Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

After blu-ray, what comes next?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 255 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:21:16 PM PST
stevign says:
I must admit I too share your fear, as do many other aging Americans. I'm afraid my Baby Boomer generation has raised a bunch of entitlement brats who think government owes them a living and that starting off at the bottom is somehow beneath them. Fortunately I'll be dead in about 25 years and won't live to see the effects of a society who thinks it should be catered to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:33:59 PM PST
Nat Whilk says:
Oh, I hope you'll still be here for much longer than that - we need your sense of humour!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:39:49 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "we need your sense of humour."

Well thank you for that. I'll have my humor until they pry it from my cold, dead brain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 7:11:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 7:13:46 AM PST
FredColo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:27:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 2:28:43 PM PST
AH-1Z says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:35:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 2:52:36 PM PST
AH-Z,

I am confused... When dvd came out, could someone with a dvd movie go over to a friends house and play it on the VHS player?

Who are these people with these expectations of Blu-ray? Have you ever gone to the Blu-ray group website? Even they think Blu-ray has a life expectancy of only about 10 years or so.

Who ever you are talking about aren't really industry people so should be ignored anyways.

PS- Both Blu-ray and HD DVD tried the flipside dvd thing. Major flop all the way around.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:14:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 3:21:56 PM PST
AH-1Z says:
C. Barbus

Let me try and alleviate your confusion.

When DVD came out, naturally you couldn't go out and play your DVD on a VHS player. The difference I am getting at is that DVD exploded on the scene and it didn't take too long for it to be likely that your friends had players. DVD was so dramatic an improvement, even if you bought no other equipment than the player, it was deemed worth the cost. People were willing to go out and rebuy a lot of the movies they already owned. New releases and sales of films on VHS began a rapid decline. The last major American movie released on VHS was David Cronenberg's 2005 film A History of Violence, eight years after DVD's introduction.

This didn't happen with Blu Ray; while its penetration of the market continues to grow, it's not happening at the speed that industry thought it would. People with decent libraries are not going out and rebuying Blu Ray versions of all their films like they did with VHS to DVD. I'm simply saying that they should try and avoid that situation when introducing "the next thing".

I don't understand your second and third paragraphs. Blu Ray hits the 10 year mark in 2016. Do you really think Blu Ray, heck DVD, will be replaced by then?

The thought of ignoring people who, "...aren't really industry people", sounds like a snooty recipe for disaster. It's those people who, "...aren't really industry people", that are going to determine the success of a new medium by buying or not buying the product. I'm simply offering an idea to help the next thing achieve success: Provide a medium that can also seamlessly be used with existing equipment to ease the transition. Otherwise, there may be no transition...

I think one of the reasons the flipside thing didn't work is that people kept putting in the wrong side and got frustrated. If flipside is an option, I'd hope they would put a prominent label on the disk that says "This side up for Blu Ray".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:29:06 PM PST
DVD did not "Explode onto the scene" the first year it was introduced. Dvd was around for 4 or 5 years before it got close to overtaking VHS.

"This didn't happen with Blu Ray, while its penetration of the market continues to grow, it's not happening at the speed that industry thought it would. "

Says who? Please cite sources!

I don't understand any of your paragraphs, you keep referring to people like you know what you are talking about. I followed the new tech during both the early dvd and early bd years and know nothing about what you are spewing as truth. Please post references.

Also, I did not say the 10 year lifespan was my idea, it comes directly from the Blu-ray group itself. Please read the lifespan section of this FAQ on the BLU-RAY GROUP WEBSITE. Sorry that I am actually referring to industry communications rather spouting random garbage as a rebuttal.

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/AboutBlu-ray/WhatisBlu-rayDisc/BDKeyCharacteristics.aspx

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:00:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 4:13:43 PM PST
AH-1Z says:
You know, whenever someone says or implies that Blu Ray may not be the most incredible success ever, it seems to touch a raw nerve, and things get personal. Makes on sorry to (electronically) "speak".

One source: Home Media Magazine, which does market analysis and tracks sales figures weekly, shows that throughout the year DVDs are still continuing to outsell Blu Rays by a substantial amount. We are six years into Blu Rays at this point.

I concede your point that you yourself didn't say Blu Ray has a life of ten years; I'm sorry.

Again, I am not talking technology, Blu Ray is superior, I am talking market. Here's a quote from 2003: "DVD has been the fastest-growing commercial electronic in history," said Randy Hargrove, a spokesman for Blockbuster, who has seen a growing appetite for DVDs among his customers.

Another: "The American public has fallen in love with DVDs," said Sean Devlin Bersell, a video association spokesman. "The acceptance of DVD has exceeded every expectation."

Can these be said about Blu Ray today?

Again, I'm not slamming Blu Ray, I'm suggesting something that might help "the next thing".

I suspect if we keep this up we're going to bore people...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:43:13 PM PST
Again, you have not cited any sources that expected Blu-ray to grow as fast as dvd did. Plus, Blu-ray had a two-year pause at the start with a format war you have not mentioned in your growth "analysis".

Also, what backasswards logic are you putting forth in your first statement. Blu-ray is here, alive, growing. That is a success. Ask a million more entrepreneurs if they would accept 6 consecutive years of growth in this economy. Ask HD DVD enthusiasts what a success is. Seriously.

You have still not cited any sources that expected Blu-ray to have the same or better growth curve as dvd. No one at all expected that, so why are you using that as your benchmark?

Also, by the way, all of your suggestions to "try something different" were tried by HD DVD and failed. If studios really expected dvd to be replaced by bd, why do they still produce dvds?

Please cite one reputable source that expected Blu-ray to replace dvd the way dvd replaced VHS. That is all I am asking.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:02:19 PM PST
AH-1Z says:
[sigh]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:21:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:22:33 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:29:42 PM PST

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:34:26 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:38:00 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:11:55 PM PST
"you have no need to care so much about one mans opinion, "

Yet you respond three times to me. Hmmm. All I am doing is asking people to explain their OPINION that they have stated as fact.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:14:28 PM PST
Dude, I am using the same logic that was place forth to begin with. The only difference is that I am using actual sources, rather than inventing stuff and then attributed it to an imaginary source that never stated the fact or opinion he was imaginary quoting.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:30:54 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:24:26 PM PST
Asinine began in 1997!

Maybe I replied for my own amusement upon finding some ludicrous statements on the internet in between yardwork and making dinner. :P

Sorry I thought that someone saying "Blu-ray is a failure, the next media should do the same thing HD DVD did to be successful" is kind of funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:33:04 PM PST
All I know is I'm glad I never jumped on blu-ray until that war was over, I've always been more partial to blue and thought Sony might have an edge with the Ps3 built in but I never bought a one until 2008 when Dark Knight came out

What film would inspire anyone here to make an upgrade to 4k? That's an honest question, not rhetorical, I'm actually asking. Is there a film upcoming or past that would inspire someone to jump to the next format whatever it actually ends up being?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:37:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 9:40:21 PM PST
FredColo says:
I have read the last 19 posts and I am ignorant about most of this. It seems like people have been waiting not trusting Blu-Ray to not be overtaken by something better. I went to the Blu-ray website and they said it
was :

" Due to the fact that the data layer on a Blu-ray Disc is placed much "closer" to the laser lens than in DVD (or even the HD-DVD proposal), there is less distortion resulting in significantly improved tolerances. Hence, more precision and ultra high storage densities are made possible.

As a result of Blu-ray Disc being manufactured as a single substrate disc comparable to CD, but unlike DVD (and the HD-DVD proposal), the manufacturing process does not involve the bonding of two substrates, resulting in less production material, a shorter production time and hence lower production costs per disc."
So why doesn't Blu-ray lower its costs, then most of the new Discs would be Blu-ray. Blu-ray should takeoff and DVD would eventually go away? This is assuming that the higher cost of Blu-Ray is caused by the higher price of the basic BlueRay disc. Maybe the food chain selling Blu-ray like the higher costs and maybe the higher profits?
I personally am for higher quality, and I believe that's what blue-ray gives us.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:51:54 PM PST
Most of the cost is not the disc, the cost is in the movie itself. Do you really believe the $4 BD is physically different than the $50 3D BD? They are just the same except the 3D might be 2 layers and the $4 is probably one layer. There is not a $45 difference in manufacturing costs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:01:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 10:04:04 PM PST
bfore13 says:
I think there are a few dynamics that are significantly different with DVD to Blu-ray vs. VHS to DVD. The backwards compatibility of BD players will keep DVDs around much longer than VHS tapes were. You also have car DVD players, portable players and homes with multiple TVs though maybe with only 1 BD and the rest DVD players. I'm not sure what the expectations were for people re-buying DVDs on BDs but with compatability and upscaling it wasn't very practical for people to upgrade their DVD collections. When going from VHS to DVD people had no choice especially once their VHS players stopped working. I think we'll see BD/DVD combo packs for quite some time.

This leads to the next difference => VHS players had another major use, to record TV programming. I had a DVD and VHS hooked up to the same TV but you wouldn't do that with BD & DVD. Of course as Tivo and DVRs became more popular, especially being able to record shows in HD, the VHS lost its usefulness as a recording device. One thing often overlooked in VHS to DVD was the audio improvement from 4.0 to 5.1. Having had surround speakers since '96 and getting a sub when I upgraded to DVD in '99, the audio really improved the home viewing experience. While BD offers lossless audio and 7.1 on some discs, most people are hearing the same 5.1 audio on DVD and BD.

One other dynamic that has impacted BD is the general state of the economy. People have been more fearful of losing their jobs ove the past 5 yrs than they were 15 yrs ago and they just haven't had the excess funds to adopt a new technology. They're been much more concerned with the necessities. Renting discs through Netflix or Redbox is more convenient and cheaper than it was to rent VHS so people may chhose that option over buying. Lastly, If 4k players are backwards compatible with DVD & BD (as you say it needs to be) then I don't see how it's going to be anything but a niche product, especially since the eye will struggle to perceive any noticable difference from 1080p once you reach certain viewing distances.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:10:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 10:15:54 PM PST
FredColo says:
barbus- I googled this:
do all 3d blu-ray movies play in a 2d player? - Blu-ray Forum

forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=160099

Dec 14, 2010 - My HP laptop can play 2D Blu-ray discs but will not recognize a 3D ... in a 2D player, Sony had to disallow it since a different company has the 2D rights. ... for 3D BD by "giving" you the 2D BD on a separate disc, then the DVD ...
I went to this site and they had all kinds of stuff on it. I don't have time but people on the site are talking about it.

I bought a Sony BD when I bought my Hd Tv, I thought it was prudent and haven't used it much. Someone here recommended one on this site. I have saved the information.
I am buying a few BD's, of some old favorite movies, but I am not very far into BD.
The 2D-3D problem just maybe player specifics or software.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:25:18 AM PST
It's the software. The discs are physically the same. The disc tells the player it is 3D, and if there is not proper 3D devices handshaking via HDMI (3d tv and 3D player), the disc will not play. There is no point to it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  255
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions