Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

total recall 2012 blu ray defect

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 61 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:11:29 PM PST
P. R. Blay says:
No defects on either version of film for me. Guess I got lucky.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 5:25:09 PM PST
idstealer000 says:
Don't it will do the exact same thing at the same scene.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 1:48:30 PM PST
B. Armitage says:
Mine skips too, and I'm not going to downgrade my bluray player's settings just to play it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 5:26:23 PM PDT
Yes .I had the same experience.I have been reluctant to replace the disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:42:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 10:43:44 AM PDT
James Cain says:
After reading all the post I called Sony (1-800-421-1404) and talked to a tech that told me to go into the menu of my player and change the output to PCM. The movie is Dolby-Tru-HD. Why would you want to do that? I have tried that on other disc just to hear what it sounds like, did not care for it. Just to see if it would work on Total Recall IT DID NOT chang any thing. The disc did the same thing. I have the latest upgrades.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 2:48:01 AM PDT
MikeT says:
" James R Cain says: .... talked to a tech that told me to go into the menu of my player and change the output to PCM. The movie is Dolby-Tru-HD. Why would you want to do that? "

Because it's the same HD audio regardless of where the TrueHD is decoded. No difference in audio quality.
Whether this suggested fix actually resolves the discussed problem (apparently not) is another issue. Wild guess is that Sony, or that CSR you spoke with, had resolved other issues on some BD's by changing the location of HD audio decoding.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 6:50:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 6:51:36 AM PDT
Roy Zander says:
My copy had the audio dropping out every few seconds.
I've got the Oppo 93, Pioneer Elite SC-57, Elite 70" TV.
Why would I want to fool with my menus, (which are exactly where I want them), Just for one disc???
I sent mine right back to Amazon and am awaiting news of a corrective reissue before I buy it again.
Too bad, too, cuz the show seemed impressive.

Has anyone heard any news of a reissue?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:40:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 11:17:27 AM PDT
warrian says:
At first Sony started a disc replacement plan, but they were only sending out the exact same discs, which not surprisingly had the exact same results. They then said that they would re-author new discs going forward, but no one can confirm that this is actually happening. Though I don't know anything for certain, it appears that once they heard about the PCM over bitstream workaround, they abandoned any fix of any kind. This is the best we've been able to glean from the interactions people have had directly with Sony. There is a lot posted about this over at blu-r@y,com. If you really must get an answer, I would contact Bill at the Digital Bits. He's good at cutting through the rumours and should be interested in getting a correct answer as Sony's actions appear to have undermined his earlier reporting on the issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 1:18:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 1:19:57 PM PDT
Warrian...u are 100% correct since this is what Sony did with me! I plan on boycotting Sony products myself because of their crappy customer service and how they tried to cut corners by telling customers to switch to PCM audio instead of bothering to re-manufacture abd replace all defective blu-ray discs!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 3:32:32 PM PDT
Thank you for this important post.

Instructions for the BDP-83/BDP-93 also works for the OPPO BDP-103.

And yes the problem exists on both theatrical and director's cut.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 5:20:32 PM PDT
Salam Diab says:
i else have the same proplem with taht disk i have oppo 105 and all disk it is ok with me except this movie and i fix the proplem by pressing stop and play agin

Posted on May 18, 2013 11:08:17 AM PDT
Roy Zander says:
Now that Total Recall has been released in a 4K remaster has the audio problem
been resolve? Is the picture quality much improved?
Someone suggested setting your BD player from bitstream output to LPCM to fix
the problem on the former disc. Silly you would have to do that for just that one
disk. When I did that to my Oppo 93, my D-box didn't work.
I may buy the 4K remaster when the price comes down if the pressing
is done correctly.
Reviews, anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 10:18:20 PM PDT
shane mcbain says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 10:20:14 PM PDT
shane mcbain says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 10:22:29 PM PDT
shane mcbain says:

Posted on May 19, 2013 4:39:05 PM PDT
Roy Zander says:
no, Shane - I meant a legitimate review. Not some blowhard spitting into the wind.
The discs audio issues are well documented - and not just by the posters on this forum,
(if you even bothered to read them). Sorry I don't own that top of the line Sampo or Emerson
like you.
BTW, complaining about a discs problems before making sure your firmware is
updated would be stupid, wouldn't it?

Posted on May 20, 2013 10:19:51 AM PDT
Norman Wolf says:
You may not like the new version of the movie, but it is truer to the original story than the old Schwarzneggar version.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 11:50:45 PM PDT
EdM says:
Not more true to the original story. The original Philip K. Dick story had Mars as a main plot line, which the 2012 version movie lacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Can_Remember_It_for_You_Wholesale

"Plot summary

"Douglas Quail, a simple and ordinary clerk, wishes to visit Mars. Unable to afford it, he visits a company, REKAL (pronounced "recall") Incorporated, which promises to implant an "extra-factual memory" of a trip to Mars as a secret agent. The procedure involves administration of narkidrine, a sedative and truth drug, which causes Quail to remember and reveal that he actually did go to Mars as a secret government agent...

[The 2012 version] "largely follows along the lines of the first film. It includes numerous references and nods to the 1990 film, but removes the Mars element..."

Both versions ignore the original Dick story ending, with a return to REKAL.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 11:13:54 AM PDT
EdM says:
BTW - From this review at HighDefDigest, the audio is much improved.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8983/total_recall_2012_4k.html#Section4

So, if you're a fan, go for it. Despite the inarguable technical superiority of PQ and AQ of this version over the 1990 film, I find the story easier to follow in the 1990 version, and who can forget, e.g., the Governator line, "Consider this a divorce"?

IMO, the through the Earth elevator idea is even worse fake science than going to Mars. Not to mention that Australia isn't even geographically opposite to Great Britain, hence no center of the earth mid-point ...

http://xevio.us/douglas/total-recall-bad-mathematics

and

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/onlinestuff/snot/could_you_dig_your_way_through_the_earth_to_australia.aspx

"Why not?!
"Because Australia isn't exactly opposite the UK on Earth.

"What?! Well, what is, then?
"Nothing, I'm afraid. Digging straight down from the UK, you'd pop out somewhere south of New Zealand, in the middle of the Antarctic Ocean. Probably quite annoyed with yourself."

I'm reminded in the manner of a Forrest Gump-ism, about stupid science in the 2012 film. Of course, YMMV.

Posted on May 22, 2013 5:07:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2013 5:12:41 PM PDT]

Posted on May 22, 2013 5:18:18 PM PDT
Dennis says:
Get this version Total Recall (Mastered in 4K) (Single-Disc Blu-ray + Ultra Violet Digital Copy) (2012) Clean all way.

Posted on May 25, 2013 10:04:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2013 10:05:57 AM PDT
M. Breedon says:
I have just returned my copy as my player just says disk unreadable, was sent another and this one does the same, any ideas?

My player has latest firmware as updated to try to resolve the issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013 1:09:51 AM PDT
@Dennis

is it the directors cut or just the normal cut?? because it seems to be only the normal cut.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2013 1:04:32 PM PDT
Except no Extended Cut I believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2013 9:43:12 AM PDT
EdM says:
One review of Total Recall (Mastered in 4k) is found here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Total-Recall-Blu-ray/63570/#Review

"Sony is recalling the days of its "Superbit" DVD releases with the emergence of "Mastered in 4K" (*) Blu-ray discs. ... new transfers are sourced from 4K masters but here's where the giant asterisk comes in: they're then downscaled to standard Blu-ray 1080p resolution...
The discs take advantage of a significantly higher bitrate..."

Set forth in the review is that it is only the theatrical release. In a given [50 Gb dual layer] disc, using that higher bit rate means that the disc is filled with more data per second of movie, e.g. Thus, compromises like few/no extras, no extended version, etc., balanced against improved PQ and AQ.

Note that the reviewer gets it wrong at the end of the review, "particularly for anyone without the state-of-the-art 4K television sets to watch it on." IMO, this shows the extent of misunderstanding since the movie has been clearly down-sampled from 4k to 1080p, as above. Especially if one has a high quality 1080p HDTV, the "Superbit" kind of quality improvements will be clearly apparent.

According to one post in a forum at highdefdigest, the size of the standard version was only 18.5 GB [plenty of extra room on the disc], while the Mi4k version uses ~41-42 GB [of 50 GB max].

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/131013-total-recall-2012-mastered-4k-high-def-digest-review.html#post2394116
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions