Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

3D wifi Blu Ray that will play mkv, avi, mp4

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 6, 2012 8:33:23 AM PDT
M. Teuton says:
Will use for hard drive playback thru USB. Need to be able to play mp4, avi and mkv and listen to mp3, FLAC, etc. Not audiophile or extreme videophile. Will spend up to $500 but prefer less than $300. Will consider PS3 if necessary. I want to be as seamless as possible with my two iMACs, Windows 7 and older laptops including several network and external hard drives in NT format. Like Netflix and want Amazon etc options. What's best for me? Thanks

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 9:44:33 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 10:25:31 AM PDT
Gin says:
I don't know the answer unfortunately. But I guarantee you'll get a much better response from the AVSForum. Sorry so many people downvoted you for a genuine question =\.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 10:57:02 AM PDT
M. Teuton says:
I'm an old fart newbie to this stuff. I didn't even notice the down vote. It's a little confusing to be and I have a doctorate.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 8:08:09 AM PDT
Sudeley says:
that is because people downvote just to be mean, I saw nothing wrong with your post, I gave it a thumbs up because I am smart enough to understand a post, And I would love to know of a blu ray player that does that, and I would get it if i found one.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 11:36:26 AM PDT
EdM says:
I expect that _some_ down-voted THIS question, because the OP made 2 almost identical posts, the second modifying the first a small bit, and didn't delete the original post:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/blu-ray/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2R11KXGJPWBTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxO4L3HER6T1BA&cdMsgID=Mx2ULLC6Z6SF6QL#Mx2ULLC6Z6SF6QL

When a modified post is carrying on the OP's intended question, how does the original "add[s] to the discussion"? The other discussion actually has some substantive answers, unlike this discussion. IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 11:45:28 AM PDT
Sudeley says:
I only downvote if its a post from a troll that is obviously trolling against the people or OP. some do it just to do it which is wrong.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 1:27:02 AM PDT
Todd Trenda says:
M. Teuton...sorry this forum can be mean to new people.

As someone said before, have you ever thought of using a media player or do you have to use a Blu-Ray player? The Samsung Blu-Ray player I own will play through the USB, ....MKV, MP4, and a lot of DIVX files. It is nice to have a media player as backup when the file wont play on my Blu-Ray player.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 12:10:19 PM PDT
You are, of course, apologizing for yourself, because you are the only person who has repeatedly been resorting to childish name calling the last few weeks. Are you that much in denial that you do not realize that you are the biggest offender of your own complaints?

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:23:56 PM PDT
Todd Trenda says:
Give it a rest C. Barbus.....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 3:14:50 PM PDT
I will when you will. Every one of my comments is a response to yours. If you weren't the living embodiment of what you whine about, maybe you would be a happier person.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 3:58:56 PM PDT
Todd Trenda says:
C. Barbus....

Give it a rest.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 4:44:10 PM PDT
"but I am done."

http://www.amazon.com/forum/blu-ray/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2R11KXGJPWBTU&cdMsgNo=1215&cdPage=49&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxEP1RZ5D9ZT0I&cdMsgID=Mx3OR50XTKEXGVT#Mx3OR50XTKEXGVT

So you lied again. Why, if you want it to rest, do you keep on posting?

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 4:47:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 4:48:56 PM PDT
Todd Trenda says:
C. Barbus....I am sorry you feel I lied to you. What would you like to happen for us to move on from this stupid battle? As I said before....please

Give it a rest.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 4:59:20 PM PDT
Todd Trenda says:
M. Teuton

I am not sure you saw my above post....but...if not. Do you need to have a Blu-Ray player that plays all those formats or can you use a media player instead? The Samsung Blu-Ray player I own will play through the USB, ....MKV, MP4, and a lot of DIVX files. It is nice to have a media player as backup when the file wont play on my Blu-Ray player.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 5:01:08 PM PDT
As you said before, you said you would never speak of it again, yet here you have spoken of it again. There is no trust here. All you have to do is give it a rest yourself, as you wish for. Why do keep asking of others what you cannot do yourself?

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 5:03:34 PM PDT
Todd Trenda says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 6:31:41 PM PDT
M. Teuton says:
Yes, I just got a WD media player but my garden and other things are keeping me from hooking it up. I'll try and get to it tomorrow. I have to get my wife to plug stuff in I don't see well anymore. And she knows way less than me so its quite a trip to play electronics. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 6:33:07 PM PDT
Todd Trenda says:
M. Teuton..

Glad to hear you went with a media player, I am pretty sure you will be happy with it.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 9:00:30 AM PST
"BIG MARCUS" says:
Can ANYONE with experience actually answer this VERY GOOD question...????
I'd like to know myself as I'm looking for one too!

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:29:48 AM PST
A M says:
I have a Sony BDP-S580. It fits everything you describe. I don't have a 3D TV, so I haven't utilized that functionality in the player. It plays all the formats you list except FLAC. That one I don't know about (and doubt). The only limitation I have seen is that it can not play video files encoded in DIVX. It connects via wifi and has Pandora, Netflix, Amazon on demand, vudu, Youtube apps, etc.

I got it a year ago, so there is probably a newer version out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 11:14:24 AM PST
"BIG MARCUS" says:
Thanks for the quick response!

I actually posed this on AVS forums and was told that SONY is "picky" on .mkv and .avi files and also beware of their proprietary "studio friendly but not consumer friendly" protective software: CINIVIA.
Can you confirm having played multiple video formats via USB? What type of external drive do you use?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 1:26:34 PM PST
A M says:
@ BIG MARCUS

As I said, I haven't tried any FLAC files. But I know it has played mp3 and m4a audio files. In terms of video, it has played most everything I have thrown at it. I know for a fact that it has played mp4, avi, mkv, mpeg, and wmv files. It is not so much the wrapper as it is the codec.

I know it will not play flv or mov files. And it will not play anything encoded in DIVX. I use a La Cie Rugged drive. The kind with the bright orange rubber bumper.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 1:42:31 PM PST
Sparky says:
Try looking at some of the OPPO players and ask questions in the AVS Forums. Amazon has some Oppo's but the newer ones may be more expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 8:23:50 PM PST
"BIG MARCUS" says:
Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Apr 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions