Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

ultra violet is crap.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 174 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2011 7:01:23 AM PST
I can't get any of the ultraviolet movies to download.I have tried without any luck.
Why don't they stick with the I tune or windows downloads.This is just a waste of time.I tunes was fast and easy. Why can't you get a choice of the downloading method.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 12:16:13 PM PST
Redrc22 says:
I agree with you that UV digital copy is not as efficient as iTune or Windows. I actually email them about how slow downloads are and they are sending me a iTune disc instead. The idea of the UV copy is not to download the entire movie but to stream them, which I don't like.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 1:24:39 PM PST
S. J. Klemy says:
If you send Flixster an email, they will send you a code to download your show/movie on iTunes. All you need is your redeem code in the box with the movie.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 3:53:18 PM PST
D. Rossi says:
Is the code in the hard-copy that was purchased? Since it was shipped last Tuesday, with the Xmas rush, it has not arrived and we really want to view the ultraviolet copy.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 10:13:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2011 9:54:12 AM PST
A M says:
I got a copy of Harry Potter 7 Part 2 and it had a UV copy. Basically, it was just a code on the insert. I created a Flixster and Ultraviolet account and it showed up in "collection" tab.

When I redeemed it, they gave me a free movie and I chose Austin Powers. I have successfully streamed both films on my Android Tablet, Android Phone, and laptop. I also downloaded Austin Powers on my tablet, then disconnected from the internet - and the file played. But I later deleted it since I have limited space on the internal memory.

iTunes copies don't work on Android. And currently Android phones outsell the iPhone. That is why they created a new platform. But they also released it before it was fully baked. I will admit that it is clunky to download the digital copy in the web browser, then play it in the Flixster Collections app. I personally feel that most of the hate is just because it is different than iTunes and that is what people are used to. So far my problems with it have been minimal.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 10:42:47 PM PST
R-D says:
There is one studio that is treating it's loyal customers fairly. That studio is Universal. Universal combo packs offer a triple-use code that lets you download a digital copy on iTunes and Windows Media Player and UltraViolet, so that you are given a choice. This began when Cowboys & Aliens Blu-Ray+DVD+iTunes Digital Copy+UltraViolet Digital Copy was released, so any Universal combo pack is fine. Warner Brothers and Sony do not give you this choice and as I experienced with Horrible Bosses, the UltraViolet Digital Copy without the choice between iTunes and UltraViolet is junk because the movie plays blurry on Apple Devices. I will never buy another UltraViolet combo pack again unless they offer that fair choice between UltraViolet and iTunes/Windows Media Player Digital Copy.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 2:03:30 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 8:54:37 AM PST
Redrc22 says:
When I emailed UV to get a code for iTune, they said they will send it via email but I never got one. I had to email them again and they are sending a disc instead. I have iTune on my computer and Android tablet. You have to download the Abode reader before you can watch any UV movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 9:52:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2011 1:37:30 AM PST
A M says:
@Redrc22

You don't know what you are talking about. First of all, your iTunes copy won't play on your android tablet.

Second, the only thing you need to download on your tablet is the flixster app.

Third, nowhere do you have to download Adobe Reader.

On your computer, you need to have Adobe Flash installed to stream it in the browser.

To download the movie (instead of stream it) on your computer you need to have the Flixster Collection app and Adobe Air installed. Adobe Air is a system extension that allows stand alone apps to use Adobe Flash.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 11:02:49 AM PST
Redrc22 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 1:49:43 AM PST
A M says:
Delete the Adobe Reader app, (but keep Adobe Flash and Adobe Air - they are three separate apps) and I guarantee that you will still be able to stream the movie. Reader is solely for PDF documents. It has nothing to do with video.

Also, just because you are streaming it - you still technically own it.

And if the download is slow - then it is not the fault of UV or Flixster - but of your data connection. I have a 35 Mbit/s wifi connection and the download took about 2 minutes. If you are trying to download it over 3G - then yes, it's going to take a while. But the same would be true if you bought or rented a movie through iTunes on an iPad or an iPhone. So it's not the service.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 12:09:57 PM PST
Oskar2525 says:

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 1:45:51 PM PST
douglasG says:
Oskar, pirates do their own rips, they don't distribute industry supplied digital copies.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 3:56:04 PM PST
A M says:
@Oskar:

I agree with douglas. Ultra Violet and any form of digital copies won't crush piracy. As long as it is possible to rip and upload movies, piracy will exist. Free is a hard price to compete with.

The one advantage that movies have over music is that typically we listen to the same music over and over again. Most people watch a movie once. So in that respect, it is often easier for people to just rent a title via iTunes or video store, add it to netflix cue, or program it into the DVR rather than search torrent sites. Also, as long as there are young people in the suburbs - they will always want to get out of the house. And the movie theater is a great escape. TV didn't kill movie theaters. Nor did the Cable TV. Nor did VHS. Nor did DVD.

But there are people who are cheap and want stuff for free. And when it is done in private (as opposed to shoplifting a DVD from a store) it doesn't feel illegal. Piracy will always exist.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 9:02:33 PM PDT
Jana26 says:
I'm hoping someone is still following this string and will be able to answer my questions! I am very confused with the whole ultraviolet copy, cloud, etc. I've had very bad luck in the past just getting my digital copies of movies onto my laptop and now I have a tablet and want to put my digital (ultraviolet) copy of The Hunger Games on my Coby tablet. I haven't done anything to retrieve the copy yet just because I don't want to mess it up and not get it at all. That has happened to me with Warner Bros and they don't have any customer service to help you. Not happy about that! Anyway, from reading this string, here is what I think I understand. First, I follow the steps to get the ultraviolet movie. My guess is that it goes to the cloud and, altho it doesn't say it, I will have to create an account with whatever program/website (???) they are working with (flixter or uvvu or ?). My movie will be stored in the cloud and I can stream it to any (??) computer or phone or tablet. And, somehow I can actually download it to my tablet so I can watch it without having WiFi. Now, if that is right, my confusion starts there. My tablet is android 4.0.3. I think I need to download Adobe Flash and that is the app that will be used to watch it. If not, what? (I've actually been told several different things on this part.) And, if that is correct, how do I download it to my tablet? Can I assume there will be instructions to do that? I want to thank you in advance for helping me understand this.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 9:55:29 PM PDT
D. Knox says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 1:50:55 PM PDT
A M says:
Jana:

First, you have to establish an Ultra Violet and Flixster account on your computer. You can not do the first step on your tablet. The website to go to should be on the insert in the package along with the code for the movie.

The app to download on your tablet is flixster. It is free. When you open the app, there should be a place to log in. Then you will see something called "My Movies" click that tab and you should see the poster for the UV copy of your movie. If you click on the poster, it will take you to a second menu where you have the option to "Watch Now" which will stream the movie or "download now." After it has been downloaded, the button will change to "downloaded" At that point if you click the "watch now" button it will play it from the file rather than stream it. No need to be connected to the internet.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 2:00:55 PM PDT
Jana26 says:
That actually makes sense! Thank you!!!!!

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:28:54 PM PST
I have to say this is the biggest load of rubbish I have come across. You have to sign up for sony and download silverlight. Then you have to sign up with ultra violet. At this point you can stream it. If you want to download it you have to download a flixster app. I DONT WANT TO I JUST WANT A DIGITAL COPY. No wonder pirating is rife. Just sell me a DVD with a code that I can put it in I tunes of a windows player don't screw me around with this.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 2:13:56 PM PST
Gambit says:
actually itunes has screwed it's customers on multiple occasions & is one of the reasons im so happy to switch to UV. i redeemed a few movies on my ipod many years ago. when i got an ipad, i accidently created a 2nd account & bought some music & movies. now i have 2 accounts & apple will not merge them. they want this to happen.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:02:25 AM PST
Fred says:
I downloaded one movie to my Mac via UltraVIOLENT, it made me violent lol. I emailed them after the clusterduck that is Ultraviolet service and informed Sony that their new ONE SONY policy is lagging way behind Apple's superior ONE APPLE service. They told me I could just do this, download that, buy this or that service on my PS3, then do this, then that, jump through 5 hurdles just to achieve what I can on my Apple products without even knowing I had to do anything other than turn on the Apple device. I just bought 3 or more movies that feature UltraVIOLENT, I'm not even going to bother using it.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:16:54 PM PST
M@sterCh1ef says:
Ultraviolet is fantastic. It needs to replace the standard digital download for all blu rays.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:50:11 PM PST
rhardison423 says:
I have never had a problem with Ultraviolet. I have nearly 30 movies and television shows in my collection. All you have to do is enter a code, wait for the page to load and that's it. iTunes begins to take up entirely too much space on my computer. I have close to 50 movies in my iTunes collection. I am very impatient having to wait for a digital copy in iTunes to load.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 10:27:38 AM PST
Fred says:
why blame Apple of any other service for your incompetence? you'd get the same result from any service. I own a PS3 and forgot my original PSN account email and couldn't access my account so I made a new one, when I finally remembered my old email and could log back in and update my profile email i was stuck with two separate accounts. I could access both via the same PS3, but couldn't merge them... and for that matter I was stuck on the phone for 30 minutes trying to have them locate my original data and they forced me to create that second account. So you're incorrect thinking that your situation is unique to Apple and not Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 10:37:43 AM PST
Fred says:
On Mac it's horrible, the player is clunky... the files are displayed to thwart copyright infringement and it's a joke. iTunes waiting? why would you have to wait if you've got your downloads backed up? even if you didn't once you start to redownload them it prompts you when enough data is cached so you can start viewing the movie while it's downloading. I've got my movie collection backed up on 2 separate HDD, and on disc. So in my opinion you're totally wrong. iTunes is far superior in every way to UltraViolet.

Apple has streamlined their iCloud service and even if you don't utilize the cloud, iTunes is by far the superior digital download delivery service. If you want to merely stream movies use Netflunk etc... the newest version of iTunes makes it so easy to manage your collections. If you don't have something loaded onto a device, just log in... click on "purchased"~"not on this device/Mac/etc" then download or manage what you want on that device. If you don't have room, delete items, then download whatever you want again and again as necessary. Whereas on a Sony device it's nearly impossible to manage that at all since music and movies are handled by completely separate SONY delivery services and separate accounts.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  74
Total posts:  174
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions