Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Cloud Atlas: Worth a blind buy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012 9:52:10 AM PST
Meatwad says:
I've been slightly arguing with myself on whether or not I should snag Atlas when it comes or rent it. I really want to see it but I can't seem to make up my mind. Help?

Also, if anybody finds the special features details, it would be appreciated if you would post them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:02:08 PM PST
Are you a gambler? Did you read the book? I debated seeing it at the theater and finally made up my mind to go out of my way even though I had a busy schedule that week. I am so glad I did as it was one of the most fascinating films I've seen in a very long time. Was it the best? Maybe not. I didn't care for the new-age focus on reincarnation and the power of love to conquer all. That aside, it was still a great, great film.
Should you get it? That's a tough call as this is very much a LOVE LOVE LOVE IT or HATE HATE HATE IT type film. If you enjoy something different (and maybe something that needs multiple viewings) or if you are a cinephile that enjoys technically interesting films, then I think "Cloud Atlas" is more than worth a try. The editing and links between the scenes are incredible! If, on the other hand, you are the type that won't enjoy a movie if you aren't always sure what's going on or don't have the time for something that needs a good deal of concentration while watching, then this film probably isn't for you.

In the long run though, I have encouraged most of my friends to give it a try. Films that work outside the box have a lot more trouble getting made in today's economy and I think a work like this deserves to be rewarded with our support. Besides, the Blu-ray will usually be about $20-$24 when it first comes out which is probably much less than it would have cost to take a date out to eat and see the movie.

I think "Cloud Atlas" is a great film worth multiple viewings.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 2:20:00 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:09:08 PM PST
Meatwad says:
As a response to the first two questions you ask: You could say that and no, I've never read the book.

I'm definitely in the former in regards to what kind of films I watch. Thanks for the insight!

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:31:29 PM PST
Elder Dave says:
@C. Golden

I thought that you might like to read this (if you haven't already). Roger Ebert is, IMHO, the best critic for this kind of film--actually, I like him for just about all genres.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121024/REVIEWS/121029991

You may find value in his analysis. Enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:48:04 AM PST
Meatwad says:
Read his review a while back, which makes me want to see it even more. Big ol' fan of Ebert right here as well.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:57:43 AM PST
A M says:
Here's a novel idea. Why don't you go see it in a theater? If you like it - then buy it. If you hate it, then try to forget it. Why wait for the video release. It is in theaters right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:14:13 AM PST
Meatwad says:
There was only one theater playing it and at the time, I couldn't see it at the time. And then it went poof. So, yeah. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:26:34 AM PST
True Lies and The Abyss are probably my two most-anticipated Blu-ray releases. Unfortunately, I don't think either will be coming out anytime soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:36:22 AM PST
A M says:
Oh, wow. I just looked it up on Flixster and saw that it is only playing in one theater in the Los Angeles area. Didn't realize it went away that quickly.

Well, now I am going to be a bragging jerk.... But I got a screener DVD of it. But I don't know if I am gonna watch it. I was not a fan of the Matrix trilogy and think that i will fall into the "HATE IT" camp.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:50:33 AM PST
Meatwad says:
If you give it a whirl, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:03:06 AM PST
Georgedc says:
Yes!

YES IT IS!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:41:42 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 28, 2012 9:41:54 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 4:55:58 PM PST
A M says:
@C. Golden

The film isn't as bad as I expected. My suggestion. Check the novel out of the library. If you like it, then buy the film.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions