Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Amazon now Charging Tax!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 817 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:53:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:59:05 AM PST
Actually, bfore13 seems to "get it" just fine. I am sure none of us like paying tax .. the TAX is the issue, not that just one vendor here or there gets the "benefit" of not being required to collect it on behalf of the state.

As soon as Amazon "passed" the test for NEXUS in a state, just like any other vendor, they should be required to collect sales tax on behalf of that state (as the law is currently written and enforced.)

HERE is the real rub .. it looks like soon all states are going to add to the rules of NEXUS .. that ALL internet vendors will be required to collect tax for any state they sell in (regardless of they have a physical presence in that state or not.) This is where it is heading: http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/domestic-taxes/231899-gop-governors-bolster-sales-tax-push

Fighting this battle is fighting government spending and then the tax rates in general on ALL purchasing .. not just a vendor here or there. I think it would be fun to see that all taxes (income, sales, etc...) quit getting automatically withheld from paychecks or added to purchases and then EVERYONE has to write a check every week or month for all their portion. THAT would open eyes to how much tax is being levied on folks (and the only reason we have these taxes is because of government overspending.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:47:35 PM PST
bfore13 says:
Please enlighten me!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:15:46 AM PST
JHP says:
I've been paying tax on gifts for relatives in New York for several years now, and it was always a sore spot. Now, after flying under the radar for so long, Amazon will start charging sales tax on my own purchases here in Arizona starting in January 2013.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:22:16 PM PST
It is irrational to charge me tax for a purchase I made in Oregon as a gift for a friend in New York. New York had nothing to do with this transaction so why should they profit? Makes no sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:36:43 PM PST
State sales tax is always determined by the state to which the product will be delivered.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:42:14 PM PST
warrian says:
Interstate Tax Law says that the tax rate applied is dictated by where the item is purchased by the buyer (in person) or where the item purchased ends up (when shipped). This actually does make the most sense in most cases. In cases like yours where it doesn't, it still has the benefit of being the most easily confirmed, which is probably part of why they settled on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:26:26 PM PST
J. Hollon says:
Yep Ohio you have declare what ever you buy on line that you aren't taxed for :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:38:47 PM PST
California too (it's called "use tax"). I believe this is true for most states, but few people comply, and that's why so many state legislatures are now forcing online retailers to collect the state sales tax themselves, rather than relying on consumers to fulfill their legal duty.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:55:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 5:03:39 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>Amazon now Charging Tax!<<

good reason why not to shop at Amazon, I do my game shopping and other things at newegg instead, no tax and free 2 day shipping on most items and I get free coupons from them every time I buy somthing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:12:19 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>NO TAX@AMAZON by 3rd PARTY SELLERS<<

3rd party sellers don't give you much of a deal either. when the Wii U was launched, all the 3rd party sellers bought them all from Amazon, then turned around and sold the Wii U for $400 - $600 (with no games included) insted of retail price of $300 and $350 like they are everywhere else.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:44:54 PM PST
Thats because everywhere else is sold out - the law of supply and demand

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:04:52 PM PST
Tim Miser says:
Welcome to our world. ("Our" being folks in Washington state, Amazon's home where they have been charging us tax since they got on the net)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:18:18 PM PST
I live in WA, and have ordered on Amazon for years, and have always paid tax. Big deal. If I walk into a store I will pay it there also. I have prime membership, get free 2 day shipping, find lots of deals better than what stores offer, and i dont have to fight crowds. Confused about the outrage.....

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:19:35 AM PST
stevign says:
News item:

Amazon had battled with authorities for some time over the fact that it didn't charge its customers a sales tax. The book giant argued that if it didn't have a physical presence in a state, such as a warehouse or office, it was not required to do so, basing its reasoning on a 1992 Supreme Court decision which stated the same.

Senior fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities Michael Mazerov said that the Internet companies were originally allowed to skip out on the tax because of a sentiment that Internet companies should be given a chance to get on their feet, an ironic sentiment now that Amazon is forcing many brick-and-mortar stores out of business.

"The original justification for this de facto tax exemption was that the Internet ought to get some growing space," Mazerov told The New York Times.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:35:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 6:38:01 AM PST
stevign says:
Aside from the battle between brick & mortar stores and companies like Amazon, we all know full well what the breaking point was that finally led to the charging of tax by Amazon and other such internet companies; certain greedy politicians and their party drove their states to near bankruptcy because they believe bigger government is better government. If you believe as they do and voted for that party in the last election, then you don't have the right to complain about it now.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:41:50 PM PST
A. Salcido says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:54:11 PM PST
stevign says:
lololol.......Isn't everything?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:37:59 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:15:53 AM PST
Cao says:
Its now time to search for other retailers that don't charge tax.
Goodbye Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:26:35 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
and that would be Newegg.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:39:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 11:40:56 AM PST
Newegg collects CA sales tax too.

Also, just fyi, Arnold hasn't been our governor for nearly two years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:48:09 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>Newegg collects CA sales tax too.<<

maybe you do since you live there, but I don't, but then again I live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax on anything, not even on gasoline.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:02:40 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "but then again I live in a state that doesn't charge sales tax on anything, not even on gasoline."

Sounds like a state of bliss.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:10:04 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
you could say that, if you like mountain sceneries.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:26:36 PM PST
stevign says:
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  311
Total posts:  817
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  22 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions