Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Blu-ray Sucks! Amazon keeps pushing a format that I hate and will never buy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 469 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 6:10:23 PM PDT
John,

Just about all catalog movies 10 years old or older are released at $15 or lower. New release movies are down to $15 in two months. Disney does an over the top wonderful job on their dvd released, along with Criterion, so they are very much allowed to charge a little extra.

You are basically complaining about nothing that is true. If you continue to find prices that high, I suggest you stop shopping at the mall.

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:20:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 8:21:39 PM PDT
Matt says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:26:57 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
bare in mind also, when your buying a blu-ray movie, your not only paying for the movie, but paying for the quality that comes with the blu-ray disc, scratch resistant surface and the movie is in HD quality. you're actually getting what you pay for.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 8:45:52 PM PDT
@ A M:
You said: "And friction is two solids rubbing against one another. A solid material spinning against the air doesn't create friction and heat. shows how much you know."

The OP is being silly. But you should probably go educate yourself a little too. Why do you think falling space junk burns up on re-entry? Why did failure of heat shielding kill the crew of a space shuttle? Moving quickly through air *does* cause friction and heat. Quite a bit of it, in fact. Just not how the OP thinks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 9:16:45 PM PDT
douglasG says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 9:56:12 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
>>Yes air can cause friction but do Blu ray players spin a disc fast enough to do this? I am willing to bet the answer is NO.<<

well, actually there are times after I play PS3 games for a long time, when I take the game out, the disc is very warm to the touch.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 10:01:28 PM PDT
douglasG says:
Is it from the friction or the laser?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 10:19:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 10:20:53 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
the laser is probably only 5 milliwatts of power, which wouldn't make anything warm to the touch. I think it is friction.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 10:32:17 PM PDT
douglasG says:
I still think there is not enough friction if any to get the disc warm. Maybe it is heat from the machine or the blu ray laser reading the disc for long periods of time? Also you can use a blu ray laser to burn things, there are videos on youtube of how to do this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 11:45:57 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
well if that's true, i would think it would be a fire hazard issue for the machine.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 1:09:25 AM PDT
Kerry.b says:
Am i reading this right..Blu Ray SUCKS!!!!! Dude seriously check your pulse i mean how can ya say that you hate BD,its the best format in the world,and how you do not like the HD that appears on your HD TV..DVD SUCKS dude
it
sucks BIG TIME..i will never go back to watching dvd's ever again..thankgod blu ray has been invented..Blu ray RULES!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 2:00:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 2:01:27 AM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
damn straight it does! I hate having to play certain games that contain multiple discs. with blu-ray you only have the 1. 3 DVD discs all in 1 blu-ray disc. wish PC devs would switch to blu-ray disc format. games will only get bigger in the future and contain 4 discs or more, like Sims 2.

Posted on May 14, 2012 7:37:32 AM PDT
netman says:
The heated Blu Ray discs in the PS3 is caused because the internal temperature operating temperature of the PS3 is quite hot, especially the older models. It has nothing to do with friction in this case. Always make sure the unit has plenty of ventilation.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 8:32:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 8:46:40 AM PDT
Graham says:
ABSOLUTELY!!..BLU-RAY IS WAY WAY SUPERIOR ACTUALLY!!! Maybe 6 times more DETAIL and UNCOMPRESSED DTS MASTER AUDIO HD AND DOLBY TRUE HD 5.1,6.1 and 7.1 SOUND on New Films are you kidding me??? It's Amazing and I have thousands of DVD's...more than seven thousand.(maybe more have to do a recount at some pount)...and yes alot of them are great with upconversion and I am only buying the great Iconic Bluray's going forward...but I would NEVER buy a DVD again if given the choice(as long as the Blu-Ray is a Great Transfer and was done correctly and accurately...and THEY ARE MUCH MUCH better on ANY of the older B&W & Color Films (Especially Technicolor)95% of the time. Oh My God....and you KNOW in 10 Years 3D 4K is coming and they will Reissue everything ALL over again...They have 4K now but there is really no incentive for them to start reissuing because most Displays are still 1920 X 1080P (except in Japan of course...They have had Super HD for quite a while) BUT...It is Definitely coming...there is no stopping it....but what we have now is simply AMAZING...and I am very content...but I won't knock what is coming in the future because of what I have now....It is what it is! Enjoy the NOW!!

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:37:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 8:47:48 AM PDT
Graham says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 2:53:53 AM PDT
JNagarya says:
10 pages of this nonsense issue and it's still continuing!? Someone who has an extra give this guy a life -- without charging.

Posted on May 16, 2012 8:16:24 AM PDT
bartfam says:
Dvd's are a dying format and if you don't like Blu-ray then you probably don't like movies!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 9:33:45 AM PDT
A M says:
@Captain Zones & Sha Gojyo:

There is a big difference between a disc spinning in the air and the friction of an object piercing through the earth's atmosphere.

And a disc feels warm after it has been in our PS3 is because it is in a giant computer with lots of electronics that get hot. There is a giant fan inside the PS3 for a reason. It is not from the friction of the disc spinning or the laser. The disc feels warm because it was surrounded by electronics that were warm.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 9:39:15 AM PDT
A M says:
@ John Painer

"If I paid $10 for the movie 10 years ago in VHS or DVD format, why should I be ripped off for another $25 for the blu ray version? Look at how Disney continues to gouge people for over $18 for movies that are 20 years old."

You know you have the option to NOT buy the movie again! Also, it depends on whether you want the added picture resolution that Blu Ray offers over DVD and that DVD offered over VHS. If you want the better presentation - you have to pay for it.

Also, did it ever occur to you that Disney is putting old movies on Blu Ray for people other than you? There might be new parents who want to show Snow White or Sleeping Beauty to their children? But since there are plenty of single people who don't own the film - they now have to go out and buy it new. So they choose a blu ray over a DVD or used VHS.

It's not to gouge you to re-buy the movies. It is to make the movies available for new customers!

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:22:51 AM PDT
Kyle C. says:
LOL, this sure is funny. Bluray will always rock. I own like 75 back home, I wish I could
BUY them all!!!! I even know someone who has like 600 movies in BD glory.

DVD sucks. HD-DVD, how would I know when BD first came out and
I tried it, fell in love with it by then! my favorites would be Ben-Hur, the Ten Commandments and I, Robot in BD. These are sick-looking, pristine movies, yo! =)

oh oh.. I forgot to add Rango =)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:32:35 AM PDT
I don't think DVD sucks; it is still a good format considering that it was developed in the 1990s to replace the far older analog videotape one that had been around (initially just within the TV industry from the mid-1950s to the late '70s, then becoming the first viable home video format in the late 1970s and early 1980s) for decades.

That having been said, I do like Blu-ray discs more, even though I doubt that I will swap out every DVD movie I own for its BD counterpart. I'll do that with my favorites, of course, but not with films that I don't watch too often.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:54:02 AM PDT
Maybe the OP never even got as "state of the art" as eight-tracks or cassettes; maybe he uses reel-to-reel audiotapes still....

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 11:07:33 AM PDT
Phillip,

VHS movies were outrageously expensive when that format was becoming popular; I remember shelling out $83 for the first widely-available VHS edition of Star Wars (aka Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope) in 1984; $79.99 was the average price of most of the Big Movies out on VHS till prices dropped in the early 1990s (to an average of $23.99). The only times I saw VHS movies (that were not pirated, natch) for less than $10 was if they were used, not of really successful movies or from lesser studios, or if they were being consigned to the bargain bins to make room for newer titles. Only when DVDs became the dominant format in the 2000s did prices dip below $15 for new-release titles; I remember getting the 2000 release of the Classic Star Wars Trilogy for $25, ironically enough, when I bought my first (and crappy-because-it-was-cheap) DVD player.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 8:50:03 PM PDT
JNagarya says:

Posted on May 23, 2012 4:58:31 PM PDT
a hddvdiot! that format is dead. it's been YEARS now since it's death. five years? blu ray is king and that's that. and the discs are very sturdy.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  171
Total posts:  469
Initial post:  Jun 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions