Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Biography forum

WHAT T IS THE BEST BIOGRAPY YOU EVER READ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2009 9:49:03 AM PDT
Any suggestions on a good bio on Woodrow Wilson and/or the Progressive Era????

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 11:07:01 AM PDT
Stolen Lives, Malika Oufkir.

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 11:14:39 AM PDT
W. Bachmann says:
A new gem from the pen of Carlo d'Este, military historian ( of PATTON fame ) entitled
WARLORD - a life of Winston Churchill at war -don't miss it !

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2009 6:13:18 PM PDT
Schmerguls says:
If you don't want ot read Arthur Link's multi-volume work on Wilson, I suggest the two volumes by Walworth. Here are my comments on them afte I read them:

3184. Woodrow Wilson I: American Prophet, by Arthur Walworth (read 18 Apr 1999) This book won the 1959 Pulitzer prize for biography, and since I am sort of "doing" that list, I read this. I had read Link's books on Wilson and found them great, but that was back in 1980 and I found this book fresh and good. It is generally favorable to Wilson, but not hagiographic. I think Wilson had elements of greatness.

3185. Woodrow Wilson II: World Prophet, by Arthur Walworth (read 22 Apr 1999) The book is well-done and while the last chapters tell a sad story, I appreciated the work greatly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2009 6:55:12 PM PDT
Thank you.

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 7:50:08 PM PDT
cash says:
Lincoln by Ronald J White
American Lion by jon meacham

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 5:23:11 AM PDT
Jan Odegaard says:
Finally! I was going to mention "Nicholas & Alexandra" by Robert Massie, and here it is, at last.
Also, "The Diary of Anne Frank".
I have at least 5 biographies of Queen Victoria, the oldest having been written the year she died. I haven't read any of them yet but of those who have, what do you recommend as the best?

Napoleon Bonaparte is one of my favorite people in history. I read that more books have been written about him than anyone except Jesus Christ! Any good suggestions on biographies of The Little Emporer? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 5:29:23 AM PDT
Jan Odegaard says:
My husband just finished Clapton's autobiography, he read it nonstop and thoroughly enjoyed it! Apparently, "Tears In Heaven" was written about the death of his father, not his son Colin.
Bill told me that, if nothing else, I had to read the last chapter: I confess, I don't remember why now, but I intend to read the entire book anyway!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 5:37:15 AM PDT
Jan Odegaard says:
What's the name of the author? Who is "She"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 5:47:21 AM PDT
Schmerguls says:
My favorite Queen Victoria bio is:
Queen Victoria Born to Succeed, by Elizabeth Longford (read 18 Aug 1966)
As to Napoleon, here are comments on two I read recently:

3076 Napoleon Bonaparte, by Alan Schom (read 15 May 1998) This is the first Napoleon biography I read since August of 1957 when I read John Holland Rose's two volume work. Schom is very anti-Napoleon, and the book leads me to conclude that Napoleon was an evil and despicable man. Why does he have an aura of glory about him? I believe it is because Frenchmen often are proud of his victories. This book is solidly researched--the huge bibliography is made up mostly of French books. Napoleon's life is a fantastic one, and much of it is absorbedly interesting. The book has nearly 800 pages of text, and I must admit some of the battle accounts are not super-interesting. But all other parts I found really absorbing reading.

3653. Napoleon A Biography - Frank McLynn (24 Nov) Even though it is less than five years since I read Alan Schom's biography of Napoleon, when I saw this new one I could not resist. This is a bit more balanced than Schom's (who could not find one good thing to say about his subject) and I think is a better work, though it lacks footnotes, but there are 49 pages of "sources" with most being French. The career of Napoleon never ceases to amaze and I enjoyed this book a lot, though much was not new. One stands in wonder how quickly Napoleon turned into a haughty person, and how all his family became rapacious people. This was a great book to read.

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 5:57:47 AM PDT
Jan Odegaard says:
Being a historian as well as an avid reader, I guess I'd better find copies of McCullough's bio of John Adams and "American Lion", about Andrew Jackson; both are mentioned multiple times.

At the other end of the subject, Worst Biography I've Ever Read: "Steve Perry, A Singer's Journey" by Laura M. Cucu; an "unauthorized biography" and one can see why. The reviews were pretty bad but since I want to know all things Steve Perry I bought it. To the millions of fans of "The Voice": save your money! Reviews slammed her writing style---when I got the book I learned that it's her first book written in English. I can forgive that, but not her lack of research or substance, the book is nothing but pieces of published interviews, magazine articles, etc. I've been told someone is writing a history of the band Journey, and I look forward to that if it ever gets done!

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 6:08:16 AM PDT
"The Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant." I feel it is the best autobiography written by an American.

RG Carroon

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 6:09:55 AM PDT
The Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant. I believe this is the finest autobiography written by an American.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 6:19:50 AM PDT
Jan Odegaard says:
Thank you so much! I don't have the book you mentioned about Queen Victoria but will see if I can find it. I have others on her children; only one on Prince Albert, her husband, he seems harder to find. A fellow Victorian researcher suggested "The Mother of England", but she wasn't sure if that title was correct.

I think Napoleon was a madman and a genius! I'm not anxious to read alot of detail on his military exploits but that is where he did shine, I suppose (most of the time). Was there anyone ever more ambitious? Egotistical? Manipulative? I haven't read any books about him since high school (1960's) but recently bought "Napoleon & Josephine, An Improbable Marriage" by Evangeline Bruce and "Napoleon For Dummies": thought that might be a good start!? I did read one book about his family, many years ago: "rapacious", now that sounds like a good word for his mother and sisters!
I do thank you for your suggestions, and I'll look for those books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 6:22:53 AM PDT
Jan Odegaard says:
Oh, I've always wanted to read that! How long is it, and is it still easy enough to find? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 6:54:35 AM PDT
Schmerguls says:
On Prince Albert: Prince Albert A Biography, by Robert Rhodes James (read 5 Oct 2006)

My comment thereon:
4215 Prince Albert A Biography, by Robert Rhodes James (read 5 Oct 2006) The subject of this well-done biography was born 26 Aug 1819 near Coburg, Germany, and died the husband of Queen Victoria on 14 Dec 1861 at Windsor Castle. I read its author's The British Revolution, 1880-1939, on Sept 12, 1985, with much enjoyment, and this book tells of an interesting life very important to 19th century Britain. While the Queen and Albert were devoted to each other they often had big quarrels and I am sure that Albert thought he was much wiser than she. Overall, Albert did a lot of things right, including, shortly before he died, defusing the Trent Affair (see the book Senator James Murray Mason, read by me 28 June 2006). This is as good a royal biography as I have read in years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 9:21:33 AM PDT
L. Golan says:
If you are looking for more rock autobiographies, I would recommend the most recent memoir by Cynthia Lennon. She writes about her life after John. Her end of the book was stunning. Given the chance to go back and start her relationship with Lennon, she would have run the other way. Did not expect that-

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 12:15:17 PM PDT
tor says:
An underrated memoir in my opinion is Outrageous Good Fortune by Michael Burke. He was an all-american football player at Penn in the 1930's before serving in the OSS during and after WWii in europe. He went on to run Ringling Brothers Circus then the Yankees and Madison Square Garden. He died shortly after it came out in the mid eighties. It is not sweeping history but it was a true life adventure I could not put down.

Posted on Jun 13, 2009 3:35:35 PM PDT
BRCaples says:
"What Remains". Read it at least 10 times. Excellent and beautifully written.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2009 4:09:33 PM PDT
The Protector the Randy Shankle Story

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 6:39:11 AM PDT
I read this book long time ago but it has never left my mind..although not a typical biography or autobiography I had seen this guy on Johnny Carson and he was so interesting I just had to have his book, titled Up From Never by Joseph Sorrento..I made the mistake of loaning it out and over the years I lost contact with this friend and the
book.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 11:17:30 AM PDT
Verum says:
Ir would be a toss up for me. I found Lindbergh by Scott Berg to be a meticuliously researched and extremely well written biography. He was the first author to have full access to all the Lindbergh papers.

Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank is one of the most moving pieces of literature I've ever read. It really falls in to the catogory of Memoir.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 2:50:58 PM PDT
J4A72 says:
Last Train To Memphis - The Life and Times of Elvis Presley

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2009 8:11:23 PM PDT
Buddha Baby says:
There are several books with that title - which one are you referring to? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2009 1:07:22 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 15, 2009 1:07:37 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (161 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  765
Total posts:  1159
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 82 customers

Search Customer Discussions