Customer Discussions > Biography forum

The best bio I have ever read - seriously

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 19, 2010 9:31:05 PM PDT
Trish says:
"Lolli's Apple" by Tomas Fleischmann. I only ever really read bio's and this was recommended by a friend. I read it in one sitting and could not put it down. A true account of a six year old's survival in the holocaust but set among children's games and friendships and seen through a six year old's eyes as his mother tries to save him. It is like Life Is Beautiful but with 10 times as much going on. Not depressing but uplifting, powerful and will stay with me forever. Don't write it off as another Holocaust book as it is entirely different to anything I have ever heard of in the genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2010 8:11:30 AM PDT
Lance M. says:
Interesting and thanks for posting. If/when I read it I'll write a review, hopefully it'll be as positive as yours.

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 10:13:17 AM PDT
Mishka M says:
Balconies: A Mediterranean Memoir
Check out BALCONIES: A MEDITERRANEAN MEMOIR by M Mojabber Mourani
It is a collection of biographical vignettes, some fictionalized. The book deals with the Levatine experience and the themes of identity, war, exile, etc from a personal perspective and traces the effect of 19th century events on a family today.

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 7:22:56 AM PDT
Celeste says:
The best biography (memoir) I have ever read is "THE DITCHDIGGER'S DAUGHTERS". It chronicles the life of a poor family of color with six girls (no sons) raised in the 60's who had a popular all-girl R&B band and went on to beat the odds where two become physicians, one an oral surgeon, one a nurse and one a Ph.D. and attorney in one generation. Powerful story of the American dream.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 5:04:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 28, 2013 3:32:43 PM PST]

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 7:22:02 PM PDT
K. Tribble says:
The Greek Treasure by Irving Stone - I read it over and over again-

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 8:06:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 26, 2010 6:51:38 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 9:12:02 AM PDT
A Dream of Canada by Kaanayo Nwachukwu is the best memoir out there. If anyone is looking for a very inspirational, adventurous and encouraging book, this is it. It is truly an incredible story of struggle and overcoming. With its exotic flavor, this is about the best book of non-fiction to have ever come from an African author.

Posted on Oct 18, 2010 9:48:39 AM PDT
Neglected But Undefeated By Jonathan Anthony Burkett

Posted on Oct 18, 2010 11:09:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2010 11:10:17 AM PDT
M. Vega says:
A. Scott Berg's Lindberg. This book includes well-researched stories and perspectives of a man we thought we knew all about. The stories of his sad childhood provide one explanation for his adult personality, in particular his determination to fly and to be the best flyer. The images of perfectionism are inspiring.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 10:06:08 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 24, 2011 3:18:43 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 12:38:16 PM PST
Shogo Onoe says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 6:53:18 AM PST
Schmerguls says:
I too liked Berg's book which I read on 26 Mar 1999. However I understand it has now come to light that Lindbergh had a German mistress and sired some seven kids with German women. Does this indicate that Berg's research was faulty?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 10:03:50 PM PST
Yihong Tong says:
I enjoyed hearing the author of "the Ditchdigger's daughters" speak to our orchestra. Her words were truly inspiring.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 3:30:30 AM PST
Marnan says:
I loved We Were Always Free by T.O. Madden The author traced 200 years of his family roots thru 1700's Virginia & discovered that his family had never been slaves. Hence the title. Great read.

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 12:45:02 PM PST
turbineman says:
"Joe Boy" by Floyd Kirby. Riot in realism. Wonderful story, could not put it down only to eat food. He is writing another book and I can't wait until it comes out. Here is a poor guy from Ohio, worked in the CIA after college for 6 years, then went on to become a successful Veteranarian in Florida. Wonderful poor boy in America that worked hard and made himself a success. Don't miss reading this rea story!

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 8:25:16 AM PST
Mike M. says:
I AM MOORE

"I AM MOORE" by Michael Moore (not the director). Great coming of age story about a boy from the south side. It explores a world of crime, drugs, neglect and abuse. By the time the author was 8, he was already the victim of sexual abuse and heavily into drugs. By 13, he decided to turn his life around. The story is easy to read, emotional and entertaining.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 3:21:36 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 24, 2011 3:18:46 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 10:37:24 AM PST
Mark Levine says:
Robert Caro's The Power Broker, about master builder Robert Moses is in my opinion not only a great biography, if by that is meant the exploration of a person's character and acts, but the best book I have read about Power (although Caro's books about Lyndon Johnson come close), and, not incidentally, the best, absolutely indispensable book about New York City, and, by extension, urban centers generally. It's a doorstop for sure, but reads like a large, monumental novel.

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 2:16:57 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 10:36:27 AM PST
Unfortunately, Mr. Berg did not know about Lindbergh's second wife and family in Germany. What a shame. The book would certainly have taken a different path.
Ginna in C'ville

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 11:25:28 AM PST
saysaah says:
Maybe it's because I'm a writer but I love to read autobiographies of writers who have become very successful. This is not "the best" but very interesting if you like to read about authors and how they began their journey. Stephen King's autobiographical book is very satisfying. It's wonderful to read that when he was slogging away as a schoolteacher and trying to support himself and family with a salary in the low 20's, his agent called and told him he had the paperback rights to Carrie for six figures and King just couldn't wrap his head around the number and kept asking over and over how many zeros. Also he details his accident when he was struck by a truck on the road and how he recovered.

Consuelo Saah Baehr

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 8:56:54 AM PST
I am interested in memoirs about growing up in Africa. Has any one read: Peter Godwin's, When the Crocodile Eats the Sun, ALexander Fuller's, Let's Not Go to the Dogs Tonight, or Claire Datnow's, Behind the Walled Garden of Apartheid. When a Crocodile Eats the Sun: A Memoir of AfricaDon't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African ChildhoodDistrict 9

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 10:45:31 AM PST
Claire,

If you haven't read it already, you may be interested in "Kinship: A Family's Journey in Africa and America" by Philippe E. Wamba, the son (sadly, now deceased) of the Congolese dissident Prof. Wamba Dia Wamba. Philippe narrated his bicultural heritages (African and African-American) growing up in Congo and Tanzania as the son of a refugee Congolese dissident scholar. I thought it would read very well especially given your interest in the subject.

Sadly the author passed away in a Nairobi motor accident while researching material for Harvards project with African youth movements

Kinship: A Family's Journey in Africa and America

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 2:44:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2010 4:08:28 AM PST
Wordsworks says:
Almost every biography I read I feel it's the best one ever. ........ my latest has been "Kid Richie a Kid from Brooklyn" by R.J Cancemi. MD. I loved it.

I found it to be a delightfully comfortable read of this modest man's struggles to rise from the poverty of the early Brooklyn with its Mafia and gang connections, to the prominent, highly respected place he made for himself in the medical world. Quite an amazing journey, it's an inspiring story written in a chatty style....... and there are lots of laughs.
I especially enjoyed some of the aspects of the world he presented from a child's perspective early on in the book. WW2 for example. Also some of the medical case histories he touched on later.

One big lesson I have from reading this book is ..... I have learned is that there are fascinating life stories out there, even though they are not of the very well known personalities of the world.
Naturally..... this is my latest "best biography ever" and I mean it this time!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Jul 19, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions