Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Has anyone who bought the Alien Anthology Blu had a really bad picture on the ALIENS movie?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 8:19:59 PM PST
R. Logan says:
Alien Anthology [Blu-ray]

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:34:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 11:04:25 PM PST
warrian says:
Aliens looks a little different than the others in the series in that it was shot using spherical lenses and not in anamorphic Panavison, thus the less panoramic aspect ratio of 1.85:1. It was also shot on what was later decided to be pretty undesirable film stock. The film was de-grained using quite a bit of DNR but instead of leaving it waxy and lacking detail, the grain structure was then painstakingly re-created artificially and added back to the 4K master on the box set. In my opinion, Aliens looks much better than it ever has on blu ray. Likely better than it did when originally exhibited in theaters in 1986.

Perhaps if you could describe what you are experiencing in more detail, people on the forum could better address your question.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:57:46 PM PST
I wish I could vote 10 times. Awesome response.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 7:48:11 PM PST
Peter Stumpf says:
I agree with warrian that Aliens looks better than it ever has. I saw it in the theater three times back in 1986, and have owned nearly every single VHS, laserdisc and DVD variation that preceded the Alien Anthology blu-ray set. The blu-ray transfer blows every previous version out of the water, hands down!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 8:01:22 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
"In my opinion, Aliens looks much better than it ever has on blu ray. Likely better than it did when originally exhibited in theaters in 1986."

Agreed. I think it's the best looking movie on the set.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 7:24:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 8:37:29 PM PST
It would certainly help if you explained what you mean by "really bad picture".
I just bought the set at my local walmart last week for 30 bucks (that's 7.50 per feature, or 5 per disc). I agree with the other posts. Aliens looks better than the laserdisc and dvd I've owned.

Stay frosty.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 6:07:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 8:42:08 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
It's possible the OP was reacting to the very difference in the PQ between Aliens and the other films that Warrian described and was surprised or disappointed that the film didn't look just like the others. Warrian's excellent explanation of the situation may have satisfied him and that's why he hasn't been back.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions