of Ona Simaite

"Sukys draws liberally from thousands of pages of correspondence and numerous diaries to create a portrait of a deeply thoughtful woman trying to make sense of history and her own life by putting it all to paper. Also of Lithuanian descent, Sukys's own meditations on the power of letters and writing make this a powerful testament to the confluence of history and individual lives and passions."-Publishers Weekly
(Publishers Weekly 20120316)

"Epistolophilia is not a typical biography, and Šimaitė was not a typical World War II hero. For readers looking for an unconventional account of the World War II and post-war eras, as well as those interested in women's life writing, Epistolophilia is a nuanced and compelling work."-ForeWord Reviews
(ForeWord Reviews 20120409)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 5:19:26 AM PDT
LettsM says:
Hi
'Loving Me: Reclaiming my power' is an autobiography

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 5:21:13 AM PDT
LettsM says:
Hi 'Loving Me: Reclaiming my power' is an autobiography

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 10:39:26 AM PDT
S. Simon says:
Blockhead Productions will be offering the Kindle version of "Notes From The Sand" absolutely free for the next 3 consecutive days (beginning tomorrow, April 24 and ending Thursday, April 26 at midnight Pacific Standard Time).

Please spread the word to all your close friends, family and colleagues about this hilarious and inspirational book and let them know about this great opportunity. Also, these will be the final three days that they can purchase the hard copy of the book for the low price of $9.99 through Amazon.

To get your free Kindle edition, beginning tomorrow, click here Notes from the Sand

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 6:51:20 PM PDT
Try The Real American Gigolo by Geoff Hampton
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (160 discussions)

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  494
Total posts:  834
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 85 customers

Search Customer Discussions