Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

please recommend autobiographies about non-celebreties

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Jul 6, 2012 3:46:06 PM PDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 726-750 of 834 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 22, 2012 12:42:08 PM PDT
Gardengal says:
In the Garden with Billy: Lessons about Life, Love and Tomatoes
A biography about an 80-year-old farmer in Atlanta Georgia and how his simple lifestyle inspires other. This book has made him a celebrity. Those who love him are hoping for a Hallmark movie.

Posted on May 22, 2012 3:52:58 PM PDT
The 'Little' Flying Dutchman
If you would like to read an interesting, 'immigrant' story and have $ 3.99 left over, give my little book a try. The pictures alone are fun to look at. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:01:15 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
I'm working on an autobiography and I'm a complete nobody.

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:10:24 PM PDT
Check out The Last Great Ape: A Journey Through Africa and a Fight for the Heart of the Continent. It's the memoir of an activist in Central Africa, Ofir Drori, who deserves to be a celebrity, because he's fighting corrupt governments and trying to stop the ivory trade and the trade in endangered species. The book, which I co-wrote with Ofir, is as much a narrative of his current day activism as it is a coming of age story about how he found his purpose through years of searching in Africa.

Here's the blub:
An epic journey through Africa by a man who fell in love with a magical and disappearing world and then transformed himself into a warrior on the front lines to protect it.

Staging heart-pounding, espionage-style raids, Ofir Drori and his organization, The Last Great Ape (LAGA), have put countless poachers and traffickers of endangered species behind bars, and they have fought back against a Kafkaesque culture of corruption. Before Ofir arrived in Cameroon, no one had ever even tried.

The Last Great Ape follows a young Ofir on fantastical adventures as he crosses remote African lands by camel, on a horse, and in dug-out canoes, while living with exotic tribes and struggling against nature at its rawest: charging elephants and hyenas, flash floods, and the need to eat river algae and snails to stay alive. The story moves from places of extreme beauty to those of the darkest horror: the war zones of Sierra Leone and Liberia. Ofir begins to work as a photojournalist in order to expose his shocking encounter with war victims and child soldiers. His experiences forge in him a resolution to become an activist and to fight for justice.

The search for a cause eventually leads him to Cameroon. When Ofir discovers that no one is fighting to disprove Jane Goodall's dark prophesy that apes in the wild will be extinct in twenty years, he decides that he is the man to step in; because he knows he can make a difference, he sees it as his responsibility. And LAGA is born.

The Last Great Ape is a story of the fight against extinction and the tragedy of endangered worlds, not just of animals but of people struggling to hold onto their culture. The book reveals the intense beauty and strife that exist side by side in Africa, and Ofir makes the case that activism and dedication to a cause are still relevant in a cynical modern world. This dramatic story is one of courage and hope and, most importantly, a search for meaning.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:22:27 PM PDT
Recently published -- When Johnny Came Marching -- by John R. Downes

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 6:27:29 PM PDT
Carol Shimp says:
John Lane, you are not a nobody. When you write an autobiography you are somebody. We all have a story to tell. Mine is "Love From the Other Side." five years of rewrites, tears and joy went into my manuscript. When your book is complete you will be a somebody. Blessings

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 6:42:40 PM PDT
Carol: you are so right about all of us having a story and that completing any work of art, whether it be written, played on a musical instrument or painted gives such an intense and deeply spiritual feeling of peace. My own book, that I think must be similar to yours is also an autobiography of my spirit encounters with departed loved ones and pets via visits and dreams. That is why your title intrigued me. My title is "Dreaming of the Dead: Personal Stories of Comfort and Hope" and it was a lifetime in the making. Over 20 years ago I made a vow to myself to be published by Llewellyn Publications, the biggest publisher of paranormal, etc writing. Last year my dream came true (and yes, after many re-writes, edits, etc) It is not now about anything to do with ego it is about this book giving comfort and hope to people who read it. There are so many marvelous levels to writing andf so many miracles--I feel so blessed. Best of luck with your work!

Posted on May 22, 2012 7:39:11 PM PDT
Carol Shimp says:
Thank you Marilou, I will look your book up and also your publisher. I'm writing my second book and I'm not sure where I want to have it published. Thank you & Blessings.

Posted on May 22, 2012 7:46:44 PM PDT
Kim Dalferes says:
I can't imagine my stories ever being used for film adaptation, but it sure is fun to think about which actors would portray the people from my life! I think you might enjoy my book "I Was In Love With a Short Man Once: And Other Tales From a Crazy Southern Irish Gal." It's an essay collection, written in memoir style.

Posted on May 22, 2012 10:17:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 29, 2012 2:12:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:55:59 AM PDT
Cassie Harte says:
Carol and John,, I couldn't agree more Carol. I wrote my autobiography I DID TELL I DID.I always knew I had a story to tell, to hopefully inspire others who had suffered in the same way. I never in a thousand years expected it to go to No.1 in the bestsellers in less than a week of publication and still be selling 18months later. We all have a story to tell, our story and I say, that no-one is a nobody. If you are brave enough to write your life down and if people are willing to read that story, the you have done a great job. So John and any one esles who wants the world to know, take and chance and good luck to all of you 'nobodies' who can become somebody x

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:17:57 AM PDT
Carol Shimp says:
Cassie thank you for your support. We all need inspiration from time to time.

Posted on May 23, 2012 8:05:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 23, 2012 8:08:48 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:01:06 AM PDT
Cassie Harte says:
You're more than welcome. I encourage people to write, we need writers and most people have a story to tell. So if that's you, go for it. You never know what might happen. Look at me. x

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 2:43:17 PM PDT
Look at my book: Pieces of String Too Short to Save; a Memoir about Life, Journalism and Foreign Service." It follows my career as a journalist and foreign correspondent, and the lives of my wife and four children as they followed me to Asia, Israel, Africa and eventually an outpost known as Texas. Bob Chancellor

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 2:45:15 PM PDT
John M. Lane says:
Thanks Carol Shimp, and Marilou T. Curtin. I may give it a try.

:)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 6:49:45 PM PDT
You are most welcome John...best wishes and best of luck always. Marilou

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 8:15:13 PM PDT
Try Maddalena, the life story of a poor Italian immigrant as she grows up in Italy, is brought to America by her husband at a young age, must raise a family in the slums of Chicago with little help, and through it all maintains a sweetness and lovingness that nothing could kill. It is in novel form but follows the facts of my grandmother's life. It was written by my 93 year old mother.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 10:24:39 PM PDT
John Doe says:
Based On A True Lie, by M. Charles Mcclam II

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:55:41 AM PDT
Ryoung says:
Pozan & Dead Angel

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 5:22:45 AM PDT
@Christopher. Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. My parents were immigrants as well. My father survived internment in a German POW camp during WWII.
Best of luck on your novel.
POW #74324

Posted on May 25, 2012 5:49:42 PM PDT
Are you in the mood for a few names out of the past? A few so-called celebrity-sightings? You might like to check out: "TALES OF HOLLYWOOD" - A MEMOIR 4-Stars. The memoir includes names like Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland, Shelley Winters, Frances Farmer, Robert Stack, Gig Young, Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, George Cukor, Jack Palance, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Paul Newman and many others.

Would appreciate you giving the Memoir a look-see. $2.99.

Cheers!

John L.

Posted on May 26, 2012 6:50:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 29, 2012 2:12:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 11:49:20 AM PDT
Elizabeth B says:
Please take a look at The Secret Life of Objects, just out. It's about how our stuff tells our stories.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 1:03:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 4, 2012 1:23:52 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  494
Total posts:  834
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 85 customers

Search Customer Discussions