Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Need a good biography!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 207 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 10:19:13 AM PST
I am not familiar with this book. What's it abut?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 3:29:36 PM PST
I am a Foxfire Book veteran. Foxfire has been a chief recorder of Appalachian heritage for 45 years in the North GA Mountains. My book, 'It's Not My Mountain Anymore" shares the many changes to our landscape and its inhabitants. The mountains I once knew are not the same. The book looks at the past, present and future.
Check out the reviews on Amazon. I surely don't want to dissappoint anyone. It is also a tool to give back to those who preserve our dying heritage. www.itsnotmymountainanymore.com Thanks for asking!

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 8:31:11 AM PDT
BLinville says:
The Price of Stones (hardcover title) or A School for My Village (paperback title) by Twesigye Jackson Kaguri is an amazing novel about one man's attempt to help the many, many orphans in the small town where he grew up in southwestern Uganda.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 8:41:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2012 8:44:46 AM PDT
Katherine Hepburn -- ME, is an excellent biography. She is the original self confident, do it my way "Movie Star" of which isn't around anymore. Talent & brains, a rare combo.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 10:48:50 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
One Trip Too Many. The author is not famous, but he is a good writer. It is about one man's experiences as a pilot in Vietnam, watching the turbulent social upheaval of the 60s, and a life-changing accident. Historical, funny, sad, and exhilarating.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 11:42:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 6, 2012 5:39:56 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 1:53:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 2:48:34 PM PDT
I recommend a book by Samuel Samuels, titled, "From Forecastle to Cabin." Originally published in the 1800s, then reprinted in 1924. The Naval Institute is about to bring out a new printing of it. It is an amazing true story about a boy who ran away from home around age 11 and became a sailor on the old, very dangerous sailing ships. He had many harrowing experiences, from storms, to friends washed overboard, to dealings with pirates. He eventually worked his way up to become the long term captain of the "Dreadnaught" a famous, fast Clipper Ship. This book is full of charming old language and nautical terms that vanished with the sailing ships that he lived on. I thought it would be dull and dry but found it to be delightful and packed full of interesting and amazing things on every page. If you want to understand life from the 1800s better, or if you want to understand the whole culture of the vanished sailing ships, then this book is for you. Sections of this book are extensively quoted in other books such as, "The Gigantic Book of Pirate Stories," and, "The Best Pirate Stories Ever Told." Mr. Samuels actually wrote it for an 'average' reader of his day and did a surprisingly good job of it. And, as it says in the introduction, this book really does prove that truth is stranger than fiction.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 12:08:27 AM PDT
I would like to suggest "Like Teaching Calculus to Cats". It is one person's story of growing up in a household with a schizophrenic mother and an alcoholic father. The story is based on fact, and encompasses mental illness, alcoholism, an abortion attempt resulting in a live birth, and child abuse. The author also battled her own demons with alcohol and mental illness. It is an uplifting story, proof of God's grace, and the resilience of the human spirit. In the author's words, "In the end, it's all good." This book is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 5:00:28 PM PDT
If length is no issue, Bertrand Russell's three-volume autobiography is illuminating, if a bit dry. Malachi Haim Hacohen's biography of Karl Popper, "Karl Popper: The Formative Years" is spectacular. But the latter is "academic" (some consider this derogatory; I do not). So if you want something short and fun, Graham Chapman (of Monty Python) and six other co-authors (including Douglas Adams) penned the wonderfully silly "A Liar's Autobiography, Volume VI." Please note that most of the book is not true.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 1:37:46 AM PDT
"It's Not My Mountain Anymore" is written by a Foxfire veteran. Foxfire was a miracle in education at our tiny mountain high school in North Georgia (foxfire.org). Currently nine-million Foxfire Books are in print--not bad for a bunch of ragged mountain kids with hillbilly written all over them. Check out the reviews on Amazon or the website: www.itsnotmymountainanymore.com Sales support culture preservation. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:28:41 PM PDT
Damian Nash says:
The Man Who Quit Money, by Mark Sundeen. It is an amazing tale about my best friend Daniel, who is both an explorer and a modern day prophet. An awesome romp of a read, beautifully done. The Man Who Quit Money

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 5:32:17 AM PDT
Missing the Mark: A Target Child Speaks by Keith Hoerner on Amazon
You Tube Video (Copy and Paste in Address Bar):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skl3oh4FCb0

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:42:24 PM PDT
Missing the Mark: A Target Child Speaks by Keith Hoerner on Amazon
You Tube Video (Copy and Paste in Address Bar):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skl3oh4FCb0

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 3:02:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2012 7:58:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 9:04:15 PM PDT
A quick read: "It's Not My Mountain Anymore" Appalachian reality. Kindle Prime ...borrow for FREE!

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 7:39:28 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 17, 2012 8:14:19 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 6:46:55 AM PDT
Still Hopping, Still Hoping, is the inspiring biography I wrote about Carla Shuford an amputee since she was 15. She will be 69 on Sat. April 21 and the book is published by Righter Publishing, is on Amazon and now Kindle. Carla is a storyteller and poet and some of her work is included in the book. Rita berman

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 10:47:56 AM PDT
Jozy- what are you interested in ? Sports, politics, show business-- I can probably recommend a good bio but you'd rather learn mosre about somethign you already care about.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 10:49:49 AM PDT
Dennis- did you really like "Born Standing UP?" I thought Martin pulled his punches. I can't see the point in reading or writing an autobiography unless you're going to be totally honest, and I thought he fudged a lot of things.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 7:44:12 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 21, 2012 12:59:18 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:08:21 AM PDT
Black-eyed Susan among the Roses. A new book--awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 7:12:25 PM PDT
Gaston says:
Gaston's Secret: the lottery child.

It's a story about the harsher side of human nature and what a person would do if they won the lottery or what Gaston did.

Have a read and I'm here if you have any question.

Gaston.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 6:53:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 30, 2012 7:55:57 PM PDT]

Posted on May 7, 2012 12:37:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 1:00:32 PM PDT
I recently finished reading this amazingly heartbreaking yet inspirational true story called "Finding Gloria" by Marianne Curtis. I highly recommend this survival story by an author who survived child abuse, rape, mental illness, depression, divorce and single parenting. Once I started reading, i couldnt put it down!!!

Posted on May 8, 2012 10:19:56 PM PDT
Reader says:
True Crime: I Witnessed A Killing (A Mother and Child Fight for Their Innocence)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  152
Total posts:  207
Initial post:  Jan 28, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions