Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

UV Digital Copy Hate

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 314 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 3:14:03 PM PST
A M says:
No. It doesn't have any of that. Just a basic player and time bar.

BUT if you want to go frame by frame in an iTunes DC, if you are on an authorized computer, you can open the video file in quicktime player and that will let you go frame by frame by using the right and left arrow keys.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 5:30:00 PM PST
Zero of One says:
Thx for the info. I was hoping to be able to do that with an android or idevice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 8:53:24 PM PST
But if you have actually clicked on the detailed description, you would see:

"UltraViolet rights include streaming from the selling UltraViolet retailer, at no extra charge above the original purchase price, for at least ONE YEAR after purchase. This no-extra-charge streaming will be offered to specific apps/devices, and via streaming means, to be DETERMINED BY the selling UltraViolet retailer. Streaming of a given title from the selling UltraViolet retailer more than a year after its purchase, or at any time via streaming services other than the selling UltraViolet retailer, MAY INCUR FEES and if so any such fees would be presented to the consumer in advance of streaming titles..."

Usually, there would be no problem with that, if not for the following:

"UltraViolet titles will soon be available from all UltraViolet PARTICIPATING retailers in a standard downloadable file format that will work on all UltraViolet-compatible media players apps and devices... The functionality and rights for downloads that are described here are planned, but NOT GUARANTEED, and are subject to change."

So while the rights to your digital copy might not expire, the rights to streaming might, and depending on the retailer, streaming as opposed to downloading might be your only source of watching it.

(emphasis mine from the excerpts)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 4:17:32 AM PDT
Oddley enough, several of my Warners HD DVDs have started having playback issues for no particular reason. I have 4 separate players(I purchased them cheap when the format was about to die) and the same discs freeze in all three players. I'm curious if it's a type of Laser rot that has effected several of my Laserdiscs.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 11:33:24 PM PDT
JMM says:
As a digital copy format, I prefer iTunes but have actually found Ultraviolet to be effective now that you can watch movies from your "digital locker" on VUDU.

One thing that is annoying is that if its a Sony movie you have to have a Sony account, if it's WB then you need a Flixster account, etc. In today's society we really don't need more accounts and passwords to keep track of...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:35:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 2:38:16 PM PDT
A. Allyson says:
I've been having major issues with customer service. 1) I rarely received responses over the past SIX months to requests for help. I couldn't log in for months. I would receive a generic response that wouldn't help, I'd respond/follow-up, and then there would be no response, or another unhelpful, cold response. Their customer services gets a D.
2) Logging in is nearly impossible if you've forgotten your username. There's no mechanism for you to retrieve your username.
3) The password retrieval is dependent on security questions that you may not have even set up yet. Even if you have set them up, I've found that they routinely don't work.
4) You can't combine accounts, remove a movie and put it into a different account, and linking and unlinking problems from Flixster apps can cause massive issues and conflicts. Then, you're in the cycle of sucky support they offer. So, to put a long story short- I was directed by customer support to "create another account" because they couldn't find my original account set-up in January. Then later, I find out my movies are lost in another account. When they finally resurface my original account, I now have 2 accounts. They have no response as to how in the world this issue can be remedied, despite my pleas.
5) Their FAQs. They definitely do not have a good customer support manager or product manager. The search in the FAQs returns no results if you try "log on" "login" "logging in" "logon" "logging on"...
6) Customer support between the linking services is not consistent. Hence the confusion that led to me creating a new account, now having 2, and being left with a total mess.
7) They require you to active the account through an email, even though you're already physically on the site. More than once, that activation email never reached me. Just today, that activation email link didn't even work. It's amazing.

How's that for some other complaints? Also, I have worked on web product design teams for different companies and have an IT support background. I know what should and shouldn't be on such a major site. This site is just...bad. Horrible design.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 1:47:44 PM PDT
A. Paredes says:
In the beginning I liked the ultraviolet digital copies in flixter, but what pisses me off is that if I purchase a 3d bluray that comes with 3d, regular bluray, dvd and digital copy when I put in the ultraviolet digital it only lets me stream it in sd instead of HD. if I purchased a bluray it should give you a code to watch in HD.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 11:16:43 PM PDT
I do not want to watch it in a cloud, I do not want to watch it in a crowd, I do not want to deal with spam, I do not need it in the can (because I am not one of the sheepeople with an expensive iPad toy) I will not eat it ...and you can't make me!

UV blows and here's why: How is it possible that I can buy a Blu-Ray disk, pay retail, and not be able to load a copy onto my desktop Mac as I did with: Captain America, Batman, Inception, All Quiet on the Western Front on and on and on and NOT The Artist. And let's be direct here. Amazon itself says "UltraViolet is a new cloud-based way to collect, access, and enjoy your movies & TV shows. Add this movie to your UltraViolet Digital Library to instantly stream and/or download the movie to your PC or Mac" Note the DOWNLOAD part. It fails to mention all the additional nonsense about registering your life away, giving them all kinds of personal information, accepting the zillion cookies, beacons and whatnot. I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO DOWNLOAD YET ANOTHER PIECE OF CRAP SOFTWARE just to watch a movie I paid for. I just want to download the bloody thing to my computer.

You should see the micro-fine print, oh wait, you can't because you need a jewelers loupe to see it. If the studios want to know why people download pirate copies, THIS IS THE REASON. I totally agree with the post from Pedro Kid "This, folks, is outrageous. How many applications and privacy violating policies must we allow on our machines to view the content we PAID FOR??"

Just in case you missed the best part of his post, I quote (thanks Pedro, you hit the nail right on the head) Studios are forcing..."consumers to adopt their Flixster application on not only their mobile devices, but also on their computers as well if they want to view the content they PAID FOR. Along with this there are some VERY DISTURBING aspects to Flixster in it's terms of use: You no longer own your digital copy after three years (UV actually only requires 'retailers' to let you own it for one year... so you may be charged to stream or download after one year). You MUST give Flixster access to your entire computer. This is not a choice. The application gathers data on ALL of your media whether it is in Flixster or not (it's all right there in the terms of use folks). By installing Flixster you also give it the right to _remove YOUR media_ from your computer... Not only media you registered with Flixster but ANY media that is deemed to not have proper rights for use. Finally, it is not so much a 'choice' whether you give Flixster access to Netflix or Facebook but more of a 'when'. You see, you don't get a choice. If you have Flixster open on your computer when you open Netflix or Facebook you _automatically_ grant Flixster the right to access your accounts on those services (read the terms folks).

I did not/was not able to enter my redemption code today, even after I signed my life away. Cloud shmoud, I'm ripping this crap out of my computer right now and will NEVER EVER purchase a SONY disk in any format. I'm off to The Bay.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 11:50:57 PM PDT
Wow, shill much?

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 1:51:12 PM PDT
EdM says:
FWIW - If you look carefully at the Terms of Use, nothing at all is guaranteed, notwithstanding all the things they promise the user:

https://my.uvvu.com/ssp/public/termsOfUsePage.jsf

"Changes to UltraViolet and the UltraViolet Terms of Use

"DECE reserves the right to make changes to UltraViolet from time to time, with or without notice to you. Any description of how UltraViolet works contained herein should not be considered a representation or obligation with respect to how UltraViolet will always work. DECE reserves the right, from time to time, at any time, and in its sole discretion, with or without additional notice to you, to change the UltraViolet Terms of Use. You should review the UltraViolet Terms of Use frequently to understand the terms and conditions ... The most current version of the UltraViolet Terms of Use will supersede all previous versions. If you do not agree to, or cannot comply with, the updated UltraViolet Terms of Use, you must stop using UltraViolet."

It likely requires a lawyer [I'm not] to understand what all the ToS, etc. mean, but the short version is that they have all the rights, including the right to change rights as they desire, and users have no guaranteed rights at all. Not only that, but you are obligated to recheck the ToS [whenever they make any change] to know what the terms actually are at that time, as use of the service [under new terms] constitutes acceptance of the new Terms of Service.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 7:16:01 AM PDT
Vader 77 says:
I Can't Get Them To Work. I Would Be Happy With A Dig Copy. Universal Still Includes These With Their Blu Rays.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 5:49:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 5:51:31 PM PDT
Amazon Jeff says:
It's pure crap, that's why.

That's why I bought a $50 blu-ray drive for my computer and I rip all the movies I buy myself. The quality is a thousand (maybe a million?) times better, there's no filthy DRM dirtying them up, and I can stream them to anything DLNA certified (my TV/PS3), or my Apple TV.

Don't take it up the butt from the Hollywood executives who are forcing you to use their players and formats: rip your movies yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 8:19:01 AM PDT
I totally agree....It's not just being allowed to have movies on iTunes its the fact that I have to download an app for each studio just to view the movie. I don't want an app for every studio in Hollywood just to watch the movie. I want to have the choice to download the movie and put it wherever I want on my computer and/or tablet. I've emailed WB with my complaint about this new ultraviolet version. So we will see what they say. But for now I just won't buy combo packs if it comes with an ultraviolet version and not a true digital copy. Also some people are having trouble with the app, so it's not just about people complaining about uploaded it to iTunes. Of course I don't like not being able to upload to iTunes. That is where all my other movies are located. I will just play the DVD in my computer or just rip the DVD instead to be able to upload to my portable devices. So if the studios want to make money then they need to go back to the option of a true digital copy or lose out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 9:03:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 9, 2012 9:06:59 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 4:37:52 PM PDT
A M says:
"its the fact that I have to download an app for each studio just to view the movie. I don't want an app for every studio in Hollywood just to watch the movie."

This is wrong. All UV movies play in the flixster app. There is only one app.

"Of course I don't like not being able to upload to iTunes. That is where all my other movies are located."

And I also hate that I have to switch the channel from Fox to watch The Simpsons to Comedy Central to watch Futurama to HBO to watch Bill Maher. Grow up.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 5:52:39 PM PDT
@M I don't want Flixter either. The studios just need to get their poo together and stop jerking the consumer a round. Your smug, snotty comment does nothing to advance the discussion at hand: the vast shortcomings of this intrusive and unfriendly customer facing decision. Stop trying to hold my media hostage, or face the wrath of an outraged consumer. Now that I hear you can get an external bluray player and rip them, that will be my next purchase. Do they sell them on Amazon? Do I need additional software to rip them? Oh and your viewing habits speak volumes about your approach to this.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 9:43:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 11:39:14 AM PDT
A M says:
@ Constant Reader:

First of all, the word is "around" not "a round." I merely corrected a mistake. Pamela assumed it was a different app for each UV movie from each studio. How is that not advancing the discussion?

Another mistake, "unfriendly customer facing decision." I think you mean "unfriendly decision facing the customer."

"Stop trying to hold my media hostage"

They aren't holding your media hostage. You buy the DVD or Blu-Ray. The Digital copy is a "bonus." And you can download the movie to your device and play it locally without an internet connection. I've done it. You call it "intrusive" and "unfriendly" - how? Because it doesn't live in iTunes? I have an android tablet and phone (as do the majority of people). iTunes doesn't work for us. Should the studios just kiss their business goodbye so you won't have to use a different app to playback movies on your phone? And how often do you watch a movie that you own on your phone? Most people watch something once and never again. Except children.

And in terms of your questions about blu-ray players and ripping... Why should I be helpful and provide you with information after being insulted? Also, the fact that you don't seem to be able to use Google to find the answers to your questions (as I did) speaks volumes about your level of education and intelligence.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 12:46:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2012 12:47:19 PM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
Stop throwing your toys out of your prams people.
UV works, so what if you have to have another app. You can still download it, you don't have to stream it to watch it.

I'm sure AndrOid customers like the fact they can watch films on their devices aswell.
UV is for the wider consumer not just Apple customers. Why should everything be exclusive to Apple.

I have downloaded countless movies to my IPad and watch them offline as they are stored on my device to watch whenever I want.

I think the only way to keep all the whingers happy is to have two codes one for iTunes customers and one for Android customers.

Geez people grow up, you still have the option of watching them, that hasn't been taken away. A digi copy is a bonus, some BD films don't have the luxury of a digi copy with them. They are just film only releases. Are you gonna complain about that aswell.

There are more important issues in our World to worry about. UV isn't one of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 4:52:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 5:43:21 AM PDT
Actually not all UV movies are playable via Flixster. My MI: Ghost Protocol says its not on my Flixster movies page. But if i go to Universal Studios or Vudu site i can play it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 5:00:01 AM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
I bought the Steelbook of M:I Ghost Protocol and that came with an iTunes code but not a digital copy of the film on a disc. I had to put the code in and wait for it to download via my broadband. Took a couple of hours. Mine wasn't UV!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 5:48:26 AM PDT
Did your steelbook have a UV sticker on the outside packaging?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 12:29:11 PM PDT
Bourne1886 says:
No. Just had the iTunes code inside. I also got a Featurette and some deleted scenes to download aswell.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 3:19:19 PM PDT
Zaphod says:
The problem with UltraViolet is that I have to give my personal info (I.e. email address) to three companies to stream one movies, Sony, Flixster, and UltraViolet. With iTunes it is only one company.

Next, I want to own my digital copy, not have it in a cloud somewhere, and not all people in America have access to high speed Internet or 4g service (that if you stream video you will be charged a butload of money) heck, where I live I have not cell service so streaming is pointless. To download a movies from iTunes it takes 18hrs so I would have to plan a day in advance to use the digital copy from Ultra-Violet.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 10:02:40 AM PDT
A M says:
"I want to own my digital copy, not have it in a cloud somewhere"

UV copies can be downloaded to your device or computer and played back without an internet connection. But from what you describe, it would probably take all night and all day just like on iTunes.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 8:51:18 PM PDT
JMM says:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but almost all UV digital copies are compatible with and can be viewed through Vudu.

I really don't like Flixster. I find Vudu to be much nicer and easier to navigate, plus I can stream it to my television (many digital copies are now in HD format). Granted I still had to create a Flixster account and log in to redeem my UV codes from Warner Bros, but I linked my UV account to my Vudu account, so all UV copies now automatically show up in my Vudu collection.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  111
Total posts:  314
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2011
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions