Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Bio's about growing up

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 195 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2011 6:42:37 PM PDT
I am looking for honest Bio's written by young folks about the world they are raised in. This one is awesome!Not All Prisons Have Bars

Posted on May 26, 2011 3:06:32 AM PDT
You might like to try my book,The Dark Threads, recently available on amazon in America. You can read reviews on amazon.co.uk. I'm not young now but it was based closely on the journals and other pieces of writing I did as a teenager growing up in a confusing world. The Dark Threads

Posted on May 26, 2011 11:38:16 AM PDT
You might be interested in my book "Images From Childhood" vignettes about my growing up in San Francisco in the 1940-1950's. Amazon has one used copy. I have access through Lulu.com for new copies at $16.00 (incl postage) at mgospe@sonic.net

Posted on May 27, 2011 5:03:52 AM PDT
1923: A Memoir $1.09

Review
It's a personal as well as a social history. Smith has the knack of bringing the times to life in a way that few writers can manage. It's the ability to tell a story, the knowledge of when to move on & not labour a point.
--The Bookbag

1923 is a book that succeeds in two ways with ease, both as a personal memoir of a life lived in a volatile age and as a record of that age for all time. --The Current Reader

"1923" is uplifting and highly recommended. --Midwest Book Review

1923: A Memoir is a protest against social injustice, corruption, war, famine, poverty, and societies blinded by greed. More importantly, it is the story of hope and the notion that anything can be overcome if desired. --The Publishing Guru
Product Description
To say that Harry Smith was born under an unlucky star would be an understatement. Born in England in 1923, Smith chronicles the tragic story of his early life in this first volume of his memoirs. He presents his family's early history-their misfortunes and their experiences of enduring betrayal, inhumane poverty, infidelity, and abandonment.

1923: A Memoir presents the story of a life lyrically described, capturing a time both before and during World War II when personal survival was dependent upon luck and guile. During this time, failure insured either a trip to the workhouse or burial in a common grave. Brutally honest, Smith's story plummets to the depths of tragedy and flies up to the summit of mirth and wonder, portraying real people in an uncompromising, unflinching voice.

1923: A Memoir tells of a time and place when life, full of raw emotion, was never so real.
See all Editorial Reviews

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011 4:05:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2012 8:50:38 AM PST]

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 1:04:53 PM PDT
Mike M. says:
Read mine, " I Am Moore" by Michael Moore (not the director).
This is about a boy whose father is a convicted felon and whose mother is drug addict turned heroin dealer. The boy is abused emotional and sexually and gets lost in his own bout with drug addiction at a very early age. The topics are dark but the author approaches them with humor and makes them relatable and inspirational. It really proves that you don't have to be famous to be interesting

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 6:13:22 PM PDT
rat_taxi says:
"The Education of Little Tree" by Forrest Carter is wonderful as are his other works.

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 8:27:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 2, 2011 8:27:32 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 7:23:22 AM PDT
K.C.Lauer says:
Mine is also extremely honest. I tell people it is raw, rude and revealing. People have told me it is difficult to read because the content is so raw. Most people have told me they cried when they read it, but that they also found it inspirational and powerful. I do hope you enjoy reading it and that if you know of any young girls who are hurting because of their promiscuity or struggle with their sexuality, that you pass it on. The message is that suicide is not the answer - facing fears head on, is.

Bad Girl Gone Mom

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 5:21:12 PM PDT
Joe says:
Read Unsupervised Cows by Tim Lowe, he tells the truth about his life and projects a great image for teenagers. His story has something for everyone. The story will make you laugh, cry, and truely feel for his plight in life...

Posted on Jun 17, 2011 4:51:59 PM PDT
You might be interested in my memoir "MY HERO, MY DING...a Memoir of a Girl and Her Grandfather". It takes place over many years, but the bulk of the book focuses on growing up with a wonderful role model...my grandfather. Two ordinary people with an extraordinary bond! It's here on Amazon or you can check out my website lisatortorello.tateauthor.com

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 7:38:14 AM PDT
T. Campbell says:
Several reviewers have called The Slacker Confessions a great "coming of age" book. Check it out. The Slacker Confessions - True Comedic Stories From My Decade of Dumb Jobs

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2011 2:51:04 PM PDT
PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE!
June 6, 2011
"Forrest Gump - move over! Adolph Kuhn is the Real McCoy!"
December 7, 2011 will be the SEVENTIETH ANNIVERSARY of one of history's most infamous events...THE JAPANESE ATTACK ON PEARL HARBOR, what FDR called "a date which will live in infamy."
Adolph Kuhn: An American Journey (available in both non-fiction and screenplay format) is a memoir based upon Adolph Kuhn's personal interviews, his poignant poetry, indelible short stories, and daily diary entries dating back to 1939. This great American journey opens with Adolph Kuhn describing his early life on a hardscrabble Kansas farm. Then the Great Depression and the hardships he faces. When World War II erupts, it gives him his big chance to finally leave the farm for a better life. The day of the attack changes Adolph Kuhn from a young man to a twenty-year-OLD man, being almost killed several times. Today, he is now known as the "Hero of Pearl Harbor" for his exploits that day. After meeting his wife to be at a San Francisco party and marrying her five months later, Adolph Kuhn is discharged in 1946 and proceeds to ply his ingrained, good old American grit in making a living for his wife and recently born son. The American way. It was this "through pluck and luck" philosophy of life that leads him to one of his most memorable moments: working on the classic film "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," at the personal request of Stanley Kramer.
Adolph Kuhn: An American Journey is a unique story of what the American Dream is all about: family, struggle, perseverance. Given today's economic and social malaise, this story brings hope. Today, Adolph Kuhn is a sought after speaker, writer, diarist, philosopher, folk artist and role model. Read his book and find out why...
To order copies of Adolph Kuhn: An American Journey (ISBN #1456316826) visit your favorite local or internet bookseller, or simply go to Amazon.com.
Interviews of the author are available upon request...

Contact: Jim Hoffmann @ 760-885-9508 (jvhoffmannjr@yahoo.com) for more information...

END

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2011 8:18:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2012 8:50:25 AM PST]

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 11:43:14 AM PDT
My memoir Strange as Angels is about growing up in the 80s, the emotional turmoil that I underwent, and the music that helped.

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 5:48:51 PM PDT
D. Monroe says:
My memoir is about growing up, with ADHD and other problems and illnesses. I and the people that have reviewed it seem to think its worth reading. And it's available in both paperback and kindle.

How I Built My House With No Doors

Posted on Jun 20, 2011 2:05:20 AM PDT
Jesse says:
If you want to laugh, try this one:

The Snitch, Houdini and Me: Humorous Tales of Death-defying Childhood Misadventure

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 11:03:31 AM PDT
D. Horne says:
My memoir starts with my memories about my family and spans the lifetime of my relationship with my parents. Much of it focuses on my youth and observations of the world around me. Try THE LIGHT IN THE LEAVES.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2011 3:49:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2011 3:58:34 PM PDT
Anne Salazar says:
It appears almost ALL these books are self-published. So-called regular memoirs are endless; the three I just read are Passageways br Ann Thwaite, Christina Thompson's book on New Zealand, The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway. But I have recently read dozens ....

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 4:08:55 PM PDT
You might want to try "Extraordinary, Ordinary People: A Memoir of Family." (2010) It's written by former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, and it's about her upbringing and childhood.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 11:32:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2011 12:12:18 PM PDT
ian says:
Not sure if of interest, but a true bio written as the survivor narrated it.

Be The Best You Can Be ( polio my constant companion )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2011 5:21:50 PM PDT
Here's a story for you "To Whom It May Concern: a memoir of a foster child" Not your typical story of a child raised in an abusive foster care system.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 10:07:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2011 1:34:39 PM PDT
"Zehn Schutzengel und ein Zink Kübel" ist die Lebensgeschichte des Autors, der den Zweiten Weltkrieg in Nazideutschland als jugendlicher überlebte. Von dem Nervenkitzel der wiederholten entkommenen Gefahren als Kind und jugendlicher bis hin zum 15 Jahre alten Soldaten der deutschen Wehrmacht. Die Übernahme durch die SS und die gefährliche Desertion von seinen Häschern. Schließlich die abenteuerlichen Reisen des 16 Jahre alten Jungen, der versucht seine Familie vor dem Hungertod zu retten.
Dieses Werk ist die, von dem Autor übersetzte deutsche Fassung, des in englisch erschienenen Buches ‚Ten Guardian Angels and a Tin Tub' und sollte nicht ausnahmslos eine Autobiographie darstellen, sondern auch die historischen Ereignisse der damaligen Zeit. Der Autor möchte vor allem die jüngeren Generationen darüber aufklären was wirklich vor und während des zweiten Weltkrieg in Deutschland vor sich ging. Daß die Menschen nur bestrebt waren ihren Lebensstandard zu verbessern und in diesem Verlauf von barbarischen Politikern irregeleitet wurden. Es war die ruchlose Ausnutzung eines Volkes, das sich aus dem Joch des Versailles Vertrags befreien wollte. Keine Gesellschaft ist immune, wenn arglistige Politiker die Notlagen eines Volkes ausnutzen

Ten guardian angel and a bucket" is the life story of the author, who survived the Second World War in Nazi Germany as a teenager. From the thrill of the repeated threats escaped as a child and youth up to 15 years old soldier of the German Wehrmacht. The acquisition by the SS and the dangerous desertion of his captors. Finally, the adventurous trips of the 16-year-old boy who tries to save his family from starvation.
This work is that of the author translated German version of the book published in English, Ten Guardian Angels and a Tin Tub 'and should not invariably represent an autobiography, but also the historical events of that time. The author would like to educate especially the younger generations about what was really before and during the Second World War in Germany itself. That the German People only were seeking their living standards to improve and have been misled in the course of this barbaric politicians. It was the ruthless exploitation of a people who wanted to free themselves from the yoke of the Versailles Treaty. No society is immune, if fraudulent politicians exploit the plight of a people

Ten Guardian Angels and a Tin TubZehn Schutzengel und ein Zink Kübel (German Edition)

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 6:49:35 AM PDT
For those interested in biography, visit the Facebook page of Biographers International International Organization (BIO). We post all kinds of fascinating things related to the art and craft of biography. You might want to join BIO, too! Meet your favorite authors, attend our annual conference. See you there!

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 6:55:30 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 6:58:47 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

ARRAY(0xa11cec78)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  118
Total posts:  195
Initial post:  May 25, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions