Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Official Petition for Amazon to Separate Blu-ray Reviews from DVD Reviews

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 291 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 9:58:24 AM PDT
Darr Darr says:
Obviously, the solution is to buy your DVDs and BDs somewhere they give you separate reviews... apparently the only thing that gets amazon's attention is when you hit them in their wallet.

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 9:50:38 AM PDT
PlayNice says:
I would like this as well, it is hard to sort through the reviews just to find the Blu-ray reviews.

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 9:06:07 AM PDT
EdM says:
It is interesting that Vikings: Season One on DVD now appears separately from Vikings: Season One [Blu-ray]. The DVD version appears in today's Best Deals, Movies and TV section of the Today's Deals/Gold Box page.

The first day of issue is Oct. 15, 2013. Yet, both have 538 customer reviews, as of Sep. 9, 2013. It seems passingly strange that Amazon can separate DVD from BD as sales pages, but still have "customer reviews" of the product remain identical, even though neither product DVD or BD is out yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 9:29:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2013 10:15:28 AM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
where have I EVER said that I thought amazon was perfect? if I thought it was perfect, would I tell someone to go someplace else for Blu-ray reviews? no!

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 7:55:22 AM PDT
E. Quinn says:
Just go to www.Blu-ray.com for your reviews and their buy now link takes you directly to amazon.com for purchases and they also track the price drops/rises. Great site. I dont read any reviews on Blu-rays from amazon.

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 12:22:22 AM PDT
jnjmcc says:
He is also thinks there is no difference between blu ray and dvd

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 12:20:57 AM PDT
jnjmcc says:
You can't argue with sha, I have tried. He just thinks amazon is perfect and that it's not that hard to find blu ray reviews. He's a tool

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2013 11:34:24 PM PDT
Darr Darr says:
If I have to go somewhere else for the review, then I'll buy the blu-ray elsewhere, as well.

The point of having the blu-ray reviews available on the page[s] with the blu-ray disc proper is knowing what it is we're buying without having to dig through 20 pages of reviews for the Betamax/VHS/LaserDisc and 6 different DVD releases trying to find a review of the BD release.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2013 10:44:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2013 10:44:46 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
go someplace else to get your reviews then, Amazon isn't the only site available that has Blu-ray reviews. very simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2013 9:32:56 PM PDT
D...Not sure what type of movies you are into but all my reviews focus only on the transfer to BluRay. When I find another reviewer who does the same, I often go to his name where it says 'See all my reviews' and check out his list of films. Then, if I do see one I might be interested in, I would buy it but do my own review on the transfer. Sometimes they agree and sometimes not but I find that this often works for me. I also get sick of reading a ton of summaries and streaming reviews trying to find one that focuses on the BR's quality.

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 8:51:12 PM PDT
D. Meyer says:
Amen to this entire topic. When I look to the user reviews for Blu-Rays here, I want to know about the transfer and what bonus features it includes in relation to other releases of the film. What I don't want is to have to sift through 500 amateur movie reviews dating back 20 years when that title was first released on VHS.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 11:26:27 PM PDT
Sounds like a tedious task but I imagine there are plenty of willing out of work techies who would love to sort through Amazon reviews. I vote YES.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 12:02:52 PM PDT
Darr Darr says:
As a matter of fact, yes... DVD and Blu-ray Disc **should** be separate from VHS. Go look at the The Terminator [VHS] listing, which is supposedly the "special edition" (whatever that means - it doesn't say in the description)... then click the 'see all customer reviews' link at the bottom... you won't find a description of what features like interviews, deleted scenes or anything else, are on the VHS version[s] in the first 5 pages of reviews, at least (I stopped looking after that), because the first 5 pages are all about different DVD and BD releases.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 8:45:28 AM PDT
bernie says:
Official Petition for Amazon to Separate Blu-ray Reviews from DVD Reviews

Next VHS from DVD.
Seller reviews with one star.
Books, novels from plays, from graphic novels.
Etc.

Where will it end?

The cumulative start rating is useless.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 6:41:46 PM PDT
Georgedc says:
SIGNED.

and separate reviews for director's, theatrical and extended cuts(LOTR)!!!!

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 5:06:13 PM PDT
Mark Hamster says:
YES

I STRONGLY agree with OP

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 11:22:38 AM PDT
Completely agree EdM.. The difference between compressed and uncompressed audio is huge, and, I have to admit, I am more focused on the quality of the audio on Blu Rays and the use of the front and rear sound stages than I am of the video transfer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 11:14:09 AM PDT
EdM says:
"zero difference in movie quality between Blu-Ray and DVD"

Adding to what Darr Hoag very correctly points out about the video, the audio on BD is quite often presented via one of the much superior lossless codecs, Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio. A movie is more than the video alone, although the video improvement is very clear and easy to see. A lossy DD [or DTS] audio track is normally what you get on DVD, and no DVD movie has lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio.

Quite a few Blu-Ray Disc [BD] movies have both a DD [Dolby Digital] as well as a Dolby TrueHD audio tracks, e.g. With more than a few movies, you can switch between the lossy and lossless audio tracks, and if you cannot hear a difference in quality, there's something wrong with your ears, you do not care about audio quality, or your audio system needs upgrading. In some cases the audio difference is subtle, but for those of us who care about such things, that's quite important in making the whole AV experience more like being the real thing. Often this improved audio quality is pointed out in BD reviews of specific movies, e.g., for "Les Misérables" (2012):

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8532/les_misérables_2012.html#Section4

"This is where you'd really expect 'Les Misérables' to shine. Universal has provided an absolutely stellar DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track that truly engulfs the viewer...

Ambient sound is expertly mixed... the side speakers offer an added dimension that truly encompasses the listener. The rear channels are replete with even more ambient sound. We say it a lot, but I only say it when it's true: 'Les Misérables' provides a "like you're there" listening experience."

You don't get that from DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:14:20 AM PDT
Darr Darr says:
I would've kept the AVR and added a magnetic cartridge pre-amp for the turntable (e.g. Pyle PP999 for moving magnets or PYLE-PRO PP444 for moving coil cartridges)... at least that's how I connected my beogram 8000 when I upgraded from my old analog stereo Sansui receiver to an Onkyo TX-NR807 THX AVR.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:10:12 AM PDT
Mathew J says:
Good Point, Darr Hoag...I owned a very nice Yamaha RX-V667 A/V receiver .It has a very effective up-conversion capability thru its' HDMI inputs of Standard Definition program content. I gave it to a friend [partly because I'm a geezer and missed playing my old dbx encoded vinyl records] and went back to my 10 yr. old Yamaha [something 5490]. Oh Boy--I mean "Oh yuck! The standard DVD's don't look nearly as good...Big difference

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 1:58:14 PM PDT
Darr Darr says:
" zero difference in movie quality between Blu-Ray and DVD"

That tells me you have no idea what you're talking about...
maximum resolution from DVD is 480 lines; Blu-Ray can do 1080 lines.

If you're getting more than 480 lines resolution from a DVD, it's from upconversion, not from the DVD itself.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 1:58:11 PM PDT
Mike K says:
This has to be the best idea I have seen suggested here. It should be common sense to separate reviews for two different products. It is misleading to have reviews discussing special features that may not even be present on the other format.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 12:27:08 PM PDT
I agree with the original author because there are several differences between Blu-Ray and DVD, mainly they add additional things because there is zero difference in movie quality between Blu-Ray and DVD, which is also why they probably won't separate it. It also means DVD reviews will probably be lower than Blu-Ray.

Take Wreck it Ralph, the 4 disc Collector's Edition is only $9 more, and you get about 30 minutes or more of extra content, the ability to play it in 3D, as well as own a digital copy on your iTunes(Highly recommended), or Windows Media Player(Not recommended, if you have to reinstall Windows, it's gone)

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 6:39:58 AM PDT
It's gotten even worse now that Amazon includes reviews from those who download streaming movies. It can take forever just to find a review that covers the quality of the transfer from Standard Def to Blu Ray but now I have to scroll through pages of 'streaming reviews' that so nothing more than 'I liked it, exciting and such'
With 3 different formats I could only pray that Amazon would separate these formats.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 2:31:56 PM PST
J. G. says:
Yes!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  99
Total posts:  291
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions