Customer Discussions > Biography forum

Self biography therapy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2012 1:19:58 PM PDT
GERALD says:
Diane Keaton's mother when she was 59, in 1980 said, "Every living person should be forced to write an autobiography. They should have to go back and unravel and disclose all the stuff that was packed into their lives."

Back in my freshman year of college in 1964, a wise English professor encouraged students to write daily life accounts and keep records for future reference and reflection. She claimed an interesting and worthwhile story of anyone's life would be well worth the effort in 50 years. I understand exactly what she was driving at. In the case of my mother-in-law, she did just that and I had a wonderful time putting her story in print. It certainly is well worth a read. Junebub by Gerald Shingleton is now avialbel from Amazon.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 6:23:29 AM PDT
Rich Bishop says:
Nuts to Butts: Anecdotes from A Career in the US Navy I have recently published a biography of sorts titled NUTS TO BUTTS. I started out excising some demons collected over a navy career spanning more than 22 years. After months of working on it I placed it on the shelf to ferment for a while. When I returned weeks, maybe months, later and started to read it I found a depressing and hardly readable venting of my frustrations over things I no longer had any control of. I was reliving incidents that I never really had any control over. However I did feel better for the release of some painful memories. I grabbed my pen (the stronger than the sword one) and started cutting.

I removed the names of those that I had not been kind to and changed some to protect the innocent. I decided to stay as close to positive as I could about the experiences I related. After an additional fermenting period I found a much more satisfying piece. I am happy with the result and I think you will be too.

The following is from the book cover:

"For Rich Bishop, reporting to basic training for the US Navy was reminiscent of Dorothy leaving Kansas and ending up in Oz. The transition from civilian to navy life overwhelmed Bishop. In Nuts to Butts, he narrates excerpts of his twenty-two-year career-from basic training to retirement. In this memoir, Bishop tells of meeting a wide assortment of people and the problems they brought with them. He shares the good and not-so-good times of serving in the fleet, including dealing with the loss of privacy, becoming a team member, and keeping US warships in mission-ready condition and the crews in shape to play the mental games required in an examination- and deployment-laden schedule. Nuts to Butts describes living through basic training, working in the scullery of an aircraft carrier, serving duty as shore patrol, visiting exotic ports of call for liberty, climbing a plateau with shear vertical sides in Sri Lanka, living on the naval base at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, and making night dives among the sharks. Bishop provides keen insight into the life of a sailor, delivered with humor. He not only fondly remembers his service, but preserves the stories for all."

Nuts to Butts: Anecdotes from A Career in the US Navy

Please try it and let me know what you thought of it by leaving an honest review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Biography forum (159 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Biography forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Aug 5, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions