Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

After blu-ray, what comes next?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 255 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:42:23 AM PST
stevign says:
Thanks warrian, I have no use for a DVD/VCR combo anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:44:02 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "Some people already make DVD copies of cable movies"

You mean for sale? No thanx, I'd rather tape them myself when they come on tv.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:53:26 AM PST
stevign says:
Btw, what is "BD"?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:20:16 AM PST
BD is the official, correct abbreviation of Blu-ray Disc. BD is to Blu-ray Disc, as DVD is to Digital Video/Versatile Disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:34:05 AM PST
EdM says:
BD is the standard acronym for Blu-ray Disc. Many streamed movies [hypothetically HD] are worse in quality than a proper DVD [played on a good upscaling player] from a practical standpoint, due to ISP bandwidth constraints.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Blu-Ray+Disc

"ROM, R and RE Formats
"A Blu-ray disc (BD) comes in ROM (read-only memory), R (recordable) and RE (rewritable) formats. Used for commercial movies, BD-ROMs ..."

The people I know who make DVDs from cable, do so for personal use at home including to time-shift, due to relatively small hard drive size found in many DVRs, NOT for pirating/sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:47:20 AM PST
stevign says:
Thanks C. Barbus and EdM.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:56:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 11:57:44 AM PST
stevign says:
Yeh, I used to have a DVD recorder but it failed and I haven't had one for about 3 years now. I like to have the movies I record saved on a DVD disc so I don't have to worry about running out of room on my cable box/recorder or losing them when the cable box/recorder goes bad and I have to call for a new one from my cable provider. Which happens faaaaar too often.

I play all the movies I've stockpiled on my Arcam 135 DVD/CD player. It has great pluses but on the negative side it isn't Blu-Ray. Do I care.......not really.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/image.php?image=909578&is_user=0

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:18:42 PM PST
EdM says:
"but on the negative side it isn't Blu-Ray. Do I care.......not really."

If so, I don't know why you're here in the Blu-ray forum. Decent BD players are available from maybe as little as ~ $100-200, and they all play DVDs, usually with some degree of upscaling. I personally am using a OPPO BDP-83SE - Blu-ray disc player - upscaling - black from a few years back, and am about to upgrade to OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player.

The Oppo BD players have gotten raves for audio especially and for video to boot. Even if you want to stay with Arcam, they make a very respectable bd player:

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,fmj,bd-players,BDP300.htm

To be doing DVD instead of BD, is kind of like Dorothy giving up all that color in Oz, for Black and white. You don't know what you are missing until you've tried the good stuff. Said not negatively, but in hopes of spreading the high quality [especially lossless] audio reality that is possible for the many, these days with BD. Not that one needs to go all the way to an OPPO BDP 105, as even the 103 is quite good. OPPO BDP-103 Universal 3D Blu-ray Disc Player SACD & DVD-Audio
Or last year's model, the OPPO BDP-93 Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Disc Player.

Read reviews for the specific products both here on Amazon, and at the OPPO website. [Click on a player, and at that page, click on the awards/reviews tab.] e.g.:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103-Review.aspx

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:26:08 PM PST
A M says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:27:52 PM PST
A M says:
"Some movies, like comedies, horror, and some action films are way better with a rowdy crowd than by yourself in your home alone."

Wow, so if I watched Gigli, Ed or Son of the Mask at a theater they would've been way better? I'll keep that in mind the next time I see previews for a really bad comedy.

A bfore13

I said SOME movies. Not all.

But I saw Ghostbusters II in a theatre filled with little children and it made a mediocre film much more enjoyable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:03:32 PM PST
FredColo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 3:39:39 PM PST
stevign says:

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:10:22 PM PST
A M says:
"Go back to your ignorant reading of the major news outlets. There is no truth there."

Yeah, because Fox News and Rush Limbaugh are such bastions of truth and facts. Do the Muslims you work with know what you think of them?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:00:39 PM PST
I think Fred treats everyone like spit, so they treat him like spit, hence he has an attitude on all groups. His personal experience is skewed because of.... well, him!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:22:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 6:00:11 PM PST
FredColo says:

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 5:33:50 PM PST

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 5:34:46 PM PST
by the way I'm ignorant on this streaming idea, but can you stream special features? Not that it would make a difference for me, I'm all for being able to put things on a shelf

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:37:45 PM PST
Why was this comment downvoted? lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:48:11 PM PST
stevign says:
Don't get me started on the ludicrous Amazon "voting" option. Suffice to say its purpose is totally misunderstood, misused and abused. I suggest you completely ignore it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:41:44 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012 12:26:14 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:33:41 AM PST
FredColo says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:42:40 AM PST
stevign says:
Are you saying America's "dominance" has always been tied to "technology"?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:52:57 AM PST
A M says:
"NTSC was nowhere near as good as European PAL"

I don't know what you are talking about. When a 24fps feature film is shown in 29.97fps NTSC, the program is slowed down by .01% which is hardly perceptible. But when that some movie is shown in PAL, they speed it up by about 4% which is quite noticeable and has a distinct affect on the running time. PAL, has more lines of resolution, but the difference is negligible.

"No matter what a muslim does, when they take over they eventually bring the whole package with them."

As someone who grew up in a family of Muslims (and met and known WAY more than you). I can say quite simply - you are wrong. Even the ones I have met who are very religious and conservative, still pick and choose aspects of the religion as all people do with all religions. And none of them want to blow up America as you said earlier.

"Their religion is a cult"

I got news for you... all religions are cults. Even Christianity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:03:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 12:25:55 PM PST
Nat Whilk says:
I'm not sure what I'm saying, stevign (!) - I've been typing first and thinking second. I've grown up thinking of the US as always being the place where the future arrived first. The most creative country, the most inventive, the place where people were most in love with progress, the natural home of EPCOT, Star Trek - dominant in the sense of being the leading runner in humanity's marathon, the point of humanity's spear, the country that the rest of us look towards to lead us onwards and upwards. It would seem to me to be infinitely sad if any other country took over this (perhaps wrongly attributed) role, because I feel far more affection for the US than any country likely to, so to speak, take its mantle.

Yes, AM, I agree that PAL was rubbish at dealing with 24fps - though NTSC's 3:2 pulldown process sometimes produced juddering on slow camera pans that was a bit irksome too. I was thinking more of how the systems worked with video material than telecine.

The post of mine that you both responded too was so ill-conceived, I think, that I've decided to delete it. Please forgive its absurdity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:13:27 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012 12:18:17 PM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  255
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions