Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Amazon now Charging Tax!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 740 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 1, 2012 4:55:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2013 5:23:22 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I live in PA, and to my supprise Amazon just started taxing me this morning. I'm not sure what states Amazon is taxing now, but boy this is a disapointment as that is one of my main buying features that I liked here on Amazon. Tax really adds up, especially for electronics.

I understand Amazon had no choice in this, it was the state I currently live in.

Buying from a 3rd party seller on Amazon won't tax you, unless it is shipping from your state, then it may be taxed. Also it seems like clothes don't get taxed when purchasing direct from Amazon.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 6:37:37 AM PDT
K. A. Jones says:
I feel your pain. We're here in Tennessee and they're about to open a distribution center so that means we're about to get it also. Our problem since we don't have a income tax (and we don't want one) is goods are taxed around 9%. One or two movies is one thing but items like video games; that's about $5.00 right there and by todays economy that's a lot to us. I'm just glad we bought our TV earlier this year thru Amazon.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 6:58:08 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Yes, the more costly items will be an issue. But I will continue to purchase my Blu-ray's and little things here and there, but the larger items I may take a trip to Best Buy.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 7:54:00 AM PDT
Leon Dang says:
I live in TX, and I have to pay tax (8.25%) whenever I purchase something from Amazon.com LLC and Warehouse Deals, Inc, however, I did buy something from other sellers, but no tax occurred when I placed my orders.

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:
Kansas
Kentucky
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Texas
Washington

No sales tax is charged when purchasing gift cards; however, purchases paid for with gift cards may be subject to tax.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 8:00:56 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Yeah, I will need to be careful with my purchasing. I buy something from Amazon just about every day and today was the first time I noticed the tax here in PA. Very disapointing as I have been purchasing from Amazon for over 15 years with no tax. You don't really think about it, but that is a HUGE benefit.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 10:44:59 AM PDT
Elder Dave says:
I live in Washington, and Amazon has been collecting tax right along. I still do a lot of buying through Amazon, but much of it is through affiliates who do not charge tax. I don't find the tax too onerous when I get it from Amazon proper; I usually buy more than $25 worth and don't get charged for shipping. At least there's that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 10:52:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 10:58:24 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
So if I buy something through Amazon using a 3rd party who is in another state, I don't get taxed?

***edit, I just bought something through a 3rd party and was not taxed, because it was out of state. Yay! I may be doing some more 3rd party shopping.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 7:49:56 PM PDT
Enjoy it while it lasts. I bet third party sellers will catch on to this soon enough and compensate it with their pricing. You also need to be careful with shipping costs.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 6:20:56 AM PDT
J. Romeo says:
Fine, Amazon is now charging tax. Don't go blaming them for something they did not do. States have been fighting to charge online retailers tax for a very long time. The recession and economic mess we are in sped things up. Tax will not keep me from shopping Amazon. The things I get are cheaper than any retail store. My home state has one of the highest taxes in the country, but even adding it onto Amazon purchases it will still be cheaper than a box store. Some of the best reasons to keep shopping Amazon- Everything is delivered to my doorstep and I don't have to deal with anyone at stores.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 6:27:12 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Yes, I was not saying anything bad about Amazon, they had nothing to do with the tax. I have always used Amazon for everything, and I will continue to, but I was simply saying that being taxed now may make me think twice about a few of my purchases.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 2:09:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2012 2:09:43 PM PDT
Elder Dave says:
Tiger, it can really make a difference. While I buy generally small stuff through Amazon, I bought my 3-D TV and Oppo from other sellers, neither of whom charged tax or shipping. The total savings (the price of the items was the same) amounted to more than $ 200.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 9:40:16 PM PDT
M. Lee says:
The Best Buy's in Fort Worth, TX price match items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.com.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 10:13:02 PM PDT
G. Recipient says:
yes,i was charged $10 tax on my order this morning.
that really brings the cost of feeding my pets up.
I am going to have to find some place else to shop now.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 5:45:57 AM PDT
MikeT says:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2012/07/26/sweeping-online-sales-tax-fast-approaching/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204012004577070191865973750.html

http://moneyland.time.com/2011/11/11/amazon-supports-a-bill-forcing-online-shoppers-to-pay-sales-tax/

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:04:16 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
Amazon isn't charging tax, they are collecting it. That's a big difference. In most states, one is supposed to declare their online purchases when filing yearly taxes--but many don't. Hence the reason why more states are enacting laws requiring online retailers, like amazon, to collect state taxes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 7:07:41 AM PDT
G. Recipient says:
I know what you mean-that extra $5 ---$10 really hurts.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 8:52:04 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Just an update, I had a movie pre-ordered from a couple months ago and when it shipped I was charged tax. So no matter if it is pre-ordered and it currently doesn't show tax, it will be charged when your order ships.

Really ticks me off.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 9:01:09 AM PDT
paper tiger - when tax was about to become a charge in Texas, I reached out to Amazon support to ask about pre-orders. It makes sense that they add tax to your pre-orders, because basically, if they weren't going to, I would have pre-ordered every movie and video game I wanted to purchase for as far into the future as I could before the taxation began... and it would have come at no cost to me since they dont charge until the item ships. I could have canceled any of them at any time (before shipping) if I changed my mind, was low on funds, etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:46:30 PM PDT
Slayerguy79 says:
I'm not sure what your respective sales tax rates are, but I believe people are making a mountain out of a mole hill on the Amazon sales tax issue. The fact is you are probably talking about pennies on the dollar. Amazon has the largest selection of items and largest selection of in-stock items anywhere. You are supposed to report these taxes regardless if Amazon charges them or not. By making a big deal, you are admitting to everyone publicly that you do not pay these taxes. This is also known as tax evasion. Anyway, tax or no, Amazon has the best deal around probably 99% of the time. Is that something to complain about?

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 5:05:57 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I'm not bashing Amazon, I love Amazon and have been using them for a very long time. One example is, as others have stated, if we would now make a large purchase of an HDTV or something, it would be a hundred or so bucks more due to now being taxed. Yes, we knew this was coming and we cannot expect to not pay tax forever, however when you are so used to makeing tax free purchases, the tax does add up.

And yes, Amazon usually has the best deals around and now being taxed is not a deal breaker, it is just something which will make me second guess my larger purchases.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 7:41:05 AM PDT
Rainman208 says:
I live in GA and the politicians here have been chomping at the bit as well to start charging online retailers state tax. I don't think they were able to get a bill passed during this years legislative session but I'm sure when the next session starts it will be near the top of their list.

The online retailers don't really have anyone fighting for them in these state legislatures so it's basically the local B&M stores in the states using and complaining to the politicians to impliment the tax on online retailers to "level the playing field".

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 4:29:24 AM PDT
MikeT says:
State sales/use/excise Tax evasion? You bet! Every chance I get! I do so for online purchases, buying cigs & booze out of state, etc... I just recently "evaded" state taxes on 50 cartons of cigs, while supporting our nearby native Americans, saving me $1,500. If the state wants it they can come get it from me. :)

For the online purchases I don't give a hoot if a retailer charges tax or not, I only care about paying the least amount total for a specific desired product. Same with shipping/handling charges. If retailer A charges $2 for the item and $8 for shipping, while retailer B charges $12 for the item with free shipping, I'll select retailer A.

Bottom line is the overall out of pocket cost to me. If that means the state loses out, so be it.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 3:42:15 PM PDT
I'm glad to see State tax added to the purchase. My State pension is on the chopping block and needs all of the life-support it can get.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 9:44:05 PM PDT
P. R. Blay says:
All the states you listed have a distribution center located there.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 3:50:50 PM PDT
You forgot California which Amazon will start collecting sales taxes from starting 15 September.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  271
Total posts:  740
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  12 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions