Bio's about growing up

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 195 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 8:18:37 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2012 8:43:31 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 10:29:04 AM PST
L.T. Woody says:
IN BLACK IN WHITE

If you like The Catcher in the Rye, you might like IN BLACK IN WHITE.

While my book is nonfiction, it is an easy "read", and somewhat of a fun romp, sometimes through the eyes of a teenager. It describes how I learned to deal with life at an elite New England boarding school, St. Paul's School of Concord, NH, that was far outside of my experience as a kid straight out of the "hood", the "real hood".

IN BLACK IN WHITE contains many lessons for smart young men and women trying to make something of their lives. All of it told from an intelligent, thoughtful perspective that makes the two, very different, environments discussed accessible to readers from any background. That is what I set out to do with this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 2:32:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2012 8:13:35 PM PST
Gotta tell you. I'm so glad I tuned into this discussion group. I got the best recommendation of a "growing pains" bio I've ever read. This is one everyone can relate to on some level. Check it out on "Look Inside"
The Invisible Thread: A Journey Home

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 6:34:35 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2012 3:52:26 PM PST]

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:08:44 PM PDT
Damian Nash says:
The Man Who Quit Money, by Mark Sundeen. It is an amazing tale about my best friend Daniel, who is both an explorer and a modern day prophet. An awesome romp of a read, beautifully done. The Man Who Quit Money

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:43:31 PM PDT
K. Dicciani says:
Read this book called The Seven Year Spliff a day ago in one sitting. Pretty funny and entertaining. It's about a kid in a haze of pot growing up, going to high school, college (failing out), culinary school, and a big university all while being lost and stoned. Definitely recommend it. The Seven Year Spliff

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 2:03:27 PM PDT
Well since everyone seems to be recommending their books, I'll put in a plug for my memoir Holy Ghost Girl. Favorably reviewed by the NY Times, People, and Oprah. It's funny, poignant and brings to life the world of big time tent revivals as experienced by a kid growing up in the sixties. It's an inside look at an American subculture few know much about.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 6:15:01 PM PDT
jack wright says:
I bought it for my wife for her birthday. I can't wait to read it myself.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 2:11:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 3, 2012 2:21:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 11:49:43 AM PDT
Omar says:
Try this one:
Coming To Astoria
Latest review:
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It put me into the time and place with an immigrant family and even more so, into the childhood of the author. You can feel the mood, hear the conversations, experience the little joys and appreciate the opportunities they had in America.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 4:54:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 7, 2012 5:24:56 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 5:20:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 5:24:49 AM PDT
Missing the Mark: A Target Child Speaks by Keith Hoerner on Amazon
You Tube Video (Copy and Paste in Address Bar):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skl3oh4FCb0

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 3:09:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2012 7:58:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:29:06 PM PDT
Autobiography about growing up with Sickle Cell Disease
I Only Cry At Night, By P.Allen Jones
http://www.amazon.com/Only-Cry-At-Night-Disease

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:44:59 AM PDT
Dave Cooper: On The Edge Of LondonYou might want to try this - it's about growing up in and around London...and then moving on in life

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 11:46:31 AM PDT
Tom Harvey says:
Hi Kelly:

Please consider my just-released memoir, "The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!"

It's now available on Amazon and is currently being converted to the Kindle format.

Thanks so much!

Tom Harvey
AuthorTomHarvey.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 8:34:58 AM PDT
M. Burton says:
I honestly cannot believe the number of self-serving authors who responded to your request!! Shameful.
By far, the book that changed my life at the age of 15 was "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Dr. Maya Anglelou ~ you will be hard pressed to find a more engaging, moving, honest account of living in the worst kinds of hardship, yet triumphing over it. I was not much of a reader at that age, but I could not put the book down until it was finished ~ and then I read it again! Most importantly, it opened my eyes to the reality of the world, and to the rewards found within the pages of books.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 9:40:19 PM PDT
Tom Harvey says:
The Eighties: A Bitchen Time To Be a Teenager!: a memoir by Tom Harvey

Wanna trade books?!

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:36:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 1:16:03 PM PDT]

Posted on May 26, 2012 6:50:57 PM PDT
Omar says:
You might like mine:
Coming To Astoria $2.99

Coming to Astoria is about change, culture, ethnic differences and transitioning from a land filled with war and hate to one of hope and new opportunities. The story is told through the eyes of a young boy Omar, and his family, who move to New York one year after the Arab Middle Eastern countries are defeated by Israel in the Six Day War.

In the early seventies, when abuse within the household was common and accepted, when police officers looked the other way, when immigrants weren't as welcomed as they are now, and when one-sided fights were common place, Coming to Astoria is one family's quest for the American Dream.

Coming to Astoria is Omar's personal experience with hardships, the fights, the beatings and also the joys of earning a few dollars and getting accepted into the community. Readers will know first hand what it's like to be followed by a sexual predator, to ride the Manhattan subways and to be in Times Square, by coincidence, on New Years eve. Seeing this through Omar's eyes will put you into that time and place, from the safety of your home.

Posted on May 28, 2012 3:48:08 PM PDT
Alicia Adams says:
I Know How the Caged Bird Sings

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 10:34:32 AM PDT
TO: Alicia Adams

RE: "I Know How the Caged Bird Sings"

Excuse me, but it's "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Angelou

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 12:12:43 PM PDT
Ron Bond says:
hi Kelly/please click on my book and read the few short stories sampled.very very honest.titled;Hey...I'm just a kid (a true story).Hope you like it ,thanks soooo much!!ron

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 4:04:36 AM PDT
B. says:
5000 miles and eleven thousand days thirty years in two continents summarized in less than two hundred pages.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 3:33:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 2, 2015 10:43:46 AM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  118
Total posts:  195
Initial post:  May 25, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions