Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Amazon now Charging Tax!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 276-300 of 773 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 4:05:20 PM PST
JNagarya says:
New Hampshire also lacks a property tax, so lacks the most equitable and stable means to fund education.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:02:41 PM PST
S. Sparks says:
I was very disappointed when Amazon started charging tax to Texas back in July. I have drastically cut down on purchases from Amazon, unless it's something I absolutely have to have in 2 days or less, which means I will have to rethink if it's worth renewing my prime membership. I suppose it will be the norm for all online purchases eventually...Sad!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:17:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 3:20:36 PM PST
FredColo says:
Add Colorado, the damrats in state government passed a bill and started charging us about two years ago. Your state can make them start charging tax, and Amazon is required to collect it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:24:28 PM PST
FredColo says:
Yes, you dumb messed up liberal. Romany was wrong it may be 51% and not 47% .
Eight posts in a row from you has shown 1% of you ignorance.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 3:31:07 PM PST
FredColo says:
" actually deal with facts" enough of your assumptions and lies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:53:42 PM PST
A. Salcido says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:14:17 PM PST
A. Salcido says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:58:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 12:44:16 PM PST
Cowboy Tony says:
While you may not escape your state's tax, buying from amazonuk can often save you money. Stick to DVDs and make sure they are coded "All regions." The UK does not charge the dreaded V.A.T tax on items shipped overseas. I recently purchased a boxed set of eight (blu-ray) films and paid $75.00. To buy this from Amazon in the U.S. the price was $115.00. (I reside in a state that does not tax items bought online).

Since I posted this comment, I checked the current price for this eight-disc blu-ray set. (New) on Amazon.com it is $115.00 (incl. shipping). (New) on Amazon uk the exact same set is $43.08 (incl. shipping). By the way, English pounds are converted to dollars right before you place your order.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:30:31 PM PST
stevign says:
How about shipping costs? Amazon and their Sellers don't always offer free shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:32:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 12:38:10 PM PST
JNM70 says:
I live in Texas and I have never had to pay tax to orders that come directly from Amazon. For the first time now, I am getting taxed and I am not happy. I was not aware that Texas was bullying Amazon like California and some other states. The free shipping and no taxes are very important to me. I buy things that I would not buy locally anyway, so I am not cheating local businesses out of sales nor the state out of taxes by buying from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:24:42 PM PST
viceversa says:
States were FORCED to do it after the cry from other retailers crying foul. (Best Buy, Target, Kmart, Walmart, etc etc). They did this claiming "fair market practice".

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:53:00 PM PST
Since starting to charge tax in CA, stopped offering credits on preordered games, and crappy preorder exclusives it just doesn't seem worth it to use Amazon anymore. Best Buy now price matches Amazon, so instead of waiting 2 days for my package to be stolen off my doorstep I can now get it for the same price and have it the same day. Why would I order from Amazon if I can also get it the same price elsewhere and then price-match at that store for 30 days as well? Amazon not offering price matching after an item ships is a huge negative now. I have been a Prime member for a few years and it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:29:24 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>so instead of waiting 2 days for my package to be stolen off my doorstep<<

buy a paintball or CO2 BB gun and give em hell.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 9:32:43 AM PST
JNagarya says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 1:23:10 PM PST
karina says:
It's not amazon's fault. There was an article many months ago and the states were furious with amazon because they didn't tax. Believe me amazon tried its hardest to fight them, for us, the loyal customers but in the end, amazon had no choice. I will still be a loyal customer, at least they tried.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 11:45:44 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "It's not amazon's fault"

That's true, I have to tax my customers as well. All it really is is me collecting money for the state, keeping track of what city I did the work in, collecting the proper sales tax and then turning it over to the state quarterly. It's a pain in the ass and it cost me more in accounting fees. I'm sure Amazon is as thrilled about it as I am. (sarcasm)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:24:14 PM PST
M. Gaudet says:
it is all well and good to charge me state sales tax for the one i live in,charging for ones i dont is like a vat or national sales tax.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:44:33 PM PST
bfore13 says:
Why would they do that? Who said that they were?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 11:42:04 AM PST
Mathew J says:
"...you are talking about pennies on the dollar." You sound like an ad. writer..Of course we're talking about "pennies on the dollar". But that ubiquitous phrase includes every amount between 2 pennies and 99 pennies. So please don't offer the fact that any tax is "pennies on the dollar" as any evidence that said tax is insignificant. ...It may be...or it may be moderate or it may be flat out stifling.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 11:59:16 AM PST
Which state charges 99% sales tax?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 1:35:31 PM PST
stevign says:
California in about 2 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 6:15:11 PM PST
bfore13 says:
I think you missed his key point.

"You are supposed to report these taxes regardless if Amazon charges them or not."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 8:39:49 PM PST
Kent Perry says:
Sure, I am going to order all of my movies and video games now for the next 5 years. Brilliant.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 8:46:10 PM PST
KingV911 says:
As nice as it is to save on tax, it truly is killing sales tax revenues to states that desperately need it.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 9:45:45 PM PST
Craftygirl says:
With legislation around the country it soon won't matter who or where you purchase goods. There will be a sales tax added. Do taxes stink? Yes. Are they are necessary? Yes. I understand it adds to the overall cost of items however if any given state does not have enough revenue then they have to start cutting programs. Less programs mean less help to the people and depending on the state that can mean some pretty drastic hardships. It is a vicious cycle of which we are all victim to. I loved the post "pennies on a dollar" well I don't know about the rest of you but those pennies can add up to a pretty significant chunk of change in the long run.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  287
Total posts:  773
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions