Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2012 9:56:58 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Avatar (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray/ DVD Combo Pack)

Yay! We can all finally see FernGully in 3D without buying Panasonic!

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 5:10:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 8:55:48 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I assume it will be the same 3D transfer, but a year ago I bought my uncle a 3D Panasonic Blu-ray player for Christmas simply to get Avatar on 3D. I'm just disapointed that it isn't the extended version of the film. After watching that, I can't go back to the theatrical version.

It is a great movie to show off your 3D HDTV setup, but there are other movies in 3D which are better.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:29:05 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Sorry, but the 3D in avatar is pretty weak. Here is a list of great movies to show off that 3D system and have your friends/family asking for more:

Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray 3D]
Hugo (Three-disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)
Immortals (3D/ Blu-ray + Digital Copy)

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 8:39:33 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
So far the best movies in 3D that I have seen are Titanic and Prometheus. Hugo and Resident Evil: Afterlife were also very good.

I was not too impressed with Avatar, it was decent, but their are better.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 8:46:15 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Anyone else have some suggestions for great 3D on blu?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 10:07:26 AM PDT
Elder Dave says:
I have many, but some of the most impressive crystal clarity can be found on "Imax Deep Sea 3-D". I got over looking for being poked in the eye long ago or having things thrown at me (not that that's not fun in the right film), but about mid way through this short film, a potato cod turns slowly and winds up nose to nose with you. Also, "Imax Space Station 3-D" has some great 3-D footage.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 12:09:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 1:03:54 PM PDT
How about the new and improved JAWS 3D!!! Why that darn Shark literally JUMPS right out of the water and eats you ^UP alive!!! winks*

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jaws+blu+ray+3d&sprefix=jaws+blu%2Caps%2C363

The Nightmare Before Christmas (Three-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy)

Can you imagine ^this film in 3D???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NDsfUANcws&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 1:28:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 1:30:38 PM PDT
Hey PT...I noticed that you have HOCUS POCUS on Blu ray... *jealous*....I love that film!!!...Is it even more majickal to watch???...

I usually can't truthfully tell the difference `tween DVD and BR

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 1:29:36 PM PDT
paper tiger says:
Haha, yeah, I actually just watched it last night. My wife likes to watch it at halloween time, and if I'm going to watch it, I want it in HD. Looked pretty decent.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 1:33:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 1:51:56 PM PDT
Hahahah....I'm pretty partial to that film myself....

<whispers>...They filmed most of it here in Salem...The School is actually an apartment building...The walk along The Commons looks exactly like that this time of year with the Big Ol Sugar Maples in glorious full orange fall color display!!!...lol...And the Hocus Pocus house is actually privately owned with witches flying out of the cupola!!! jk

I'll definitely have to check out the "new and improved" HP!

Happy All Hallows Eve!!! winks*

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 7:31:03 AM PDT
M. Stifler says:
There's a lot of trolling going on in this discussion.....

For the consumers reading this thread actually interested in buying Avatar 3D, the picture quality of the 3D is stunning. It has yet to be topped. If you have seen the movie and liked it, buy it. If you didn't like it, no one is forcing you to buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 7:52:53 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
I have not seen The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D. Is it really good?

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 7:56:21 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Yes! I have it and I think it looks great. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Three-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy) is a great movie to watch this time of year and Disney did a great job of bringing it to Blu-ray!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 7:58:53 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
I have it on Blu, but not in 3D. I agree it looks great in blu!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 8:07:48 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 8:08:50 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Well, hello there little lady, it has been a while. I hope all is well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 8:10:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 8:13:59 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 8:27:24 AM PDT
M. Stifler says:
No conniption here. Just seems like the infamous Avatar "internet trolls" have posted what they needed to. That's why I thought I would add my input. Didn't want people who have not seen this movie to be turned off by trolls. (I'm not saying everyone is a troll, people have their own opinions of the movie)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 8:29:04 AM PDT
M. Stifler says:
Prometheus looked excellant, but during the dark scenes there was some ghosting. Definitely not as strong as the 3D in lit scenes.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 8:53:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 8:56:30 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Reading though this discussion I can't really see anyone or any statement seeming "trollish".

I have the original Avatar Blu-ray 3D which I received from a Panasonic Blu-ray player purchase and honestly I felt it was a little jolty and inconsistant. I watched it with a few friends and they all said the same thing. Again, so far Titanic looks the best that I have ever seen in home Blu-ray 3D. I also think Hugo, Prometheus and The Adventures of Tin Tin also look quite good. Avatar in 3D does look great, however I do not put it up there as something which I demo 3D to for my friends. For that I would use Titanic, Hugo or Resident Evil: Afterlife.

Again, this is just my opinion. I am not trying to shy away anyone thinking of purchasing Avatar in 3D.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 9:35:03 AM PDT
M. Stifler says:
From Oskar:

"Yay! We can all finally see FernGully in 3D without buying Panasonic!"
"Sorry, but the 3D in avatar is pretty weak."

I was trying to point out the trollish activities of Oskar. I know he's not completely troll, but he does tend to do some trollish things from time to time. (those statements being an example)

There's a reason almost every credited reviewer has Avatar on the top of their 3D list, because it is at the top. Are you watching the 3D on an active or passive 3DTV? I'm on active with all Panasonic gear (PS3 blu-ray) so that could be a difference.

Also, did you see the movie in theater 3d? If so, did you have the same opinion.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:41:44 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
M. Stifler,
Yeah, I guess I can see what you mean about Oskar's comment.

I did not see Avatar 3D in theaters, just on my home setup. I have a Sony 55" LED LCD 3D HDTV, active shutter. Passive is half the resolution, so with Active we'll get an over-all better quality picture. I also have a newer stand alone Sony 3D Blu-ray player.

I'll have to toss Avatar in again, however I put in a few 3D movies to show off my 3D setup to my friends and Avatar simply didn't have the pop that Resident Evil Afterlife had.

It is a great movie thought and I like to watch it in 3D, but honestly I like the Extended Cut of the movie so much more that I rarely watch the theatrical cut, 3D or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 11:10:19 AM PDT
M. Stifler says:
It could have something to do with the fact that my TV is plasma as well. I've read 3D is better on plasma, but I haven't watched something on a 3D LCD yet.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 11:23:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 11:48:43 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I have also heard that 3D is better on plasma HDTV's.

My TV is great for 3D, watching Titanic, RE: Afterlife, and others I was blown away. So my 3DTV is quite nice, the better of the Sony's out there, however it was Avatar inparticular which just didn't look as good as other 3D Blu-rays I have. But it is a decent 3D movie presentation, though I should take another look at it as it's been a while since I first watched it in 3D, and everyone else keeps raving about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 12:57:19 PM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions