Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

BLU RAY movies that don't play on PS3 for whatever reason

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 98 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008 11:10:13 AM PST
J. Fortunato says:
I can't play the blu ray of "The Searchers" on my PS3. I got it from Blockbuster Online, reported it and they sent me another and it still doesn't play. All other blu ray discs play without issue. If you find anything out about this title, let me know!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2008 7:06:59 PM PST
J. Perry says:
Same thing happened to me with a copy of The Happening from Netflix. They sent a new one and it did the same thing, plays the previews and gets to the start menu only. I upgraded the PS3 firmware and now when I entered the disc the PS3 asked if it could connect to the internet since some new BDs need to. Everything runs fine now after the firmware upgrade.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 8:04:38 PM PST
Peter DeMars says:
I have never had any problems whatsoever with my PS3. I've had it for almost a year and have watched about 100 movies on it. I have also spent an embarrassingly large number of hours playing games on it and I haven't experienced a single problem.

And, as someone else said, the PS3 decodes TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. It sends it out as *uncompressed* PCM. This is great for sound, but not for those lonely little HD audio indicator lights on my receiver.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 8:50:54 PM PST
W. H. Dumas says:
I've tried 4 different copies of The Happening and none gets farther than the "play movie" menu. This is ridiculous. Is there a fix for this problem? Sony was no help when I called. Just kept directing me to the website. No help of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 6:16:12 PM PST
J. Perry says:
You need to upgrade your firmware. I think you can find it under settings and then check for updates.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 2:50:18 PM PDT
i am having the same problem , first with return of Jeti, and now with all three of the prequels. yet my ps3 plays all of my other blu ray movies

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 3:28:05 PM PDT
turkish says:
Thor blu ray would get stuck midway through on my fat PS3, but it played fine on slim. both blu rays are recently updated. dont know whats up with that

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 3:31:53 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
J. Perry

You comment about some new BDs needing to be hooked to the Internet before they will play is kind of alarming. What is your source for that statement? Neither of my stand alone BD players are hooked up and I have no plans to do so as I'm not interested in BD-Live. I haven't yet run into a BD they couldn't play, but every time I put a new one in, I wonder if this will be the first one to give me problems.

Sorry, I know this is a PS3 related thread, but I had to comment.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 7:46:34 PM PDT
C. Robinson says:
Hey, guys. The best thing to do is to update your firmware or to let your Blu-Ray manufacturer be aware of the issue. A ton of guys are out buying the Star Wars movies on Blu Ray now, so believe me, I'm sure they are probably aware of the problem by now. Anyway, you can download most firmware updates to something like a flash drive, and then you can load it off on the Blu Ray player. But in all honestly, it's probably easier just to get updates from a wireless network to make updates way easier.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 4:28:38 AM PDT
MikeT says:
Cavardossi,
I know there were issues with two Lionsgate BD releases (Crank 2 was one of the titles) which did require an internet connection on some players or else they would simply not play. I don't believe it specifically affected PS3's and this was some time ago.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17142304#post17142304

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 11:24:44 AM PDT
Crank 2 required an SD card (or internal memory), as stated in the back of the case. The OP in that thread was frustrated, and left his internet connection in after he updated his firmware.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 1:53:08 PM PDT
bookfinder says:
I have never experienced any problems playing blu-rays or dvds on my playstation 3... I keep mine up to date and I own about 100 - 150 movies, which are a mix between blu-ray and dvd... I also have like 115gb used on my ps3 and I play games on it and rarely use the net only because I have a computer and can multi-task between my computer and ps3... I also have the newest harry potter blu-ray which i saw mentioned above that someone else was struggling with it... it has everything stored were you last played, so if you want to start from the beginning what I do is press the square button on your ps3 control and then select scene 1... or select the playstation button returning to the main menu... then hit the triangle button and scroll down to select play from the beginning... another reason you may be experiencing problems is because I think their is a repeat button on the playstation. when your playing the movie click the triangle button and go to the repeat button and make sure it's turned off...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 4:09:09 AM PDT
MikeT says:
" Jonathan A. Chang says: Crank 2 required an SD card (or internal memory), as stated in the back of the case. The OP in that thread was frustrated, and left his internet connection in after he updated his firmware. "

Correct, and absent such an extra memory device laying around the users only option is to connect to the internet with that player.

What seems silly about that whole debacle is that the additional memory requirements were really only needed for added content if I recall correctly, not for the movie itself. So forcing people to have an added memory device and/or an internet connection was downright stupid and was corrected for later releases.

Not reading the back of the box is secondary to proper and correct disk authoring to at least offer the movie itself without making the user jump through hoops for content the user did not buy/rent the movie for in the first place. :)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:32:24 PM PST
Jesse S. says:
I have a few Blu Rays...American Reunion plays fine until about an hour and 22-24 mins then it freezes and won't let me watch the rest of the movie,American Pie 2 on Blu Ray as well didn't even want to play for me at all,it would freeze and skip without picture.I have Rain Man,Labryinth & Road House and they all play fine without any freezing issues.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:41:43 PM PST
J. Couture says:
I own upwards of 600 Blu rays and the only ones that I have had an issue on my Playstation 3 with have been X-Men: First Class....and the film Sunshine. Other than that, no issues ever

Posted on May 20, 2013 1:53:29 PM PDT
M. Pind says:
Sunshine

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013 9:41:34 PM PDT
had a few Netflix rentals that won't play...most recently "Admission". Netflix can ruin a movie rental

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 11:14:12 PM PDT
Of all the Blu-rays I own, I only have problems with The Dirty Dozen. That is an unrecognized disk. On an earlier player (Pioneer) it had no issues.

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 12:28:04 AM PDT
MGX says:
I have 2 PS£ 1st and last generation (firs with 60Gb and last 500Gb), play tons of BluRay discs bought around the world and all run correctly!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2013 6:40:34 PM PDT
found out that you have to go into the system settings and disable auto-internet connection for the blueray device on the ps3 to get that movie to play

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 9:11:00 PM PDT
Colossus1090 says:
Many times this can be solved by disconnecting your PS3 from the internet. Sorry to hear it was your laser though...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2013 7:30:10 PM PDT
Yourdad says:
You can also reset your PS2 by holding down the power button on start up until you hear it beep. This solved my problem when it refused to play the new Blue-Rays I bought. This resets some of your preferences to factory presets though.

Posted on Aug 19, 2013 6:44:42 PM PDT
G. K says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2013 7:38:29 PM PDT
TD says:
Thanks for the info. Disabling the auto-internet connection also worked on getting a 2013 blu-ray movie to play on the Sony bdp-s570 blu-ray dvd player. I tried several things without success and this tip actually worked to get the movie playing in a relatively new dvd player.

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 2:11:32 PM PDT
I recently did a firmware update BDP-N460, since then about half of my blu ray titles will not play. When I load them it says "INVALID" on the player readout, and "unable to playback" on the tv screen. Spent an hour on the phone with Sony only to have them tell me that "maybe when the new firmware updates come out that may solve the problem". Any one else have this problem? I have a couple thousand dollars in blu ray discs!!!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  74
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 22, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions