Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Warner Bros Sucks!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 179 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:25:32 AM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
Doug,
You're funny, I was smiling when i read your latest post. I was just having a bit of sarcastic fun with you on my last post, just like you did with me that's all.
Having read your last post I can see that it's not on. UV should work every time without any problems and I do get you, when you say that. The thing I was trying to make clear from my POV was that a person can download a UV film and watch it offline, without the need for Wi-Fi etc.I've read lots of other posts on the forum, that seem to say you need to stream all the time to watch a movie. I have SH GoS on my iPad and can watch it offline. It is stored on the device.
I guess I've been really lucky that it worked for me. Just a quick question for you, if UV worked perfectly how would you feel about it then?
Doug, you're alright mate, sorry I got your back up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:40:31 AM PDT
BeatleEd says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 1:01:08 PM PDT
With iTunes you only have to log in when redeeming the code. and once it's downloaded, you never need to authenticate again. Furthermore, as long as you take care to back up your data, you have the digital copy permanently. UV only promises the availability of your purchase for a year, reserving the right to charge you again after.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:04:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 6:14:46 PM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
Arthur,

I'd just like to point out that what you've said re UV is wrong.
Your rights never expire and you don't have to authenticate it again, once downloaded to your device etc.

Below is a comments capture from the UV website.

Will my UltraViolet Rights expire?
Your rights to the movie or TV show you purchase do not expire. For a more detailed description of the UltraViolet Rights, click here.

The above clearly states it never expires. So out of curiosity where did you get your information?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:16:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 6:17:34 PM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:00:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 9:02:24 PM PDT
Zero of One says:
"Below is a comments capture from the UV website.

Will my UltraViolet Rights expire?
Your rights to the movie or TV show you purchase do not expire. For a more detailed description of the UltraViolet Rights, click here.

The above clearly states it never expires. So out of curiosity where did you get your information? "

I think Arthur is talking about what it says in the "Streaming" section:

"
UltraViolet Account

Accounts may have up to six account users ("Members"), each with their own defined usernames and passwords. Use of UltraViolet is subject to Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

UltraViolet Rights

When an Account Member adds an UltraViolet title to the Account's Collection, the record of this title does not expire and will remain in the Collection unless an Account Member deletes it, or if the Account is terminated by a Member. Registering a title in the Account's Collection enables Account Members to make use of UltraViolet Rights, which include: (a) certain rights and capabilities which Account Members will always receive at no extra charge beyond original purchase price for the related content (see below); (b) certain privileges and capabilities which participating UltraViolet Retailers and Streaming Services may choose at their option to provide at no charge; and (c) additional privileges and capabilities which may be offered by UltraViolet Retailers and Streaming Services with service charges, subscription fees or other costs associated with them.

Streaming

UltraViolet Rights include streaming from the selling UltraViolet Retailer, at no extra charge above the original content purchase price, for at least one year after purchase. This no-extra-charge streaming will be offered to specific apps/devices, and via streaming means, to be determined by the selling UltraViolet Retailer. Streaming of a given title from the selling UltraViolet Retailer more than a year after its purchase, or at any time via Streaming Services other than the selling UltraViolet Retailer, may incur fees and if so any such fees would be presented to the consumer in advance of streaming titles, with the consumer having the option to accept the fees or not use that Streaming Service. Members of an Account may stream up to three titles at the same time. Streaming availability may be subject to territorial restrictions if an Account Member is seeking to stream in a territory that is different from where content was purchased. Streaming availability may also be subject to restrictions that exist for certain periods of time, for certain titles.

Downloads

Titles that come with UltraViolet Rights may be offered by the selling UltraViolet Retailer with certain rights to download files. In this circumstance, the number and type of devices to which downloads are permitted may vary by retailer and title. Additionally, UltraViolet retailers may offer Account Members the chance to download files associated with titles they have purchased from other UltraViolet Retailers, based on confirming the Account's UltraViolet Right to that title that is registered in the Collection.

Physical copy option

When consumers make online purchases of UltraViolet-enabled content for digital use (i.e. not buying a disc via e-commerce, but rather buying download/streaming rights), they may also be offered the opportunity to buy a version of that UltraViolet-enabled title that allows them to have a single physical-media copy (e.g. the title copied onto a DVD or flash memory). Whether this option is available, and the details of how it works to obtain this copy, may vary by retailer and by title. If the consumer chooses to purchase a version of an UltraViolet-enabled title that does include this option for a physical media copy, they will have one year from the date of purchase during which the selling UltraViolet Retailer must facilitate them obtaining the copy, at no charge above the original content purchase price."

http://www.uvvu.com/uv-offer-details.php

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:34:57 PM PDT
That's where I was getting my info.

Lets just say that someone doesnt back up their data because hey, its got streaming and is promoted as a cloud based digital locker, then a few years later they need to re-access the content. The companies reserve the right to charge for future access.

It doesnt matter whether some people like UV or not, what matters is that WB and a couple other companies are charging more money for films that come with digital copies, and not giving consumers the option to choose the type of digital copy, or to buy the film without it. Frequently movies that have digital copies start off with a price noticibly higher than the ones that dont include it.

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 3:47:22 PM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
"Frequently movies that have digital copies start off with a price noticibly higher than the ones that dont include it."

Not in the UK.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 4:35:42 PM PDT
I Don't Know says:
Yep, if I wanted to watch the movie on my computer I would have put in the DVD, and to pay extra for it is ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 10:59:36 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
All these "digital copy" things stink (a ridiculous name since DVD and Blu Ray are obviously "digital copies")...but so long as I'm getting a DVD and a Blu Ray I'm perfectly happy, can run it on about anything :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 6:32:11 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
Ok, we can call them "Non-Physical Copies" :) would that clear up any logic issues. And +1 on the as long as i am getting dvd or blu ray.... If MS or Sony go Non Physical Copy only i think it will bite them hard in the long run.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 9:32:52 AM PST
roybridge says:
There are a lot of disgruntled UV "customers" all experiencing issues. Can I suggest adding your voice to the facebook page "UltraViolet Sucks"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 9:37:25 AM PST
roybridge says:
This is already hitting a problem in the form of Cinavia protection. Devices made from 2012 onwards are now required to add Cinavia detection. Cinavia adds a digital watermark to the audio stream of a movie. That means that you can no longer make backups of discs [with Cinavia] and then stream them to devices such as a PS3, because after 20 or so minutes a warning appears, and the audio gets muted.

Some pre-2012 Blu-Ray players get Cinavia detection enabled with firmware upgrades, so beware

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 9:38:31 AM PST
roybridge says:
This will not bypass the Cinavia protection that is appearing on more and more discs and devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 9:39:27 AM PST
roybridge says:
You could join the Facebook group "UltraViolet Sucks" and join the growing group of disgruntled customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 10:45:40 AM PST
The Kurtster says:
Or the Facebook page "Stop Ultraviolet Streaming". Like 'em both!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 10:52:58 AM PST
sure, be my guest!

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 10:55:39 AM PST
Sudeley says:
They need to scrap UV and just put it in Divx format so its easily played by pc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 2:43:20 PM PST
The Kurtster says:
iTunes files play just fine on a PC. I use them all the time on mine and they were the standard free version combined with Blu-ray until this UV scheme came along.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:02:34 PM PST
I refuse to buy any WB movies anymore except as a digital copy. I take pleasure that WB is getting a smaller cut and has to share with Apple. If more customers boycotted ALL WB BR disks until they went back to an industry standard, they would. There is too much money at stake for them to not surrender to the demands of consumers. The only reason the studios do this is greed so that they can fragment the digital market and drive people back to the media they can control, Blu-Ray. PUNISH THEM WITH A BOYCOTT!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 3:14:04 PM PST
Sudeley says:
Would not work for me i dont use anything with a "I" in it specially the software. So a avi, mkv, mp4 file on a disc would work for me.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 5:37:17 PM PST
bart927 says:
"avi" has an "I" in it...lol...
Anywho, I am practicing what Wayne stated... I have not, and continue to, NOT purchase anything that comes with UV.

First, Warner Bros. helped me with patience with their 28/56 day release dates on rentals... then, Warner Bros. has continued by helping curb my buying habit with this UV thing. (Yea, I don't like it.. and I'm allowed to have an opinion to NOT like it.... I tried it, didn't care for it, so I'm not going to use it again.) That started with the original release of Green Lantern. (one of the first UV releases.)

They're the unofficial sponsor to my movie collecting addiction. Thanks, WB! *sarcasm*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 5:45:22 PM PST
Joe Nirruc says:
To all who hate WB/UV There is a class action lawsuit in the works. :) more to come soon!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:36:04 AM PST
Doug Waltz says:
I remember those "Green Lantern salad days" (pun intended), that's when i first got into this thread. What i still don't get, almost a year after UV first appeared, if companies such as WB and Sony truly believe in UV as superior, why not offer us both UV and iTunes and let the public decide democratically?
I just bought "Dredd" on blu ray last week from Lions Gate...all i can say is THANK YOU LIONS GATE!! Canadians once again showing us Americans how to treat customers. They gave me not only both UV and iTunes, but the iTunes extras which have most of the features you get on blu ray PLUS the iTunes copy was HD!!! Very nice surprise. And i thought, this is how it should be..give us customers (the ones who are PAYING) the options and let us decide...seems so simple, yet smarter men than I can't seem to embrace this concept.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:26:28 AM PST
The Kurtster says:
Doug, you are absolutely correct. They should be offering a choice. The reason they don't offer both is because they want to take control away from Apple, plain and simple. This is a power play.

The studios have the full backing and support of Apple haters (mostly Android users) who don't give a crap about iTunes users and the investment we've made in an existing, thriving ecosystem. If you don't fight to get an iTunes code as an alternative to the UV version, they will force you to use a system you didn't ask for and don't want, just to get the bonus Digital Copy included with the disc.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  69
Total posts:  179
Initial post:  Oct 14, 2011
Latest post:  May 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions