Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Warner Bros Sucks!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 179 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2011 10:22:11 PM PDT
Green Lantern (Three-Disc Combo: Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD / UltraViolet Digital Copy)

Anyone who bought this tried to use the digital copy but failed?
I have been trying to watch the digital movie using the assigned flixster player after finishing downloading the film. Actually I tried twice but all failed. Warner Bros sucks! It should make the process simpler and make the iTune or Media Player do the job.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 10:43:13 PM PDT
JSP89 says:
I Agree! this ultraviolet stuff is crap

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 8:34:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2011 8:35:56 AM PDT
I purchased Green Lantern with digital copy on Fri 10/14 and excitedly came home to download the dc for iTunes and my iPad. However, I quickly realized that I had to create accounts with Flixster and Ultraviolet and download and install software on my PC just to get access to the dc that I had purchased. Only to find out I can't actually add the movie to my iTunes libarary so that I can synch it with my iPad and take it with me when I don't have Internet connectivity. I AM SO EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED IN THE PROCESS WARNER BROTHERS HAS CREATED. Forcing people to create new accounts with 2 different services and install software we don't want on our PCs just to get access to the digital copy and not supporting download to our iTunes libary is beyond rediculuous. I've never seen a more convoluted way of delivering digital content. Feels like we've stepped backwards a full decade in modern technology and digital content distribution.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 8:51:52 AM PDT
Zero of One says:
Just do what people have been doing for years before they offered digital copies -- rip the DVD :)

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 9:27:51 AM PDT
P. Marck says:
With UltraViolet technology, you don't download the film any more to your Apple device or etc, it's just streamed.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 9:30:45 AM PDT
B. Siebels says:
I purchased Green Lantern as well hoping to be able to add it to my iTunes library, but not with Ultraviolet Digital Copy. Once again the movie industry is making it more complicated to use content. For me it is pretty useless if it can't be added to iTunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 3:43:59 PM PDT
EdM says:
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Maybe return it because it doesn't work. Maybe get the BD movie only and save $$.
Green Lantern (Movie-Only Edition) [Blu-ray]

Still, this is something that some studios are trying to shove down our throats.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392250,00.asp

"Next month, Warner Bros. will debut Green Lantern, the first Blu-ray disc with an UltraViolet digital copy attached to it. What's UltraViolet? Only the future of digital movie ownership, Hollywood hopes. ..."

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_(system)

So, let the buyer beware; check to see what kind of digital copy is included, if you specifically want digital copy.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 9:19:51 PM PDT
Ron Simmons says:
1st Warner Bros used the Warner Bros digital copy manager for Batman Under The Red Hood & The Justice League Crisis On Inf Earths-Then moved on to Itunes now this lame UltraViolet-Make up your mind or even better give your customers a choice-Hopefully Batman Year one come w a ITunes option...

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 8:05:09 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 12:32:14 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
If you think this is bad, wait 5 or 10 years. Blu-Ray is the last physical medium, so pray it lasts forever. In the not-distant-at-all future, you will buy the right to stream your movie, maybe even stream it a limited amount of times. All of us true blue collectors who take pride in shelf after shelf of DVD/BD cases of our favorite movies will be SOL. Same thing is happening to Video Games, VGs will be all downloaded or streamed as early as the Next Gen consoles, which will be in 2014 at the latest. Hang on to your DVDs/BDs folks because they are on the way out, and in the future we will have nothing but a "cloud".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 12:39:07 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
Lol I've been making my own "Digital Copies" for years, and I am way happier with my DCs than any of the legit DCs. Never had a problem with syncing them, I have complete sagas not just ones they decide to give, I even have tons of TV shows which never have DCs. Needless to say I have to have an enormous amount of HDD space (6.5TB and counting), but I have every DVD in my collection in DC format. How many people do you know that have whole episodes of Three's Company on their phone?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 1:04:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2011 1:06:48 PM PDT
Jack,

We already have game systems that are download only - PsPgo. So, your "2014 at the latest" prediction has already come true and unsuccessfully, I might add. So, I highly doubt the next gen of consoles will try download only. Do you really think the PS4 will drop BD? I do not think so.

However I have to disagree that BD is the last physical media. For the next gens of audio/video hardware, if internet bandwith cannot handle the new formats via streaming, there will HAVE to be some kind of physical media. Internet is still unable to stream 1080p with lossless audio (the best home choice today). When new A/V hardware comes out, content is going to have to be available somewhere other than 2 day downloads.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 7:08:31 PM PDT
K. Burrill, agreed and that's what I've been doing for years. With the advent of Digital Copy, I haven't had to spend as much time ripping, makes life a lot easier. Looks we're going back to ripping since many studios are looking at UV as a future platform. Just as Apple launches iCloud ... oh wait, we wont' be able to put UV digital copy movies on iCloud ... it's a wonderful life!

EdM: had I read up on the Green Lantern movie ahead of time and understood what was going on, I wouldn't have purchased it with Digital Copy in this manner. Once the package is open ... too bad, you own it. Next time I'll read ahead and only go for the DVD + BluRay version if available. Seven Harry Potter movies purchased, all with the digital copy that I can download and put in my iTunes Library. The 8th and final movie will be delivered with a UV digital copy only! Fabulous. Thanks Warner Brothers. Multiple new accounts, software I don't want on my PC, and no way to synch it to my iPad for plane trips (of which I fly 75K miles a year and I'm not paying for GoGo WiFi on planes just to stream a digital copy movie while in flight) ... this is a big set back!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 7:12:09 PM PDT
Bit Torrent that Library ... I'm happy to receive? Wish I could say I had my entire collection in DC. I do a few at a time as I or the kids want them. Only about 80GB right now. I had originally done many of them for my Zune 80GB and now am re-doing them so they look and perform better on my iPad. It's a lot of work ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 7:35:13 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
Indeed it is a lot of work! Took me just about a year to rip everything, and I am never done as I constantly buy new stuff.

I have thought about Torrenting my stuff, but as I figure the FBI will be upset enough with me simply for ripping them. So at least if I'm not giving them away I might see daylight before I die if they ever crack down on me. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 7:51:54 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
I really hope you are right and I am wrong, but all download or streaming seems to be the way things are going, or at least that's the way the movie companies want it, and broadband connections are going to get faster. Maybe not downloads but streaming is trying to take over, the movie companies simply have way more control that way. Hard to make a copy of a movie that is deleted from your computer as you watch it.

As for the PSPgo, it failed more because it couldn't play UMD PSP games that people had been collecting for years before the GO, it was a foolish gamble for Sony, but hey you live you learn. On that same note isn't the PSvita going to be download only? If so it makes more sense since the vita is a brand new system with no back library of games. So from the gate it's download or nothing. Honestly no discs or carts is a good idea as far as portable gaming, I can't tell you how many GB/DS/PSP games I have lost in my travels.

Anyway like I said I hope we will always have a physical media for us to collect, at least for home media, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 10:59:54 AM PDT
M. Dion says:
I simply returned the Green Lantern blu-ray, and cancelled the orders for future discs that included UltraViolet. No more Warner Bros discs for the time being. If enough people stop buying they'll change, if people keep buying, they won't. Simple economics. For a similar related event look up what happened when Sony put a rootkit on their CD's to track what music people were playing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 5:28:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2011 5:29:48 PM PDT
Doug Waltz says:
Totally agree..I made a similar reply on another board....I understand capitalism and WB wanting their little piece of the sky (ie clould technology..pun intended). Warner...you tried with the WB Digital Copy manager...RIP...now Flixter (which claims iTunes support but ONLY in app form..so don't mistakenly think iTunes will play your Ultra Violet copies..they won't). All, we the public want, is one common platform to store our digital material. And guess what, Steve Jobs gave it to us. I'm sorry iTunes beat you to the punch, but they did, and right now they've got the best game in town. Would you please stop putting the public in the middle of these little turf wars. All we've done is loyally support the movies we love. Why do we have to "support" them on multiple platforms?? You want to win back the digital market, do it by building a superior product, not by drawing lines in the sand and making us pick a side. Enough already!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 5:50:38 PM PDT
Well Stated!

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 5:51:10 PM PDT
So, should we forma "Occupy Warner Brothers" sit in?

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 6:22:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2011 6:25:41 PM PDT
Super easy to rip a copy using handbrake for your itunes folder. What's the big deal?
The BD is what's important.

WB deserves a lot of credit for recent restorations like Ben Hur. Good job WB!

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 6:27:38 PM PDT
Not as easy as transferring an already ripped file with great quality. I use Cucusoft, have tried many rip apps. Not crazy about Cucusoft, but I haven't found anything better. Any suggestions? What's Handbrake?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 7:46:17 PM PDT
Jack Pacini says:
I use Magic DVD Ripper. Been pretty happy with it for about 3 years now. Rips into any format you can think of, in varying qualities, and pretty cheap. Around $20 for the program and 2 years of updates, then significantly cheaper for extended update years. Only problem is that I don't know if it rips Blu-Rays, as I don't have a Blu-Ray drive in my PC, yet. Still, no doubt there are programs that will rip Blu-Rays for a comparable price.

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 9:51:28 PM PDT
If they discontinue physical media, people will easily find a way to download copies of the stream to their disc drives. Public will always overpowers the proprietary. Company executives can't pay programmers fast enough to do what hundreds or thousands of people will do for free.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 4:58:21 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  69
Total posts:  179
Initial post:  Oct 14, 2011
Latest post:  May 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions