Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Looking for a good memoir

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 283 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 16, 2011 5:15:34 PM PST
What are wisdom and intelligence by James Kelley
Here is my books query. Do you believe a "Grass roots" book like this one will make it in our society today?
James Kelley

"What are wisdom and intelligence" chronicles the life of an average American's struggle through a society eclipsed by a man-made distortion of true reality. This 430 page book shows people the everyday roller coaster of an average Jim in 65 chapters peppered with the morals, ethics and coping skills learned through life experiences. Written for my children, this book has an intense feel of introspect; and by reading this material, it will take you back to a lot of your own memories and give YOU back to the basics of YOU.
This book will show you the simple things that are becoming lost in a society distracted by the complexities of life itself. "What are wisdom and intelligence" doesn't speak of the actual meaning of wisdom and intelligence but instead poses the question of whether our society needs to ask this question in the first place or does society automatically judge a person by there wisdom and intelligence? This unique view of the simple man's life brings back a sense of integrity through making bad decisions and seeing the results first hand. These missteps are further compromised due to the apathy of our time. Society has become too complicated in its own intelligence. People with a lot of education think that they have all the answers and often times refuse to listen to "the common man's" wisdom. Here in lies the premise of my book and the average "Jim's" plight.
My life and in turn my book is filled with "the simple things in life that save us all." Integrity, morals, ethics and a simple smile are the tools of an average Jim. My experience is life itself, nothing more and nothing less. I was a Jack of all trades and master of none. I started as a Marine and then did a bit of everything; truck driver, cowboy, fence contractor, restaurant manager, and taxi driver just to name a few. Also at one point, I hitch hiked across the US. My strength and wisdom came with time, as it should. The common sense approach to life is what brings me around to today. My daily inspirational thoughts on the internet have become strength for many and in time, I hope, will be one of the strengths of my book. My public speaking, thus far, has been filled with music, laughter and inspiration. People are searching, in many ways, for answers when they are right there in front of them and that is what makes this book so inspirational and introspective. People see themselves through the words I give to my children and in turn find the joy in their own life. There are no magic words to restore the basic realities of life but in there own minds. All they need to do is take away the distortions of wisdom and intelligence.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to look at my simple book of life and hope that it will be the inspiration for you to want more. Please feel free to contact me and hope to hear from you soon. Thank you so much for your time.
Respectfully,
James H. Kelley

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 8:57:33 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 18, 2011 10:24:14 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 9:47:35 PM PST
KimJ says:
Check out In a Flash: Miracles Here and Beyond by Kim Justus.

See inaflash.org or the Amazon/Kindle listing for more information. If you ever wanted to know about life after death, or enjoy quick reading intense memoirs...This is one not to miss!

Give a new author a chance...You won't regret it.

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 12:38:21 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2012 8:52:50 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 10:48:43 AM PST
MJ Hammond says:
Beautiful Bad Girl: The Vicki Morgan Story
Beautiful Bad Girl by Gordon Basichis

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 11:55:06 AM PST
Kyle Knutson says:
"Alexander Dolgun's Story: An American in the Gulag", by Alexander Dolgun (with Patrick Watson). That which Mr. Dolgun suffered and endured in the Soviet prison system of the late 1940's and early 1950's is far beyond what most anyone could possibly fathom. But he survived. A stunning triumph of astounding, astounding courage and strength.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2011 12:19:22 PM PST
Rising Above the Storm This is a good choice related to what you are looking for..

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 12:17:01 PM PST
I recommend "No Place Safe," by Kim Reid. This memoir is about the author, as a young black girl, growing up in Atlanta during the time of the Atalanta Child Murders. The author's mother is a cop and was eventually placed on the task force for the Child Murders. One of the dead boys' bodies is found about 1 block from the author's childhood home. The story is about how the Atalanta Child Murders changed her mother, changed her family, and changed the way the author led her life as a child. The book won an award for the best creative non-fiction. Excellent book. I had to order it used, as the book is no longer in print, but it is well worth the read.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 5:36:43 AM PST
1923: A Memoir Lies and Testaments 99 cents

It's a personal as well as a social history. Smith has the knack of bringing the times to life in a way that few writers can manage. It's the ability to tell a story, the knowledge of when to move on & not labour a point.--The Bookbag

1923 is a book that succeeds in two ways with ease, both as a personal memoir of a life lived in a volatile age and as a record of that age for all time. --The Current Reader

"1923" is uplifting and highly recommended. --Midwest Book Review

1923: A Memoir is a protest against social injustice, corruption, war, famine, poverty, and societies blinded by greed. More importantly, it is the story of hope and the notion that anything can be overcome if desired. --The Publishing Guru
Smith stays true to himself and his inner voice as he recounts the events of his early life.-Feeding My Book Addiction
Product Description
To say that Harry Smith was born under an unlucky star would be an understatement. Born in England in 1923, Smith chronicles the tragic story of his early life in this first volume of his memoirs. He presents his family's early history-their misfortunes and their experiences of enduring betrayal, inhumane poverty, infidelity, and abandonment.

1923: A Memoir presents the story of a life lyrically described, capturing a time both before and during World War II when personal survival was dependent upon luck and guile. During this time, failure insured either a trip to the workhouse or burial in a common grave. Brutally honest, Smith's story plummets to the depths of tragedy and flies up to the summit of mirth and wonder, portraying real people in an uncompromising, unflinching voice.

1923: A Memoir tells of a time and place when life, full of raw emotion, was never so real.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 5:52:52 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 15, 2012 8:03:55 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 12:30:10 PM PST
Reader1 says:
"Under Revision," by Michelle Kohrs...Its not about foster care but probably should have been...CPS was definitely involved. Heart wrenching and inspiring.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 6:44:30 PM PST
The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family
Josephine

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 6:51:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2012 8:24:08 PM PST
When Doctor M. Scott Peck suggested Elan to my parents I was skeptical because the first program he sent me to was a drug program, and I had never done drugs. He said it wasn't, and that Elan treated teens with emotional problems. He told me that Elan had psychiatrists and counselors, and activities, so I agreed to go.

What I witnessed was unbelievable. Elan was an insane asylum, run by the inmates, and Joe Ricci was God. For more than thirty years I told people I had been in prison, rather than the truth of what happened there. After you read this book you will understand why.

A Life Gone Awry: My Story of the Elan School (Memoir Series Book One 1)

This book helped close down the Elan School in Maine. One of the most abusive and controversial drug treatment programs since Synanon. It has gone viral on Face Book and on Troubled Teen Industry sites

All proceeds go to organizations that fight abuse of teens in programs, and to families of mentally ill children

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 7:45:51 AM PST
Descartes says:
How about an english translation Herr Krei?

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 9:53:40 AM PST
Louise says:
Hiding Behind the Cloth - Memoirs of an Innocent Child

Read the reviews.

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 11:04:14 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 23, 2012 11:16:13 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 7:18:15 PM PST
Your book sounds interesting. Is it selling on amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 10:20:11 AM PST
Louise says:
Charlotte, whose book are you referring to? If you are referring to "Hiding Behind the Cloth - Memoirs of an Innocent Child", it is selling on amazon. Out of 15 million available paperbacks, it is ranking between 100,000-200,000 which is quite good. There are two excellent reviews as well. If you were referring to another book, my apologies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 1:42:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2012 1:54:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 1:50:07 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2012 1:51:14 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 5:40:55 PM PST
Hi Louise. I was talking about my memoir that was published 11/8/11. Why? by Charlotte Cunningham.Why?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 5:48:40 PM PST
Hi Louise. Yes I was talking about Hiding behind the cloth. It sounds interesting. I thought you were asking me about my book Why? but that was someone else. Are you the author to Hiding behind the cloth-Memoirs of an innocent child?. I'm going to read your book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 6:26:54 PM PST
Louise I just read two reviews on your book. Wow, it sounds like a great book. I'm going to read it for sure. Have you forgiven these people for the terrible things they did to you? Forgiving my Mom is one of the hardest things I have ever tried to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 12:09:18 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 22, 2012 6:49:02 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 12:14:22 PM PST
Tom Brown says:
Summer Of Love, My Ass!: A Memoir June 12, 1967 - April 28, 1969
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 47 customers

Search Customer Discussions