Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

please recommend autobiographies about non-celebreties

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jul 6, 2012 3:46:06 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 626-650 of 834 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 23, 2012 8:35:52 PM PDT
Paul Larosa says:
Ok, I have to recommend my just published memoir -- it has great professional and reader reviews. Please take a look and thanks. Leaving Story Avenue - My journey from the projects to the front page

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 6:16:57 AM PDT
toyofly says:
No nuts no Glory by bandit

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 3:06:08 PM PDT
Mr Nice & Mrs Marks: Adventures with Howard

Brilliant, page turning autobiography. What a life!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 3:16:54 PM PDT
My two brilliant, page turning memoirs deserve another round of recognition.
Here are the links to Jill Schaefer's website and two videos on Up The Wooden Hill and Coming of Age in California -English Style-
My website: http://home.earthlink.net/~schaefer234
http://www.eopinion.us/videos/44/coming-of-age-in-california-english-style
http://www.eopinion.us/videos/71/up-the-wooden-hill

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 8:46:32 AM PDT
memories of a mental nurse is a really good biography, which, although the title seems a bit odd is an amusing yet a pathetic account of how mentally ill people were treated in the 1970's

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 9:15:51 AM PDT
Hi Patricia, checkk out my book Missing the Big Picture, on amazon, its about my life growing up dealing with mental illness, bullying, contemplated suicide, and was able to turn things around to do stand up comedy.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 11:08:12 PM PDT
My memoir, Missing the Big Picture, was just recently released. Missing the Big Picture is an autobiographical coming of age story about one man's struggle with mental illness and suicidal thoughts, his eventual college graduation, and his career as a comedian.
Comedian Luke G. Donovan is the product of a single parent home with a mentally ill grandmother. Bullied and abused by classmates and faced with inappropriate and unprofessional faculty members in high school, he finally has a great first year of college, but continues to hear voices and have suicidal thoughts. But through it all he perseveres to earn his degree, work as a registered nurse, and become an award winning stand-up comedy performer. A story as harrowing as it is hopeful, Donovan delivers it all with a humbling dose of self-confidence and humor that is enthralling and inspirational.

For Luke G. Donovan, life in Albany is, as Erma Bombeck famously said, "like a bowl of cherries"-and he is indeed in the pits. After being a product of an estranged household, and finding his home life stigmatizing in his Catholic military high school, he is the recipient of bullying from classmates and inappropriate and unprofessional faculty members. Ultimately he transfers to a public school, but only continues to have difficulty relating to classmates. A people pleaser by nature, he is consistently taken advantage of, picked on, and unhappy with whom he is and how he looks.

From the age of eighteen through his graduation from college, Donovan hears voices in his mind, voices that lead to thoughts of suicide. Through perseverance and courage, however, he is able to emerge from these trying times as a registered nurse. And as he continues to grow as a person, he begins to understand what he calls the big picture: self-confidence, compassion for others, and a positive, realistic attitude. And instead of letting anger at his treatment consume him, he uses it to help heal himself and others with laughter.

Shining light on a litany of taboo subjects, Donovan illuminates the profound truth that relationships, friendships, peer pressure, and body image are not gender issues-rather they are human issues. A powerful, inspirational coming of age journey, Missing the Big Picture shatters stereotypes as it teaches tolerance and acceptance.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 3:25:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 3:25:36 AM PDT
Louise says:
Patricia, your book "Isabella: A Pioneer Battered Wife" sounds really interesting, I think I might read that soon. My own suggestions on the same theme of women eventually escaping the clutches of abusive men are;
Deceived: A True Story
and
Miss Sharpe Takes Control - Memoirs of a Dominatrix

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 11:58:42 AM PDT
L. Ron Hubbard: Images of a Lifetime : A Photographic Biography

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 4:41:38 PM PDT
Phoenix says:
Read DIARY OF LOVE PAINFUL DARK AND LONELY POEMS a poetic narrative.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 6:08:14 AM PDT
Sybil Belcon says:
Hi my name is Sybil and I have finally finished my story. LET THE WALLS FALL DOWN is a journey to forgiveness for myself and my mother. She was mentally ill and there was a lot of abuse in my childhood. I spent many years in anger pain and fear. But before she died she was attacked and they called me. I was forty yrs old and had not seen her in ten years.
The next three months, by the grace of God, became the most important of both our lives.
It is available for Kindle. I am going to take a look at some of the others that I have seen in this tread.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:28:38 AM PDT
Thomas says:
Read Turtle: The American Contrition of Franz Ferdinand, by Mik Everett. It's not about Franz Ferdinand! It's a true story about a really horrible situarion for a family to be in, and how they all throw each other under the bus, so to speak.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 5:36:51 PM PDT
DrMergatroid says:
Autobiography of a Hobo

Hi, I'm the proofreader of this historic manuscript. It was submitted multiple times during the author's lifetime, but due to the fact it was written it english longhand, it was deemed unsuitable for the commercial market. It took the Author's grandchildren 12 years to produce a typewritten version, and several more years to produce this modern version. I hope you enjoy it.

There will be a free promotion for 5 days, starting on May 10th through the 14th, so mark your calandars if you like free books.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 10:30:27 PM PDT
I'm author of the book: 'When I was a Lad and later', and I also have on my mind to do the DVD and short movie of 'D'Angri'.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 8:31:18 AM PDT
You should take a look at my E-book "THE REAL AMERICAN GIGOLO"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 7:09:23 PM PDT
Hi Geoff. Have ordered your book, and it will be my reading tonight. I read a little and I start to like it.
Regards

Raymond

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 1:18:32 PM PDT
Bill D says:
If you want to read an autobiography of an ordinary person in extraordinary circumstances, something steeped in our nation's history, this September 11th story is one of a kind. Please read "Delay, Deny, Hope They Die."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 2:25:58 PM PDT
Carol Shimp says:
I made a note on your title and will look it up. Blessings

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 3:33:35 PM PDT
...but they call me Sonny But they call me Sonny is also available on Kindle for $9.99 or in paperback. I don't know why the book is marked so high, it is as if one book needs to support the whole lot... So far, a majority of readers have given positive feedback on this book. They seem to associate with, and while reading, seem to experience the same gamut of emotions Sonny must go through in his search to find his dad. This book offers a good account of how the country goes through and pulls together to survive the Great Depression. Mostly this book contains information just now being taught in our schools.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 4:45:37 PM PDT
My autobiography "In My Grandfather's House: A Catskill Journal" is a heartwarming account of growing up in upstate New York during the 1950's and 60's. It was reviewed as "...a work of genuis which is timeless forever." (J. Briant, Author, "One Cop's Story" and the Adirondack Detective Series) Available on Amazon. Best of luck with your production! Marilou Trask-Curtin

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 11:29:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2012 11:32:20 AM PDT
A. Oswald says:
I am a writer/photographer who has documented the AIDS pandemic for over a decade. JOURNEYS THROUGH DARKNESS tells the story of AIDS through the story of photographer Kurt Weston who, while finding his way through the darkness of AIDS and related visual loss, becomes an AIDS warrior at war with the disease, and also an award-winning visual artist. The book includes several photographs by Kurt Weston. Journeys Through Darkness: A Biography

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 12:46:16 PM PDT
I am definitely going to read this book because I lost someone I dearly loved to this horrible disease. Thank you for the recommendation.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 1:11:18 PM PDT
A. Oswald says:
Hi, Marilou T. Curtin! Appreciate your post. I think it's important to continue talking about "this horrible disease" (well said) and to keep it at bay for as many patients as possible. We are making strides in finding a cure. One day we will!

Thanks so much!
Alina Oswald

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 2:19:34 PM PDT
D. Perkins says:
Im Miles Perkins my autobiography is Tears Behind My Eyes/My Life, everyone has a story to tell and this is mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 2:22:01 PM PDT
D. Perkins says:
Tears Behind My Eyes/My Life

You want to know about me? Well I'm going to tell you. The best way to live life is to live it with no regrets. I most certainly don't have any. I can tell you that I am blessed and privileged to have had the opportunities that life has given me. A proud legacy of being in the Marine Corp, something I'll treasure for life. Who says having children doesn't make you better or at least it should. When you have to care for someone other than yourself, you learn to slow down and not take as many risks, as I was so accustom to doing. I think most people's lives are interesting, if they have the guts to share it. I can say that some of my experiences have shaped the way I think and have colored much of who I am today.
I believe this is true for most. Looking back on some of my most outrageous memories and my bleakest moments, I can look ahead and honestly say that it is far from being over. So let me catch you up. I so very much enjoyed my childhood, I'm sorry if you didn't. But if you didn't, throw yourself into mine, as I share the craziness of it all. Walk with me through the sands of the Middle East while I describe in detail what made those experiences so outrageous. Learn some lessons from my mistakes, I know I did. But in the least, I know you will be captivated by my most intimate memoires. Though the good outweighed the bad, there were some things that actually made me cry. I know, most men won't usually share that information with you, I guess that's what makes me different. Enjoy.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  494
Total posts:  834
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 85 customers

Search Customer Discussions