Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Bio's about growing up

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-195 of 195 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 19, 2012 6:59:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 7:04:27 PM PDT
Rosieo65 says:
I have written a Biography of my life growing up in Yonkers, NY. It depicts the youngest child growing up I a family of thirteen children and what our city was comprised of and the manner in which we managed to survive The Great Depression. An all Immigrant segregated communities which came together without any strife and respect for each other. "The Young Punk From Yonkers" Has been out for one month and has four of four Five Star ratings. I have gotten a tremendous amount of feedback from readers on Facebook praising the book. Don't be afraid to invest &5.99 for a first book written by an eighty one year old man .

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:34:30 AM PDT
CPLCWEN says:
The best way to find it is by ISBN:9781475022766
It is called 'Cold War Soldier A Memoir' The authors last name is McGuire. You will love this book and it is in paperback as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:34:48 AM PDT
CPLCWEN says:
The best way to find it is by ISBN:9781475022766
It is called 'Cold War Soldier A Memoir' The authors last name is McGuire. You will love this book and it is in paperback as well.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 8:26:00 PM PDT
I just published, The Pain in the Promise; Child Neglected, God Protected, Beauty Reflected by Nikki J. This is my journey of growing up in the child welfare system and the trials and tribulations that came along with it. It's not a story of being a victim, but of being a victor, and being determined not to let my past dictate who I decided to become.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 4:10:56 PM PDT
Jennifer says:
Read this! My brother, Ted Paxton, writes a fun story about growing up in the 1960's - 1970's. Anyone with fun memories of when it was safe to let a 6 year old walk 1/4 mile to the neighborhood pool, or ride a bike without a helmet will enjoy these "down home" stories Superhero Suburban Cop: A Memoir

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 8:12:31 PM PDT
With everything in the news today about child molesters, the Jerry Sandusky trial and the ongoing scandals within the Catholic Church, I've recently gotten a book published that you might find very topical. It will help anyone who's interested to understand how this kind of thing continues to happen. It will also give you insight into the affect this type of abuse has on someone that young. It's called "Unraveling Charlie" and has already gotten a couple of good reviews on Amazon.
If you are interested please go to my website where you can read some sample chapters.
www.unravelingcharlie.com

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 2:58:59 PM PST
janmad says:
Has anyone reviewed "Safe In the Alley"? It is in the process of being screen written by a very large German social group.....part of a large multicultural understanding push.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 3:01:57 PM PST
janmad says:
Read the bio and other background on my book...."Safe In The Alley". Its about growing up in a Colored community in Fort Worth, Texas during the 50's and 60's.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:08:02 AM PST
Greg says:
This review is from: The Arrogance of Evil (Kindle Edition)
The ones with no wisdom and full of pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, sloth, and greed are the ones that possess this evil covetousness and vanity with a craving desire to consume more than they can acquire at the expense of the people, investors, poor, and needy. These are some of our leaders, bankers, CEOs and Wall Street leaders. They are a bunch of little thieves and cowards who are immoral, good for nothing, and self-gratifying, and who illustrate disgusting behaviors and wicked human passions.DOMESTIC FINANCIAL TERRORISTS. They are fixated on themselves and they operate with avarice, sadness, anger, and vanity. They are sloths. This is a very serious problem. A lot of people don't understand the seriousness of their sins towards the poor, the needy, the middle class, and the people that they hurt intentionally because of their selfishness and through their corruption. The devil's mind is locked and cannot escape corruption or greed until he exhausts every mean of distortion via the wicked to claim his victims. The wicked in power follow with misguided decisions and false evidence of his intelligence to falsely prove that his judgment is right every time. The ingredients of this false cocktail distort morality and deliver completely unsafe solutions.
I believe 100% in capitalism, but not in capitalism through corruption and greed

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 7:04:42 PM PDT
Ten guardian angels and a tin tub

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 3:37:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2013 6:45:55 AM PDT
Little is known about the struggles of a mother with a polio-disabled child. My short biopic TOO EARLY FOR FLOWERS: THE STORY OF A POLIO MOTHER is about growing up..for each member of this family. Movie rights have been optioned by actress Ksenia Solo.

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 11:43:13 PM PDT
My coming of age memoir was released June 1. Love Him Madly: An Intimate Memoir of Jim Morrison

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2013 9:56:50 PM PDT
janmad says:
Hi Judy..my name is Ronald Madison and I live in Virginia Beach, VA but I spent the early years of my life on the South Side of Fort Worth, Texas. I am 70 years old and I am a person of color. I use that term because me and my family really, really, looks White. I was a part of the early civil rights crew, a Vietnam Vet, a corporate high rider, and I have many memories to share with anyone who has an hour or two to listen. I have written a book about my early life (age 14) and I am working on book two....it takes place in 1961 to my coming home from overseas. Book three is still cooking.
My book is named "Safe In The Alley: Book One. Brown, white, yellow, read and Black. The colors of my village." Check out my bio's and stuff and a few pics.....I believe you would like it.....

Let me know if you would like to open our discussian....I am a bad speller...lol Ron

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2013 10:07:06 PM PDT
janmad says:
Jennifer....check out my bio "Safe In the Alley: Book One. Yellow, Brown, Red, Black, Brown....the colors of my Village." Its true life about growing up in Fort Worth, Texas in the late 40's to the early 60's.

Check out my bio pages.......Ron Madison

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 3:37:13 PM PDT
Tina Kane says:
Tina Kane "You life is my inspiration". Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2013 4:11:39 PM PDT
And you made my day...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 5:13:25 AM PDT
janmad says:
Thank you....and enjor the "first" of three books....
Ron Madison

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 8:25:47 AM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Maybe the following would be a match for this discussion.

Here's the Story

It's an auto biography by Maureen McCormick who played Marcia on The Brady Bunch.

I'm showing my review below. I gave it 5 stars.

It seems like I already added a message to a discussion in this forum about this book but it's gone or never even got into the forum.

A Lifelong Reality Check, March 17, 2013

This is a book about someone who spent many years trying to reconcile her public persona as a teenage TV star with real life. Not only did the public have an unrealistic perception of what Maureen McCormick's life was like but she herself did also.

Perhaps that's a potential danger of being a celebrity. They may start to become that person on the magazine cover or tabloid newspaper.

Very few people will ever have the freedom, financial resources, and social connections to live the type of lifestyle Maureen fell into after her Brady Bunch years. That descent into heavy drug use and dangerous friendships started when she was still in her late teens.

One of the people she started hanging out with was a major cocaine trafficker. He had trash cans full of coke which he supplied it to the stars and rich kids in Hollywood. People like that are criminals and criminals are unpredictable for many reasons.

Her life spiraled out of control and as Maureen herself says in the prologue this affected her acting career in irreversible ways. She had an appointment with Steven Spielberg to talk about appearing in the movie Raiders Of The Lost Ark which she didn't even bother to show up for. They rescheduled and she hadn't slept for days when she stumbled into this meeting. Spielberg offered her an orange as a hint that she needed to take better care of herself.

She started not showing up on the set for her acting assignments. Plus even when she did show up staying awake for days on end using drugs did not help her acting performances. We will never know how her acting career may have taken a completely different turn if she had at least confined her drug use to a more casual or recreational level. Not that there's any safe level of use for an illegal substance which is manufactured under uncontrolled conditions.

But that's what drugs can do to people. They think they are controlling their drug use but rather the drugs start controlling them. Not to mention just the raw cash she spent on these drugs.

Maureen's mental state remained precarious for many years and she used an anti depressant for a long time. Maybe she still does. She got hooked up with two quack psychiatrists out there in Tinsel Town, one of whom recommended that she start taking LSD which he would supply.

There's a black sheep in Maureen's family which is her brother Kevin. He was no good from a very early age. Maureen implies that Kevin and his drug addict friend conspired with the friend's father to burn down her other brother Michael's night club. Arson is a serious crime. But yet because of her poor judgement Maureen continued to hang out with her evil brother. They went to Hawaii and harvested psychedelic mushrooms together.

The evil brother became part of a weird subplot in the book. He somehow brainwashed their father and together they conspired against Maureen and tried to cheat her out of her share of the family's property and estate. That situation is never totally resolved in the book, perhaps because it is still ongoing. There's something weird going on there with the father that I didn't fully understand.

This is an interesting book and I enjoyed reading it. TV and society were going through massive changes when The Brady Bunch came out. The Brady Bunch got left in a more innocent, bygone era. Maureen got caught up in those societal changes.

Alkalize or Die: Superior Health Through Proper Alkaline-Acid Balance

Asparagus can do it for you!

Scarface (1983) [Blu-ray]

Bewitched: Season One

Columbo: The Complete Series

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 5:55:13 PM PDT
Jeff Marzano says:
Here's one about growing up in an extremely abusive environment.

I gave it 5 stars.

Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You

Dark Family Secrets Revealed, August 26, 2013

This is the story of a family with dark secrets that go back to when the author's father was a Jewish peasant living in Russia as a child. The cycle of abuse and hate started back there and the father continued this cycle with his own daughter.

The author's mother grew up during the Great Depression and she knew what it was like to go to bed hungry on many nights. This seems to have been the defining period of her life and the fear of ever losing financial security prevented her from protecting her daughter.

This family took the term 'dysfunctional' to unimaginable heights.

Randy, Sue Silverman's psychiatrist, feels both parents caused the child abuse.

It's also the story of a stolen and lost childhood. This type of severe child abuse forces a person to grow up too fast.

Child sexual abuse of this magnitude causes very complex and dangerous psychological effects on the victim for many years and into adulthood. Sue became what's called a sexual addict where the person confuses intimacy with sexual gratification.

It caused Sue's mind to sort of split into multiple personalities. She spent many years trying to find a girl she once saw sitting on the beach. Eventually she realized that was her inner child.

In her book Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction Sue goes into the details of those psychological issues.

The book goes back and forth between Sue's sexual misadventures with her father and episodes and experiences in her own life like in school, relationships, and when she became an adult and left home.

Sue's father said something very strange to her when he was in the hospital and near death. First he said him and Sue's mother should never have gotten married because they were 'like glass and water'. Then he said:

"You and I are exactly alike."

Who will ever know what that statement means if anything.

Sybil

Ordeal

Loose Girl: A Memoir of Promiscuity

Alkalize or Die: Superior Health Through Proper Alkaline-Acid Balance

Same Soul, Many Bodies: Discover the Healing Power of Future Lives through Progression Therapy

Irreversible (2002) Monica Bellucci (Actor), Vincent Cassel (Actor)

Possession Starring Isabelle Adjani, Sam Neill, Margit Carstensen, et al. (1981)

The Beast (La bête)

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2013 4:32:54 AM PDT
Hi,
An African adventure mixed with personal struggles memoir spiritual..http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQQBV2O/
it is free on 15th October 2013
I am the author and spent time in childrens' homes...at 47 I still struggle with the past.but travelling the world helped me for a while, then luckily came my wife..the next book
I hope you like it
Gerry
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  118
Total posts:  195
Initial post:  May 25, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions