Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Blu-Ray / DVD Combo Packs... Will They Last...?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2012 8:45:05 PM PDT
David Harris says:
By that I mean, I assume they're weaning consumers from dvd to BD by selling the combos, even going so far as to have say, "The Avengers" 2-disc in both BD or in dvd "packaging". Basically the exact same thing in either a blue or red sleeve!

I don't have a BD player yet but I've bought two combos anyway. Am I correct to assume that the advantage to the 2/3/4-disc combos is that many BD owners can also use the dvd in their old player relegated to another room, or a disc drive, or for their mom' house? ;)

I'm not concerned with digital copies now so I should probably just stick with the BD/dvd combos from now on out, right?

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 8:36:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 8:38:43 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I have almost 1,000 Blu-rays. I purchased a Blu-ray player and started buying Blu-rays as soon as they were available. I sometimes buy the multi-disc set so I can share the DVD with friends who still have not purchased a Blu-ray player. The prices of Blu-ray players have come down a lot and it is somewhat silly for someone not to own one by now. If you're a movie fan, take the plunge and pick up a Blu-ray player already!

Honesly all I want is one disc, the Blu-ray. I just want the movie, no DVD, no Digital anything, just the movie and maybe a special features bonus disc.

I only have Blu-ray players in almost every room in my house, no DVD player to be found. They are outdated and useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 9:42:38 AM PDT
i'm with you. sell the discs separately and lower the price on each.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 10:35:20 PM PDT
David Harris says:
Well I may be "somewhat silly" but I'm also poor! I'll get a BD player on my next big "splurge" but I can't say when that will be. I was able to buy an HDTV 3 years ago but I still keep my 17 y.o. analog TV in the bedroom in case I want to watch a dvd in there. And the living room HDTV only picks up CBS on rabbit ears, which is why I have a good collection of dvds! Right now if I want to add "Braveheart" (for example) to my collection I have to go for the .01 used dvd over the $7.00 used BD.

But pity me not, I'll get one soon, I promise! :p But you two have been helpful in answering that you'd rather just buy the blu-ray disc alone at a lower price. So I was wondering where the market was going to go, if it's just a crossover thing. Obviously as long as my old dvds play in a BD player I'm not facing the same thing with the Beta/VHS/dvd issue. I've even bought a couple of HD-DVD/Standard DVD combo sets at a steal, because the dvd side still works for me. :)

Just watched "The Avengers" (dvd) last night but that was my second combo. I'm planning for all upcoming new releases super/sci-fi-wise to be combos. Looks like Spider-Man is on my list for Nov. and TDKR for Dec.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 8:22:46 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Black Friday is coming up soon, you could pick one up for pretty cheap. And I even check out the $7.99 bin at Best Buy for some good deals.

Blu-ray prices have been dropping quick, so keep an eye out for good deals.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:58:49 AM PDT
David Harris says:
Thanks for the reminder, I'm out of the retail biz so I practically ignore the holidays but I should start saving a few bucks, sell off some old super-hero stuff on eBay and look out for a good boxed set. I have all LOTR, Superman, Batman, POTC, POTA, Aliens etc, so I don't really want to duplicate anything. Hmmm.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 11:08:52 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 1:42:50 PM PDT
Meanie the total a-hole strikes again. You can only spend that dollar once, you mental midget. People don't get to keep spending the same money over and over.

Get a clue, a life, and some dignity.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 1:58:30 PM PDT
EdM says:
"Get a clue, a life, and some dignity."

What the "Ignore this customer" button/command is for, to ignore the dreck.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 3:00:46 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Green Meanie certainly lives down to his name, doesn't he?

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 4:20:53 PM PDT
David Harris says:
Geez, I can't believe people are still using that old "afford the internet" zinger! Not worth the reply but I'll play for a moment because I'm sure there are some people who think that ways for real. Most people on these boards are better than that though!

I'm disabled, pretty much home-bound, a 5 year-old Acer computer (my first), no cable or dish or mobile devices, I love movies and bought the "Star Wars" 8mm film before home VCRs came out. I pay $35 a month for internet service, live in a small town where I know no one except for 3 family members and it's my connection to the outside world, news, and since my antenna only picks up CBS I can watch "Grimm" etc. on NBC.com for free! But no gripes here.

So this thread was just me curious about what the studios plan on releasing in the future. And as said above if they'd just release a blu-ray only edition some people may be in the market for that!

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 6:53:52 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 7:03:34 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 1:39:12 PM PDT
Jersey Girl says:
I buy combo packs because I love slipcovers.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 2:36:09 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
I buy combo packs because I like to see a film I admire on both BD and DVD. Whenever they are available I hone in on them and add them to my collection.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:50:04 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
James Harris

I don't know if you're still following this thread, but, since you already have an HDTV, a Blu-ray player will upconvert your DVDs and make them look better than they do just played on a DVD machine, not High Def, but noticeably better. You have to connect the BD player to the TV with the HDMI cable to get the High Def picture, and this is also how you get the upconverting of DVDs as well.

I just thought I would mention this in case you weren't aware of it.

BTW, I, too, have to take it easy with my dollars since I'm retired with a pretty strict budget.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 8:08:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 8:13:33 AM PST
FredColo says:
James Harris & Paper Tiger;I believe some of the two packs have to do with 2D & 3D. Also some of the BD's don't do the director cut or everything that is on the DVD.
Won't the BD player play the DVDs with better quality? Cavardossi answered this, on Dec 03 at 7:50:04

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:22:50 AM PST
Mike K says:
Often times you can get the combo packs for not much more than the DVD only. Even if you don't have a player now, it makes more sense to get the combo. If you sell the disc you don't use, you come out ahead. If you hold onto it, you don't need to worry about upgrading later. Down the road, if you have both players and one of your copies gets damaged, you still can watch the other.

Your assumption is correct. I watch the BD and share the DVD with friends and family. I am in a similar situation in that I don't have a 3D Blu-ray player (or 3D TV) but when the price is right, I go for the 3D, 2D Blu + DVD combo. Buying combos comes down to price. If you only have to pay $5 extra to get the additional BD, then it is a bargain.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:41:39 AM PST
paper tiger says:
Yes, sometimes the basic single disc Blu-ray editions leave out the extended or directors cut, which pushes people to purchase the 3-disc editions.

And yea, a DVD will look better on a Blu-ray player due to upconversion.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:13:13 AM PST
I pretty much stream everything, and I am not concerned about the difference in sound or picture quality. To each his/her own. To me on a very light, meager budget. Heck, I don't own an HDTV, nor a blueray, and I could care less. Just give me a good story. I will spend on something maybe 4 times a year. I just started spending on XBOX Live, and love the options I have between Hulu, Netflix, and Zune. With these, I am pretty much covered and happy. To be honest, because of the internet and XBOX Live, I am weening myself off of DVD's and really TV altogether. There is no need to overpay for box sets or DVD's (or Blu-ray) anymore. But that is just me. I only buy a DVD if I can't find what I am looking for on any of the above. (and Hulu and Netflix already has a lot of anime).

The combo packs are just there to make a buck. Nothing more. Maybe someone who had the intention of buying both will save in the long run. But if all you are looking for is either one. Just wait until Roberta's Blood Trail is released with the set. That is likely the DVD I will buy next.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Oct 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions