Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Amazon now Charging Tax!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 859 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 14, 2016 10:20:36 AM PDT
gary jakober says:
I can assure you I will not buy very little from amazon of any other company that tries to charge me tax for online purchases.. I get taxed enough and I am stick of being robbed by the government!

Posted on May 12, 2016 10:49:44 AM PDT
MikeT says:
Who are you claiming was previously overcharged? What is the correct sales tax rate where you reside?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2016 9:14:15 AM PDT
Bronco Bill says:
I just got charged 8.5% sales tax on a couple items. Did you get any reason for the overcharge? I filed a complaint today and am waiting to hear back.

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 9:47:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2016 9:48:18 AM PDT
MikeT says:
The timing I cannot answer for you. Maybe ask your representative in your state house? I can, as I have done, point out that currently the online business' are now collecting what IL law mandates how and what should be collected.

The real question is, why do you care? It was wrong, in your favor, before. Now it is correct. You were under charged for any purchases during the short time you seem so upset about. You SAVED on taxes, just smile and move on. I'd look at it as a temporary short term gift of lower sales taxes paid (collected), regardless of the reason. Same as when the US Customs miscalculated the duty I owed on a purchase I made out of the country. They misplaced a decimal point and only charged me $9.20 of a $92 duty. I sure wasn't going to correct "the officials". I just smiled and moved down the line. :)

Of course, you can always submit the difference (your under payment) of sales tax to the state yourself if you feel so strongly about it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2016 9:04:49 AM PDT
Film Maker says:
I appreciate you looking up publication 113 out of the IL Dept of Revenue dated 9/15, I had actually already found this. While it explains the tax law, it doesn't explain the implementation in this case which is the root of the query. That question again is:

Why, at some time in mid-April 2016, did seemingly all IL online purchases with any IL presence (not just Amazon) suddenly switch from the 6.25% IL state sales tax rate to the local IL sales tax rates? The implementation of the 6.25% sales tax in 2015 was well-documented yet the near 50% jump in sales tax as of mid-April 2016 has had no news coverage.

This is not the case of simply an Amazon distribution center coming online in IL some time in the last few months (that actually already happened in 2015 when a number of them opened up from the summer onwards), this was a policy change that took effect in mid-April 2016 which was not mentioned in any posting of how Illinois would be charging sales tax.

If you could enlighten us as to the timing of the policy change (which again, did not only happen for Amazon but for all IL online distributors) and why this wasn't implemented immediately (why was it 6.25% for everyone, not just Amazon, from 2015 to mid-April 2016, why not be at the higher local rate from the get-go), that would be appreciated even more than the help you've already given.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2016 3:49:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2016 3:51:44 AM PDT
MikeT says:
Shady or not what IL demands in sales tax rates is common for most (all?) states. If located outside of the state the retailer collects only state sales tax (usually referred to as a USE tax). If located inside the state the retailer *must* collect all sales taxes including state+county+municipal+other local sales taxes. The later is determined by either where the business is physically located or where the item is being delivered.

30 second google search found this:
http://www.revenue.state.il.us/publications/pubs/pub-113.pdf

<from page 4>
"What factors determine the rate that applies to the sales I make? Generally, it is the location of your Illinois business or, if a multiple location filer, your Illinois sites that determine the rate of tax. The rate of sales tax that applies to retail sales made within Illinois varies based on the location of the sale."

"For out-of-state retailers, if the tangible personal property sold at retail is shipped from an out-of-state location, Illinois use tax rates are 6.25 percent (.0625) for general merchandise or 1 percent (.01) for qualifying food, drugs, and medical appliances. If an out-of-state retailer ships a product from an Illinois warehouse, distribution center, etc., the transaction is subject to sales tax rather than use tax and the Illinois location where the product is shipped from determines the rate of tax."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My business sells industrial products into all 50 states and we collect sales/use tax in almost half of those states. How IL calculates such sales/use taxes (as described above per their own document) is exactly how it is in all the states we file with. IOW, it is the norm. :)

I'm on your side, I hate paying such taxes, business or personal, and avoid them whenever possible. I'm just telling you the reality of it, and that how IL determines and calculates it's sales/use taxes is very much the norm (sad as it is).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2016 2:38:16 PM PDT
Film Maker says:
Correct, per my earlier messages the state sales tax is 6.25%. Per all the legal information and state announcements, news articles, etc. that were found, beginning in 2015 Amazon and other websites with physical presences in IL began carrying that state sales tax charge. However, at no time has there been any information released anywhere explaining that local county and municipal taxes would be added to the "state" sales tax. This is all very shady but that would be par for the course in IL politics where unions and state employees have strangleholds on the policymakers. Rauner is trying to make the necessary cuts but has been blocked at every turn. Oy, politics aside, I can't believe there is no official information to be found on this.

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 8:47:30 AM PDT
MikeT says:
Wild guess is that 6.25% is the "state" sales tax, additional "local" county & municipal taxes are on top of that. Maybe they had a special reprieve from local taxes while getting their distribution centers going in IL? Maybe they updated their tax collection software to fully comply with all state/local sales taxes? Dunno.

Being in a very high sales tax state you could be paying as much as 11% in IL.
http://www.taxrates.com/blog/2015/12/02/illinois-sales-tax-rate-changes-january-2016/

I'd bet your actual local location dictates a 10% sales tax. If not, inform Amazon they are in error. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2016 8:25:48 AM PDT
Film Maker says:
Yes but this doesn't explain why the tax jumped after mid-April 2016 from 6.25% to 10%. I cannot find an explanation for this jump anywhere. It is the same for all Illinois-based online purchases, not just Amazon.

Posted on Apr 26, 2016 10:41:52 AM PDT
MikeT says:
Amazon has a physical presence in Illinois, therefore they are required to charge IL sales tax.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-amazon-joliet-0811-biz-20150810-story.html

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2016 9:16:49 AM PDT
Film Maker says:
I just noticed this too after trying to place an order today for delivery in Chicago. On an order placed on 4/6, I was charged the state sales tax of 6.25%. What happened between then and now? There is no information to be found anywhere and I've contacted Amazon for a response.

Posted on Apr 18, 2016 4:03:34 AM PDT
techhead says:
Amazon is charging me over 10% sales tax in Illinois. Not worth shopping here any more. After my Prime account expires, I'm done.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2016 12:18:34 PM PDT
BigMamou says:
I watch this moronic thread to laugh at how stupid most of the posters here are! Once in a while I do feel the need to clarify some info being dispensed here though. E.g., Even though Montana doesn't have a sales tax they have one of the highest state income taxes so they get you one way or another! Anyway, for no sales tax I'd move to Oregon.....it's more sane there.

Posted on Mar 29, 2016 10:40:30 AM PDT
SLICK_T says:
Anyways if many of you anti tax people want no sales tax on amazon, move to Montana. No sales tax there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2016 10:34:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 2, 2016 10:47:50 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 26, 2016 3:35:28 AM PDT
MikeT says:
I get my cigs from indian reservations and when I visit the Caribbean every year. In the Caribbean name brand cigs are $15 a carton.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2016 8:31:33 PM PDT
Pegasus says:
Would LOVE to know where to get those (Tax free) cigs. I am not ashamed to evade any taxes I can from this no good government run by a loser

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 9:30:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2016 9:31:01 AM PDT
Jamesvee says:
Amazon collecting Colorado taxes? They will definitely lose my big purchases as there are several other sites that won't collect the tax. When your talking spending a few thousand dollars on a new TV, your adding on hundreds of dollars to the final price. Might as well get it from Best Buy. I am all for taxes, but I feel online purchases are not a state transaction and do not warrant a state tax.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2016 9:40:00 PM PST
I live in Colorado, Denver metro area, and was charged 4% on my last purchase (not 3.9). I'm not quibbling over the 1/10th percent... just sayin'. I've also noticed that on 'Warehouse Deals' the tax comes up at 8.8% - what's up with that? I don't understand why those items - usually used returns, in varying conditions - are being sold at a much higher tax rate. They're still Amazon items - the difference in tax sometimes negates the savings potential on buying a used item. ??????

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2016 7:58:05 AM PST
The Dude says:
I buy a lot less on Amazon now that they charge tax here in Colorado. They lost a big advantage.

Posted on Mar 1, 2016 1:33:59 AM PST
MikeT says:
A quick google search reveals:
"The Colorado (CO) state sales tax rate is currently 2.9%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high as 10.9%. Colorado is a "home rule" state. Local-level tax rates in the state of Colorado are quite complex compared against local-level tax rates in other states."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2016 5:43:58 PM PST
BigMamou says:
In CO do different local governments have the authority to vote extra taxes for themselves? Perhaps that's why?

Posted on Feb 29, 2016 2:55:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2016 4:55:22 AM PST
softa_Larry says:
UPDATE: I finally got a reply. The extra 1% is a valid tax for the Regional Transportation District (Public transportation, roads, etc.) and goes back to Colorado. I am glad Amazon finally responded. I would hope that this information will be made more readily available in the future. It should be available without several phone calls and e-mails. Below is the original post and has been answered by Amazon:

I am curious as to why Amazon charges MORE sales tax than my state (Colorado) requires. The Colorado Revenue Department requires 2.9%. That is fine, as 2.9% is indeed the law. But Amazon is charging 3.9%. The response to my inquiry was that "yes, they charge 3.9%" but no response as to why.

So what happens to the extra 1%? Although it is pennies on some orders, over thousands of orders pennies turn into real extra dollars received by Amazon that DO NOT go back to the states, but are out of Amazon customers pockets. Is there a reason?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2016 12:46:18 PM PST
francine says:
south carolina is on that tax list. saw it was coming

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 5:15:01 AM PST
Surfside says:
Amazon just lost my business (for more than just tax - that's just the last nail in their coffin).
Why bother with Amazon now? In this case I can get it locally for the same price and pick it up today.
I will continue to use Amazon to get local retailers to price match, though. I am grateful to have Amazon around for that!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 35 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  331
Total posts:  859
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions