Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

1976 King Kong

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2013 11:38:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 11:38:32 AM PDT
sound_notes says:
I don't know if any of you have caught the Hi-def stream of the 1976 King Kong on Netflix, but it's absolutley gorgeous and I can only hope it's a preface to a blu-ray release. This must have been filmed in Hawai, no? (Or some region of the tropics.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 12:13:58 PM PDT
EdM says:
According to IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074751/locations?ref_=tt_ft

"Na Pali Coast, Kaua'i, Hawaii, USA | (Skull Island)"

According to this, it is coming to BD in France, perhaps a remaster(?):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=91504

"Studio Canal and Universal Studios-France have teamed up for the release of John Guillermin's classic King Kong (1976) which set to arrive in Gallic territories on June 17th."

It has already come out in France in 2009:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/King-Kong-Blu-ray/6369/#Review

"Studio Canal have put together a decent package for John Guillermin's King Kong. Unless this film undergoes a serious restoration, I think it is fair to conclude that this is the best it could look."

This about the France 2009 issue makes one wonder if the version to come would be a repressing of the same release or a remaster. Judging the quality from a streaming movie, Netflix, Amazon instant video, or whatever, seems dubious. A US BD release is a business decision, if/when? Note that a version of it is available as a rental, and for sale at a stiff price, from "other sellers" here on Amazon King Kong [Blu-ray]

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 10:56:24 PM PDT
9/11 is probably why the 1976 King Kong movie hasn't been released on Blu-Ray.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 3:02:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2013 9:57:35 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
I would like to see this on BD, too. The movie isn't as bad as its reputation would have it.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 3:48:15 PM PDT
warrian says:
There's a much better chance we get this now that Warner Bros. is distributing Paramount catalog titles.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 5:47:53 PM PDT
Otter0911 says:
I have this on HD DVD and it has excellent PQ/AQ.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 9:06:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2013 9:07:15 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
As EdM said, it's out in France, region free! I may pick it up.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/King-Kong-Blu-ray/6369/

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 9:59:15 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Otter0911

Recording to an HD DVD blank disc off air or from a tv channel doesn't count as it's not available for purchase.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 4:33:18 PM PDT
Otter0911 says:
Cavardossi,

Lol, King Kong 1976 was released in France on HD DVD region free by Studio Canal.

Read the review here....

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1079/kingkong1976_fr.html

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2013 8:48:59 AM PDT
bernie says:
I thought it was where King Kong pulls the girl out the window turns he upside-down sniffs and realizes she is not Fay Ray so he tosses he away.

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 9:18:47 AM PDT
Alan says:
Turns he upside down ?
He tosses he away ?
Damn, I thought he was a she !
I guess anyone will wear a dress these days, even in 1976...

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 6:49:36 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Otto0911

I'm curious. How did you find out that an HD DVD of the film had been released in France?

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 8:52:22 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
Otto0911

"I'm curious. How did you find out that an HD DVD of the film had been released in France?"

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1079/kingkong1976_fr.html

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 9:16:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2013 9:19:43 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
paper tiger

Thanks, I forgot about Highdefdigest and their invaluable HD DVD reviews.

I have held off buying a DVD of the 1976 King Kong for years because of the confusing product info given here on Amazon.

There is a 1999 DVD of it described as anamorphic widescreen with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1.

Then, they list a 2005 DVD of the film, describing it only as widescreen, with an AR of 1.78:1.

Finally, a new one from 2012, with no mention of widescreen at all, and an AR of 1.33:1!

Logically, you would think the 2005 version would be the ideal version to buy, but just listing a DVD as "widescreen" often means it is in letterbox form only. Indeed, around that time, I rented the movie from Netflix and it was only letterbox. But were DVDs being released in anamorphic widescreen in 1999? None of my widescreen DVDs from that early in the DVD revolution are anything but letterbox. My recollection is that anamorphically enhanced DVDs began piece meal a bit later than that.

Besides, there is the puzzle of the 2005 edition being listed as AR 1.78:1, and, now, the new one as 1.33:1, obviously not anamorphic!

To add to the fun, the 2005 and 2012 editions both sport the same cover illustration.

I decided this morning to take a chance on a used copy of that 1999 version. As for the chances of a BD version anytime soon, I'm not betting the farm.

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 9:32:55 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
BTW, all three DVD versions of King Kong (1976) are from Paramount, though the 2012 version is given as Paramount Catalog. I wonder if that means it's an MOD DVD-R? If so, that makes that 1.33:1 AR all the more puzzling. What did they use for a master, an old pan and scanned VHS?

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 10:15:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2013 10:16:15 AM PDT
Otter0911 says:
Cavardossi,

From HighDefDigest and AVS Forum...during the Format Wars anytime a title was released here or overseas it was posted.

I have a few HD DVDs imports.

I have the first DVD release and it is anamorphic and a pretty good PQ for a early DVD.

I have a question...Why buy the DVD when you can order the HD DVD or Blu-ray from Amazon.fr ? They are both region free. I decided to get the Blu-ray and it's $27 shipped from France, it will be here next week.

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 12:24:20 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Otter0911

Amazon shows that HD DVD version as no longer available. Does Amazon.fr still have it? I've never ordered any overseas DVDs or BDs, just CDs, so this is unfamiliar territory to me. I see that Highdefdigest says that HD DVD of King Kong is region free, so that's good.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I remember that HD DVDs were all region free and it was apparently that aspect of the format that spurred Sony and friends to rush the not quite yet ready Blu-ray disc to the home market. As a then owner of a major Hollywood studio, the region free HD DVD would play havoc with Sony's international contracts for home video releases. Hence, the tightly controlled region programming of most BDs. I've wondered how those few companies that release an occasional region free BD get away with it since they seem to be flouting Blu-ray regulations.

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 3:20:40 PM PDT
Otter0911 says:
Cavardossi,

Yea Amazon.fr has both HD DVD and Blu-ray in stock. It's very easy to order and safe. It's exactly the same way to order here on http://amazon.com, same email same password.

That was one thing I loved about HD DVD was region free. I could order from UK, France, Germany etc. and didn't have to worry bout region codes.

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 11:32:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2013 11:51:54 PM PDT
Alan says:
I think if you do some reading / research, even if it's at the digitalbits site, you'll find "most" blu-rays are region free, at least through 2012.
You can thank the international laws - or lack there of, as to why these are out there and why you can obtain them.

Keep in mind that, as you may also read, due to the severe lack of mainstream equipment / format usage (a.k.a. a standard format followed by all manufacturers), to make a product available to as many countries as possible, a region lock would cause many many different pressings needed to be made - thus a lot more in costs to mass produce them (and some countries don't even have the type of licensing / copyrighting involved like the United States, "the most" protected material in the world).

The motion picture companies just want to screw the consumer. They don't want to spend extra money doing it!

The real problem with U.K. material and concern to us here in the states - is it 50i or 60i (the U.S. standard).

P.S. The comment about the first issue of the DVD...I have it, too, and it is in fact anamorphic widescreen with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1.
It is not remastered but I have not seen anything to make it worse to watch as any other DVD.
And as it is a DVD, the bigger the screen, the worse it is.

Amazon quite often lists things as Full Screen or 4x3 as initial listings come directly from the industry.
What Amazon seems to lack is a department called "update the listings" as that same information can be there for quite some time after the disc is released, but no one bothered to update it until complaints are received.

Hell, Amazon recently still had the last issue of one of my favorite movies (Legend Of 1900) listed as 160 minutes and full screen, even though it was 123 minutes with an aspect ratio also noted as 2:35:1.
What it says these days, I don't care. It was a reissue of a reissue of an issue and it got worse everytime it was reissued. They never remastered it and the video "flicker" is all over it.

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 6:18:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2013 8:58:20 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Alan

Are you saying that "most" of my many pre- 2012 BDs, all of them labeled Region 1, are actually region free? I find that hard to believe, frankly. It would mean the industry is pulling the wool over the eyes of purchasers and BD player manufacturers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 7:46:23 AM PDT
I don't think you should pay attention to Alan. BD regions are A, B, C. And regions are not a function of law, they are a function of licensing agreements. A region lock does not require multiple pressings. If you own the rights to all regions, then you produce a region free disc. If you only own the licensing rights to region A, why would you need multiple pressings for regions B & C. Alan just doesn't think things through. He is just hoping someone will listen to him.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2013 8:39:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2013 9:40:09 PM PDT
Alan says:
Cavardossi,
If you have the ability to rip your discs, pay attention as both codecs and coding will be within the breakdown of the file log.
You'd be surprised how many are actually region free.
Hint to the program: When you begin to rip, if you don't get a window requesting the proper region setting, it's already region free. Maybe 20% of my rips have that extra step...and yes, many are labeled as region 1 / A, but that may not be so.

Check it out for yourself - sometimes blu-ray dot com has a review of a blu-ray, and if so, they usually note regions tested.

Also, like many of my Amazon U.K. postings about blu-ray specials, I mention and suggest to go there and enter "region free" on their search bar - obviously you'll be surprised.

-----------

I guess the spare change is low in tin cup over in the Cleveland slums...
C. Barbass is back to the Alan bashing (as others call it).
It can be rather entertaining at times as others have researched some things and came back to say he should shut his hole...

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 10:10:08 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Alan

Sorry, I don't have the ability to rip my discs.

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 10:18:31 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Otter0911

I went to Amazon.fr to look for that HD DVD of King Kong (1976). Like Amazon here, it's also unavailable now over there.

BTW, I have Jackson's King Kong on HD DVD. At some point, I suppose I'll buy it on BD, of only watch the extended version.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2013 12:26:54 AM PDT
Alan says:
Cavardossi,
Now would be a good time to get the newer King Kong on blu-ray.
You can find it in the bins at Walmart for $7.88.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions