Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

UV Digital Copy Hate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 352 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 17, 2012 3:44:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2012 3:50:29 PM PDT
bart927 says:
This is how one sided these discussions are... If you don't like the persons opinions, you gang up and have them deleted. That's Hilarious.
All the PSA's about bullying, have no effect on the forums.

What's funnier is the fact that people are so eager to follow the "newest thing, they don't read all the information available on the product.
A. Hunt says:
"My Blu-ray DVD player, that plays origional DVDs and Blu-ray Discs will not play UV discs!"..There is no mention of anything outside of that statement. We don't know what kind of disc A. Hunt got, ...but we were so eager to get rid of someone who don't like UV, noone bothered to try and help them.
Here's the facts that are forgotten: You can actually purchase UV copies of movies without buying a blu or any other kind of disc.
The "FAQs" on the subject are so vague, it could mean anything.

and @ AM, I'm sorry you are that bored that you need to insult people, especially ones that don't agree with you... and FYI it's called doing research.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 4:01:26 PM PDT
C.J. Roebuck says:
Brian, no one is saying you cant buy a UV code from someone. If you do, its not a disc and you obviously know that you have to redeem it for access to the movie. A. Hunt is saying his player cant play UV discs, of course not because there are no "UV discs" yet. It may be some time before this is implemented or it may just be a download then burn to bluray or possibly a button to order a barebones bluray disc of just the movie like you would get from a rental store. Also someone did try to help him, he asked a vague question so a response based on assumption was given based on the info he gave. Relax.

By the way people are not eager for the newest thing, people are eager for the option and added functionality of their devices without buying a new one. Now people who have android smartphones and no iphone, laptops without itunes, bluray players and no apple tv, htpc and no server, roku 2 and no htpc can enjoy their movies and finally use a "digital copy".

Also when you have a group, you can save money by members taking turns buying movies since UV can be shared. Now if its a big movie that deserves a bluray purchase like Dark Knight Rises then thats another story where i would want my own physical 1080P HD audio copy.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 5:19:40 PM PDT
A M says:
"FYI it's called doing research."

Normal people do research on things they care about and love and are interested in. Socially malformed people do research on things they hate.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 4:43:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2012 4:51:23 AM PDT
bart927 says:
again...@ AM, I'm Sorry that you are so bored, that you need to insult me... but that's usually the response you get from people who have no useful information... and I'm also sorry that you are so closed minded that you ONLY research certain things.

Now hurry and have your bully friends delete more posts so you can think you "won".

which proves I must be onto something, that you don't want people to see, for the need to get rid of my posts.

or certain people work for UltraViolet and don't want the negative info out.

"Normal"...that's funny.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 6:05:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2012 9:19:30 AM PDT
UV is the "Google+" of digital copies, it's the second tier system that a few hardcore hipsters swear by but that no one really uses or wants to use. I have a few UV movies downloaded to my PC, but they're not as "user-friendly" as iTunes digital copies. I can stream my iTunes stuff across multiple platforms with ease. UV copies...not so much.

In this day and age it's all about convenience. I don't want to have 56 accounts just to watch a movie. Why put myself through all the trouble when iTunes makes it so easy?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 6:31:54 AM PDT
C.J. Roebuck says:
Whoa, i'm no hipster but i do own 3 macbook pros and a time capsule. I owned 5 bluray movies with itunes digital copies for about 2 years and never redeemed them because i didnt want to download movies to my laptop, which i rarely take outside.

Since UV came along i now have over 100 UV copies that i do/can use without keeping them locked on my laptop and my family can view them as well in another state without them having my user name and password. Do that with your itunes copy.

I know your just joking about the 56 accounts but when you say that people may actually believe it. At most you may have 6 accounts but its becoming soo much easier now that you can redeem most movies through either Flixster or Vudu. I havent created an account for a movie since May, I think i only have 3 studio accounts plus my Vudu.

You guys sound like the people who said "why do we need AAC audio, mp3 works just fine". Sure, UV can be Google+, but not everything thats popular is the best choice. How many songs on the Top 20 do you actually like? Just be happy there's choice itunes copy is not going away and bluray discs are not least not in the immediate future. If it does then there will be something better for everyone to use their 4K tvs for.

Stop getting flustered over bonus gifts, if you dont want it then give it away. Alot of movies offer this ability, UV and itunes/Amazon. You can redeem or give away the UV and still redeem/give the itunes copy.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 6:38:26 AM PDT
I have tried to get into this but there needs to be a universal way of backing up dvd/br discs just like cd. I can take any cd and rip it in mp3 so I can play/stream it on any device I want. With movies they are not even 1080p first off. I always do the iTunes copy first as some won't let you do both. I always backup my iTunes folder too because with the various methods for WMP, even if you back up they won't play with out the license. You have to call/email beg for another one. This happens if you get a bigger HDD, recover, new PC, etc. There needs to be a UN&PW so you can redownload when ever you need. Even with iTunes, some of those DC won't show up in your purchased tab for some reason. Lose your BU and your screwed again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 9:18:09 AM PDT
I guess I'm a little different than your average movie buyer. I buy the movies for the digital copies and then sell the physical copies on eBay. I only physically own about 10 movies (5 DVD's and 5 Blu-Rays) and those are my top favorites of all-time. Other than that, I'm all iTunes (and a few UV). But, now when I go to buy a movie if the digital copy isn't compatible with iTunes then it's a pass. Like I said, I want convenience. When my wife and I watch a movie on a Friday night there's nothing easier than firing up the Apple TV and having all our movies right there. UV isn't that easy. Now, if they find a way to streamline it then I'm all for that, but for the time being iTunes is king (and king for a reason: convenience).

Also, 6 accounts is 5 too many.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 9:32:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 5:54:30 PM PST
C.J. Roebuck says:
I can understand that, and for me firing up the ps3 and loading Vudu is easy and convenient. If I buy a disc that doesn't have a uv copy then I just rip it to my home server and play it via my htpc connected to tv and then toss the retail package in the closet for safe keeping. Oddly, i would rather watch the full rip than playback via the disc.

when I do have the uv copy I don't rip it. I just watch the disc then every other viewing would be through Vudu unless its a heavy action movie. Before uv I would have to rip every movie since I didn't have an apple tv.

question, do all movies played back via apple tv stream play in hd?

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 11:02:38 AM PDT
A M says:
"Why put myself through all the trouble when iTunes makes it so easy?"

iTunes makes it easy if you pay a premium for Apple devices, otherwise you are left out in the cold. I have an Apple laptop. But I own an Android phone and tablet. Currently, Android massively outsells iPhones. Should the studios not try to offer a product for them? That just doesn't make business sense.

"again...@ AM, I'm Sorry that you are so bored, that you need to insult me... but that's usually the response you get from people who have no useful information... and I'm also sorry that you are so closed minded that you ONLY research certain things."

This may be a surprise to you, but I had no part of your post being considered unhelpful. This may also be a surprise to you, but I have never even purchased a UV movie. Nor would I ever. I got a free screener of the last Harry Potter movie on DVD. It came with a UV copy. So I set up an account to redeem it. For setting up an account, they gave me another free movie. Then sometime later, they offered me a second free movie. So I redeemed it. Then they had an offer where if I liked their facebook page, I could get a free movie. So I liked their page, redeemed my movie and then unliked it. Same thing if I tweeted about it. Then they had another offer if I clicked on five movies I wanted to see. Six movies, with no money spent. If they take them away, no skin off my back. Because I just don't care.

I would never buy a UV movie because I don't really use digital copies. I mostly rent movies and watch them on Cable and Netflix. If I buy a movie, the physical copy is easier to deal with and has better PQ. Maybe one day there will be a film I want to see and it is not available for rent on disc or hard to find and I will rent it on UV. But if it is on UV, it will probably also be on Amazon On Demand, Sony Video Unlimited, or Netflix all of which are built into my Blu Ray Player so I can watch it on my HDTV with ease.

I spend my time researching things that interest me and enrich my life and understanding of the world. I don't waste my precious time finding out every little detail about things that enrage me. Life is short. There are much more interesting things out there than the rights to a digital copy. I typically watch a movie once and never again. I usually don't watch them on my phone or tablet or laptop (with rare exceptions).

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 6:26:34 AM PDT
Mark Mcphee says:
I tried to use the UV copy once as I didn't realise at the time of purchasing the blu ray that the digital copy wash't obtainable through iTunes. I can understand that UV is a good idea for Android but why not make the code usable for both. The experience I had with UV was extremely poor, so much so, that 8 months later and I still haven't had a response to several emails. I couldn't get the UV account to link with Flixster and therefore was unable to download my digital copy. I use Apple portable devices and enjoy watching films on them when I am away or at work where using a Blu Ray player isn't an option. I do not use UV at all and prefer to buy Blu Rays with digital copies that I can use with iTunes as that is were my movie library is stored.
WB and Studio canal are now using UV and another format for their digital copies, although Studio Canals doesn't state this on the cover art of some of their blu rays.
WB have been semi smart and offer both UV and Digital Copy for iTunes on some of their blu rays, but not all unfortunately and certainly not some of the big upcoming releases.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:50:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 7:50:40 AM PDT
bart927 says:
I think you mean Universal has been smart, and offers far WB only offers codes if you fight with them and/or they get enough complaints. WB does very little to help their customers, that's why they have an F rating with the BBB.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:57:57 PM PDT
Tech Fan says:
I have no doubt UV has it's advantages over iTunes digital copies, but considering iTunes has been around for a very very long time (and that I have been making iTunes purchases since the first iPod) it's really inconvenient to have two places to go to for movies. I do appreciate that Universal offers the option to redeem iTunes or UV digital copies. I hope the others follow suit and make that option available to customers. Let us decide what how we want to use digital copies, instead of locking us into one format.

Obviously it would be ideal if these digital copies were viewable over all media players, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Seems ridiculous considering I can play a disc on any player regardless of the manufacturer, the same should apply to digital media.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:14:47 PM PST
Why can't you just use vudu if u wanna watch the ultraviolet movie at home? Works fine for me... I thought ultraviolet was going to suck, but atleast I can watch the movie on multiple devices...

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 8:41:49 AM PST
C.J. Roebuck says:
Well people Bestbuy's CinemaNow service is now able to be linked to UV so we have two places to stream movies now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 8:29:30 AM PST
Realize it's been awhile, but just in case...."DVD Fab", $$, &/or "Make MKV" free, for DVD & blu ray conversion

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:54:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 1:02:03 PM PST
Actually that makes 3:

1. Vudu
2. Flixster
3. CinemaNow (still has kinks to workout)

Future services to offer UV also include:

1. Nook Video Service (B&N)
2. RedBox Instant

So if you add it all up, we'll have 5 different services to enable us to watch our movies where/when we want in the near future and not requiring multiple purchases . Too me, that is a huge selling point! Not being locked to one system such as Apple's iTunes. I would expect in the future that Amazon would also support UV Streaming/downloads because they are already part of the DECE. I also hope that Microsoft integrates UV with their Xbox Video service! (Microsoft is already part of the DECE).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:14:29 PM PST
If UV is so great, let it sell itself. Universal has the right idea. With the latest BR I just bought, Universal gave me the option of iTunes and/or VUDU-UV. So I downloaded the iTunes copy, and another copy appeared in my VUDU account. I just want the option. If UV is so good, why force feed it to us?

Another thing is Universal provided the HDX(1080p) version in VUDU. If I buy an HD movie, why do the other studios only give me the SD digital copy? If I watch the movie on my AppleTV through iCloud, I get the HD version. But with the one WB BR I bought, they gave me the SD version of the movie in VUDU and UV

If they want UV to be ubiquitous, why exclude iTunes? If you can't answer that question you are missing the point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:39:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 6:03:28 PM PST
C.J. Roebuck says:
Not everyone can afford iphones, ipads and appletvs.

Well no one is force feeding you anything. ITs a choice, which is what Universal gave you. So i'm confused at the complaint. If you want to talk about force-fed then that was the iTunes digital copy. I know tons of people who buy movies and those DC discs sit in the case and never used, me being one, because they didnt have a way to use them. Desktop with no laptop, smartphone but not an iphone, tablet but not an ipad.

WB on the other hand is very spotty with whether they give you a HD or SD copy. But they do tell you on the back of the packaging that the digital copy is SD so you cant really argue about them giving you a FREE SD copy but you wanting HD when they clearly say its SD.

Not all iTunes copies are HD either so dont even try to use that as an argument. 4 of my 24 iTunes movies allowed an HD copy. SD and HD is up to the studio not UV. I do understand the complaint on this that studios should give an HD copy if you bought an HD disc but at the same time its hard to complain about something FREE.

What is really unfair is that we are being charged a normal retail price or more for a digital copy from iTunes or Vudu as opposed to it being cheaper than a bluray from Amazon.

Also who exactly is "they" when excluding iTunes. If you're referring to studios, thats their right just like it is Apple's right to lock everyone into the iEcosystem. Something else to keep in mind is that not all movies come with digital copies. So if a movie doesnt come with a form of digital copy do you not buy that movie for that reason, if so, this is no different than if a movie doesnt come with an itunes copy...dont buy it. If i like the movie, i will buy it DC or no DC, UV or no UV.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:16:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:42:55 AM PST
My 2 cents:

I just wish when I buy a movie from a company that I am registered with, so they know I bought a movie, I would have the right to watch that movie permanently.

The main movies I buy are for the kids so they can watch them again and again. Those disks are constantly getting scratched and all kinds of sticky. If I give the disk back do I get a new disk? No of course they want to charge me 2xs to watch the movie. It was the same with cds.

I bought an album from itunes. My computer crashed. So I asked to re-download the album. No response. I had the receipt. No question I paid for the music. No dice. Why would they give me the music I paid for, when they can charge me 2xs for it?

I am told I really didn't buy the disk and that is why I can't do whatever I want with it. For example I can't make a copy of it and give it to everyone at work. Ok I just purchased some sort of right to see the movie. ( Or right to listen to the music.) I am fine with that if they would honor the right. But they always want to charge me 2xs for the right. Hard crashed or disk scratched so I have to pay again.

That is really the reason I came to amazon. If I buy a book on audible I can re-download it. If I buy music I can re-download that. Movies could be better but forever streaming and download to 2 devices seems alright.

UV done right can actually be an even better solution. Once I buy a movie the UV policy says the the retailer must allow me to be able to download it at least 3 times (and i can make copies of that download) and stream it as much as I want for at least 1 year. But yeah if I buy a 3d hd version the downloads had better be that quality. I should get what I pay for. But really the fact that they are charging extra for certain formats and not letting you download the other formats is really poor. (E.g.,My kids want to watch lorax in 3d at home. So I buy it in 3d. Now do I have to buy the movie again if we are on the road and they want to watch it on our kindle??)

Really that's all I ask. If I pay for the right to see a movie let me see the movie.

BTW: here is a long faq on ultraviolet:

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:05:48 AM PST
N. Harman says:
I have a load of movies from BD's with Digital Copies in iTunes already. I resent being forced to manage my movie collection in more than 1 place. That's my problem with UV\Flixster. I don't want to the hassle of having to sign up to another website or two and download\install additional apps when iTunes (Or Media Player for the those who prefer the Windows way) does the job and has been doing the job perfectly well.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:32:58 AM PST
A M says:
"I resent being forced to manage my movie collection in more than 1 place."

And I resent having to watch different TV shows on different channels. I don't want the hassle of having to change the channel and remember which shows are on which networks.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:36:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 11:12:25 AM PST
"I resent being forced to manage my movie collection in more than 1 place."

And I resent only being able to use one brand of product (apple). I don't want the option be able to watch my media on products other then Apple's!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:25:49 PM PST
Bourne1886 says:
Yes but if somebody doesn't have Apple products to watch the digital copies on,is that fair. At least UV is flexible and can be watched on more devices. Why should Apple be the only provider? I have an iPad so obviously I like Apple products but they are the most expensive on the market. There is now a lot of choice and that's the way it should be. If somebody buys an Android device for example which can be a lot cheaper why shouldn't they be able to watch the digital copy just like iTunes customers. There is no hassle in adding the Flixster App and watching the UV copy through that. It's just like iTunes for watching movies,it's no different as you can download movies to the ipad and watch them offline.
In short not everybody wants to buy Apple products. Saying you resent being forced to manage your movies in more than one place is so immature of you. Grow up. If it means that much to you buy the movie you want off of iTunes to start off with then you wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over nothing!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:41:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 12:42:25 PM PST
^^ Great Post!

I'm Pro UV, but with that being said, I think that anyone that wants to support a proprietary distribution method is crazy!!! Standards prevent being locked to one platform, such as iTunes, xbox video, google play and etc. UV is the standard being created to solve this issue! Heck, if it turns into a standard, I would think Apple would hop on board and then you could more then likely use iTunes to download and stream your movies like you already do.

I personally used to be a big advocate of iTunes, but that was when I was heavily using Apple products. However, I don't own any apple products anymore. When I did though, I had the iPhone, iPad, 2 Mac's, AppleTV and a Airport Extreme.

So personally, I hope UV is successful and becomes the new standard for digital copies! This way everyone can enjoy it and not be dependent on any particular company product. And of course we'll still be able to rip our blu-ray's for DRM free enjoyment!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  116
Total posts:  352
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions