Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

total recall 2012 blu ray defect

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2012 2:07:03 AM PST
Kerry.b says:
Having bought a copy of Total Recall with colin farrell and kate beckinsale on blu ray,3 disc director's cut and theatrical edition
and watching the movie and then there is a slight pause during towards the end of the film,the audio is out of sync with the dialog and then the movie pauses automatically at this particular scene..
Has anyone in this forum and expericenced this with their copy..
there is a guy from the blu ray.com forum have experienced the same problem with his blu ray copy...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:23:30 AM PST
Roy Zander says:
Mine is crap. Every few minutes the sound cuts out. I've got the Oppo 93 - never had any problem like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 3:54:38 PM PST
Kerry.b says:
i've got a pioneer 7.1 digital reciever and all of my other movies play fine,no problems..but with total recall 2012 the audio drops out and then the dialog is out of sync..i tried playing it on my playstation 3 and i have to update it from the disc and then after watching it the same thing happens..never had any problems like this too..sony pictures home entertainment what have you done!!!! they say try using pcm audio,but i like the DolbyTrueHD audio..maybe it should of been in DTS HD Master instead...
thanks roy zander for your feedback..

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 6:47:57 PM PST
Georgedc says:
defective disks?

Is it a total recall on Total Recall?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 2:46:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 2:53:48 PM PST
Mark Wyant says:
My Onkyo system did the same thing as Roy's. Cutting out every few minutes. I Thought maybe audio sends to much power to all seven channels and amps cut out? My avengers movie in 7.1 sounds great at any volume.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 5:15:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 5:16:34 AM PST
paper tiger says:
I also have a 7.1 Onkyo system however I did not have any playback issues. This seems to be effecting a lot of people with different systems and setups, however I did not have any issues with my Total Recall audio playback.

Really cool movie, I just blind bought and I was very entertained.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:35:38 PM PST
Well I am glad to see that others are having problems with Total Recall 2012 other than myself. At 1 hour and 34 seconds into the movie my Pioneer BDP-62FD Blu-ray player locks up! I went back to the store where I purchased the Blu-ray disc and exchanged it for another only to find out it does the same thing too. I went as far as to upgrade to the more expensive edition of Total Recall 2012 and it also did the same thing as the others. I wondered at first that my player might have a problem but my other Blu-ray's play perfectly. One thing I have not tried andd that is to play the Theatrical Version instead of the Director Extended Version.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 12:30:13 PM PST
MacJunegrand says:
I think the biggest defect from this Blu Ray is that it comes with the Colin Farrell movie instead of the Arnold Schwarzenegger one.

Kidding aside, you should really contact Amazon as soon as you can, for them to issue a replacement. Or maybe try it before on a friend's Blu Ray player to see if there's a chance that it's a compatibility problem from the movie itself, and not just this particular disc, in which case I suggest you ask for a refund.

In any case, happy new year!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 8:43:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 8:44:05 PM PST
C. Barbus says:
I wouldn't return a disc for a replacement just yet. From the sound of it, the problem would be exactly the same on a new disc. Bill Hunt of thedigitalbits.com is looking into the issue for his readers.

To me it sounds like some people may have to update firmware. FYI updating firmware is not because of new standards to Blu-ray, a firmware update is because the manufacturer made a mistake implementing part(s) of the BD requirements in the firmware and needs corrected. So, if this does turn out to be the issue, it is not "blu-ray's" fault, it is your player manufacturer's fault.

Or, the studio may have to issue a corrected disc. If you got the disc from Amazon, you have 30 days to return, or until January 31 as a holiday purchase, which it was if you have the disc at this point.

Hopefully you all will hear soon. I will keep my eyes peeled for news.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 5:28:50 AM PST
i think it is a generally problem, because the european version has excactly the same problems with the sound issue.
they just blew it this time, they have to make a new pressing and release it with the correct sound.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 8:44:55 AM PST
Bob D says:
Just watched the Netflix version last night and no problems.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:03:44 AM PST
I've tried two of these disks on two different systems, both with Onkyo receivers, one with a Panny Blu-ray player, the other with an Oppo 93. Same audio issues on both systems; don't know about the firmware on the Panny, but the Oppo firmware was current. Seems pretty clear to me this is a disc problem, at least in the lots Amazon is shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 4:21:48 PM PST
John Cramer says:
I have the same problem with the TR from Amazon and they replaced it with a new one and the same sound drop out problem. I have an Oppo 93 and an Onkyo and I had six new Blu-rays and all played perfect before and after the Total Recall 2012. My Oppo 93 is also has all firmware up to date and it is connected to the internet. I also have BD Live off.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 4:31:30 PM PST
W. ALLEN says:
I rented Total Recall 2012 in Blu Ray from Redbox and also could not get it to run without freezing up. I rented a second TR 2012 Blu Ray and it also would not run. I cleaned the disk and still had problems. Strange.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 7:34:54 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 8:09:54 PM PST
This is a follow up post on this "total recall 2012 blu ray defect" topic. Some of you have purchased your Total Recall 2012 from AMAZON. I myself bought mine at Walmart. But my comment to all of you that are following this topic is the belief that LIONSGATE may be producing faulty Blu-ray discs could be on the money. I bought "The Cabin in the Woods" also from LIONSGATE and the Blu-ray disc wouldn't even load in my Blu-ray player. I kept receiving an error message that "the format of the disc is not compatible with this machine" We all pay our money for a product and expect it to be of the highest quality.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:11:22 PM PST
warrian says:
Total Recall 2012 was released by SONY not Lionsgate.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:47:06 AM PST
You ar correct Warrian. Sony is the manufacturer. But the point still remains, Total Recall 2012 Blu-ray disc has manufacturing defects.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 11:56:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 11:57:13 AM PST
I have a Sony bd player, and had the same issue. If you go into the player's settings, change the audio to PCM out. It will still be high def audio, it just won't read "dolbyTrueHD on your receiver. Worked for me, and sounds great!

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:15:06 PM PST
A. Steffens says:
Same here...I am hoping it is not a disc issue, but possibly something that will be fixed in a firmware release soon, otherwise the disc is useless the audio is so bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 6:35:00 PM PST
Kerry.b says:
like ya said,playing other movies on blu ray besides total recall works beautifully no problems,and through my playstation 3.but playing total recall 2012,on both my LG 3D blu ray player and PS3 can't..it is definately a manufacturing fault from sony pictures home entertainment..

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 11:17:01 PM PST
Tomtastic says:
All this thing does is SKIP, SKIP SKIP!!! I'm freaking sick of it. I'm taking it back tomorrow. I'm not even going to finish this stupid movie. All the dialog is the same as the 1990 version without Mars, I was hoping for Mars and all I got was skipping and Colin Ferrell.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:11:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 12:12:33 PM PST
C. Barbus says:
Sony has released a statement on the defect, which is with the disc and occurs with several hardware configurations-

"The complex branching on initial shipments of the Blu-ray Disc for Total Recall has caused a few unexpected dropouts in the lossless audio streams during disc play only on select player/receiver combinations. This issue only occurs if the lossless audio is decoded through an audio receiver or home theater system. If the Blu-ray player is connected directly to the TV, or if the lossless audio is set to decode directly through the Blu-ray player, there should be no issue.

SPHE is working with manufacturers on a possible firmware upgrade solution meanwhile, the playback in the affected player combinations can be resolved through a simple fix by changing the player's audio settings to decode directly through the Blu-ray player by changing the settings as outlined below."

PS3 Slim - From PS3 crossbar, go to:

1.Settings
2.Video Settings
3.BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)
4.Change to Linear PCM

Sony BDP-S360 / Sony BDP-S460 / Sony BDP-S560 - From player crossbar, go to:

1.Setup
2.Audio Settings
3.BD Audio Setting
4.Change to Mix

Sony 790 - From player crossbar, go to:

1.Setup
2.Audio Setting
3.BD Audio Mix Setting
4.Change to On

Oppo BDP-83 / Oppo BDP-93

1.Goto Setup
2.Audio Format Setup
3.HDMI Audio
4.Select LPCM

LG 370
1.Goto Setup
2.Audio
3.HDMI
4.Select PCM Multi-Ch

Panasonic BD-35 / Panasonic BD-55
1.Goto Setup
2.Audio
3.Digital Audio Ouput
4.Dolby Digital / Dolby Digital + / Dolby TrueHD
5.Select PCM

Panasonic BD-110
1.Goto Setup
2.Player Settings
3.Audio
4.Digital Audio Ouput
5.Dolby Digital / Dolby Digital + / Dolby TrueHD
6.Select PCM

As you can imagine, those are the specific models of player that seem to be encountering issues. Now then... at the same time we've also heard back from SPHE Customer Support through e-mail inquiries (to: Consumer@SPHECustomerSupport.Sony.comThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) by a number of readers. Here's what they say:

"Sony is reprinting this title without the defects. We will ship you a replacement when we receive the new disks. In order to send you a replacement we do ask that you send us your copy. First we do need the following information:

What is the UPC # under the barcode of the movie case?

Your Name?

Mailing address (No PO Boxes)?

Once we receive this information, we will send you information on how to return your disk to us.

Regards,

SPHE Consumer Affairs - 800-860-2878 - Consumer@SPHECustomerSupport.Sony.comThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. "

So there you go: Sony is attacking the problem from both ends by trying to work with manufacturers to update firmware and by manufacturing replacement discs. If you'd rather not wait for firmware updates, free to use the SPHE contact information above to arrange your own replacement copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:07:48 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I had no problems with it on the theatrical cut. Haven't seen the extended one yet.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 3:27:40 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

ARRAY(0x988543d8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions