Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Amazon now Charging Tax!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 817 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 10, 2015 2:10:25 PM PDT
MikeT says:
Ummmmm.... cuz Amazon is going to invest over a billion $$$ in Ohio and employ hundreds of workers? As well as the fact that Amazon is already in Kentucky and Indiana? Maybe those reasons?

Posted on Aug 10, 2015 12:22:27 PM PDT
Ron Moronson says:
My purchases from Amazon have dropped way off now that taxes are being collected. 2 day Prime shipping doesn't compensate for the increase in price taxes bring. I won't be renewing Prime because of taxes. I will shop elsewhere. Not sure why it was so critical to have a physical presence in Ohio. Should have just built in Kentucky and Indiana where the population is much smaller. Amazon better start offering Prime shipping to marketplace orders or they're going to see dramatic loses.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2015 12:50:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2015 12:53:39 PM PDT
BigMamou says:
In what has degenerated into a ridiculous and moronic thread we have reached a new low.......this posting! We have a poster accusing amazon of adding tax "at random" to orders? Amazon NEVER does anything at random! It all depends on what state one lives in but amazon cares about the laws of EVERY state if only because they are open to massive tax evasion if they don't. And the "guess" that amazon is for sale OR has already been sold.........really, can you identify ANY entity on this planet that has the means to BUY amazon whose total net worth just yesterday went over 100 billion dollars......now more than Walmart? And keep it a secret to boot?

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 9:31:06 AM PDT
Sorry about the last post, the Ohio tax free event is mainly for back to school type purchases... clothes under $75, school supplies and small electronics under $20. Amazon should still comply with these tax free items.

Posted on Aug 7, 2015 9:24:09 AM PDT
This is a tax free weekend (7-9) for Ohio, so if you are in OH and Amazon charges you state sales tax, as they just did to me, you should complain.

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 9:55:50 AM PDT
I just did a product search for Amazon.com... there was only one left, so I picked it up for $12.3 Billion. I was not charged tax. Got free shipping, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2015 8:02:05 AM PDT
Tunkashila says:
You have to be very careful when placing the orders with any online retailers. Amazon at random will add taxes even to medical equipment and even vitamins and herbal Supplements. They do not seem to care at all, about the laws nor about customer. My guess is that Amazon.com is for sale or... It was already sold?

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 6:35:12 AM PDT
E. Landry says:
I was taken aback when I saw a sales tax charge on my latest order. I buy from Amazon a number of times a week. They are doing me a favor by collecting tax and sending it to whomever (or keeping it themselves) as I will be thinking twice before buying anything, at all. Can do without! Thank you, Amazon!

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 7:39:05 AM PDT
Tunkashila says:
I just cancelled my large order after amazon tried to charge me SELLS TAX ON THE HERBAL SUPLEMENT that I use to buy every few months! It is illegal to charge tax on meds or vitamins in NY States! WTF is GOING on with Amazon?

Also I noticed that as a Prime (tial) costomer, prices of THE SAME ITEMS that I used to buy befor, went up by an average if 25%! I only got one item today, an Herb Ashawagandha, of of pre desperation but in the future I will try to get it elsewhere.

Posted on Jul 9, 2015 6:39:17 PM PDT
James L. Ray says:
I have shopped Amazon almost exclusively for years. Now, with Amazon charging tax, I will shop locally first. Amazon is shooting themselves in the foot. It also seems their return policies are getting tougher. Everything I loved about Amazon.Com is going away.
Bye

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2015 2:56:32 PM PDT
Frank S says:
Deal with it folks. We've enjoyed online purchasing without paying tax in our states for too long. Maybe it will be a less painful way than property taxes to pay for some of the services that states provide.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2015 8:09:07 AM PDT
augustus10 says:
shop ebay...no taxes

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2015 3:50:54 PM PDT
bfore13 says:
How unfortunate that you'll now have to pay the taxes that you avoided paying in the past.

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 2:11:41 AM PDT
MikeT says:
Yes, because Amazon is investing well over a billion dollars in Ohio for a data center and a distribution center employing close to 1,000 workers. Amazon now has a physical presence in Ohio therefore must charge sales tax to Ohio residents.

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 9:22:56 AM PDT
It looks like Ohio is now on Amazon's list of states to tax. What a huge disappointment!! I have shopped almost exclusively with them and no taxes were a huge attraction!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2015 9:42:03 AM PDT
BigMamou says:
How is that a reason? Sounds like "hater" stuff to me. Just like the W-mart haters, big business haters in general and all government haters! What other system would you prefer.....putting you first?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2015 7:15:20 AM PDT
What good does that do? You pay them tax too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2015 2:27:16 PM PDT
P Brassinga says:
Might as well add Nevada to your list, sales tax started here a year or two ago as well. Still does not get me to big box store for they tax also, and I would rather spend my time on researching the item(s) then driving to stores.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2015 5:53:44 AM PDT
D. Townsend says:
I was wondering when it was going to kick in where I live . Really I see it like this, Instead of my Free two day shipping with Prime. I'm now paying for shipping. Amazon use to be my go-to spot. Now I will shop around as well. Especially for big ticket items.

Posted on May 31, 2015 2:27:13 PM PDT
Well, in about 10 hours we can add Ohio to the taxed list.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2015 3:17:32 AM PDT
not when you live in a corrupt state like illinois buddy. those taxes people are howling about are not going to improve public services, there lining the pockets of scum bag politicians, who more than likely end up on jail when they forget to pay one more person enough hush money, but in the mean time i guess it's ok they found one more way to take money out of my pocket? Check the history of Illinois representatives and what they consider good ways of spending tax dollars and you might not be as confident as you sound in your post. Not sure where you live but you shouldnt make such broad generalizations about places you are not intimately familliar with.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2015 1:53:22 PM PDT
Breezer23 says:
Wasn't Amazon's decision. You can thank the state of Illinois for not being able to control spending. They required Amazon to collect Sales Tax to increase revenue coming into the state to fund all the waste.

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 6:27:12 AM PDT
MikeT says:
Virginia-sue
What state are you in? If Virginia then Amazon has physical locations in your state which means where the products come from is a moot point. Amazon is just (trying) to comply with the law.

I highly doubt Amazon is keeping the collected taxes. If any company collects Sales/Use tax and does not pay it to the state collected for, they are going to face huge fines, penalties, legal issues. Amazon would not do this if only to avoid the bad PR. States audit business' for just this type of "collect and not pay" and they are quite thorough (trust me, I know first hand). :)

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 7:15:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2015 7:16:23 PM PDT
virginia-sue says:
I was concerned during the last two orders that the sellers state was not made available on the screen. I keep looking but no state listed. Amazon has charged me tax on every thing I have purchased in the past month because they said the seller might be in my state. I do not believe they are paying taxes with this money because we have to pay it at the end of the year, whatever part is not included on our taxes. So if I pay it at the end of the year then why are THEY collecting it. They are probably keeping the money, I already pay shipping and I cannot afford both. This will be my last order because this country is tax crazy and so is Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2015 3:30:22 PM PDT
Segelkatt says:
Evading taxes or not, looking for the best deal or not, what it comes to is: if the state does not collect the taxes of various kinds it will have less money to pay for services such as police, fire protection, road repair, schools, public services of every kind, etc. You get what you pay for, it has always been that way. So check your priorities before you howl about taxes.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  311
Total posts:  817
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  24 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions