Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

What Blu-Ray's are available overseas, but not yet released in the USA

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2013 10:35:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 11:06:19 PM PST
Rykre says:
I've just made a few purchases recently from some of the overseas Amazon websites. Some movies are being released in other countries, that have not been released on Blu-Ray in America.

I will share with you what I have bought as imports:

From Japan, I've bought the Blu-Rays of:

Shanghai Triad (Gong Li)
Metropolis (Japanese anime)

From France, I've bought:

A Very Long Engagement (Audrey Tautou)
Phantom of the Paradise (Paul Williams)

From Germany, I've bought:

Bollywood Nudes
Powaqqatsi

From Canada, I've bought:

The Trailer Park Boys Movie (the first one)
B!tch Slap

From Korea, I've bought:

Taigukgi: The Brotherhood of War

From England, I've bought:

The Elephant Man

From India, I've bought many Bollywood films (however, they are available through Amazon's US website, however, I still got one import:

Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (however, it's an annoying censored version. Any nudity, no matter how subtle, has been cut out) Indians and their warped sense of morality: bloodshed, disrespect for one another, and police brutality are all okay to them, but heaven forbid should the beauty of the naked female body be exposed, they feel that they must remove it from the film before showing it in India. What a warped sense of values. Anyway...

.....nowadays, it's very easy to find region Free disc players. Most every film here, that I've listed is Region-Free anyway. If you have one, you can watch any movie from any country.

Who else has discovered great films that seem to be only released on Blu-ray overseas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 10:42:42 PM PST
Elder Dave says:
I learned in another thread of this forum that "Creature From The Black Lagoon" in BD 3-D is available from Amazon UK, and I got it. Great to see it again . Cost, including shipping, $20 USD.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 5:36:46 AM PST
on amazon.fr i bought
Warlock the Western with H.Fonda and A Quinn
Broken Arrow
Broken Lance
Garden of Evil
Open Range
amazon.de i bought
the man who shoot liberty valance
on amazon.uk i bought the series the Event in the blu ray format,as much as i know in the us its only in the DVD format available.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 12:01:34 PM PST
thefunny1 says:
I've bought from Amazon UK:
Cleopatra
Boogeyman
Dead Silence

Amazon Spain--by way of Amazon Germany:
Creepshow 2

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 12:14:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 1:52:39 PM PST
EdM says:
"great films that seem to be only released on Blu-ray overseas?"

This has to be taken with a grain of salt. One person's great film is another's "Ho-Hum" ordinary film. For example, consider:

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

"AFI's 100 YEARS...100 MOVIES - 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION"

Even "The Elephant Man", a good film, does not make this list of greats, and as to "Metropolis", the only one widely regarded is the Fritz Lang one, e.g.:

http://nighthawknews.wordpress.com/2009/01/01/outside-the-scope-of-afi-the-100-best-foreign-language-films/

"Outside the Scope of AFI: The 100 Best Foreign Language Films"

"9. Metropolis (Fritz Lang) - 1926"

I have found that occasionally [European and other] films may be found that are less censored. For example, not a great film, but with some small merit: Kaboom on DVD, vs. an import on BD: Kaboom (2010) ( Boom ) ( Ka - boom ) [ Blu-Ray, Reg.A/B/C Import - France]

The Japanese market has a great many BDs in the Japanese language that are not available here, and some of them are well regarded in the Japanese market. However, after a time, we sometimes get access to Japanese [and other foreign] language films for some of the great films, like for Kurosawa, Seven Samurai (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray].

Others are not available here, like "Hidden Fortress", which is found in a collection in Japan:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Akira-Kurosawa-The-Masterworks-Collection-II-Blu-ray/6732/

There have been articles on "Hidden Fortress" influence in "Star Wars", e.g. Still, for best enjoyment of foreign language films, you really should listen in the original language, and not many ordinary Americans know Japanese.

I'll also note that I like the Canadian film The Red Violin (Remastered) (Meridian Collection) quite a lot, and have it in this form. It was not originally available in BD, but The Red Violin [Blu-ray] now is, and I originally got it from Canada. However, I am much in accord with Amazon reviewer Leif Sheppard in his review, "The Red Violin" Blu-Ray Review of July 8, 2010.

I found there was little if any improvement in the image over the Meridian DVD, and I was also disappointed because the BD lacked lossless audio, as the audio is quite a large part of this story about a violin and its history, and well performed by Joshua Bell [solo violin]. Sometimes movies give us quite a treat in musical performances, as here and with Isaac Stern in Fiddler on the Roof (Two Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo), and "Fiddler" gave us a lossless DTS HD Master Audio sound track, not to mention a high quality remaster. However, the "Red Violin" BD was not any significant improvement over the Meridian release and I was greatly disappointed, not in the movie itself which I originally saw in the theater, but in the technicals of the BD release.

In any event, I tend to disagree with this idea, "Who else has discovered great films that seem to be only released on Blu-ray overseas?". Surely, some movies have not been released on BD in the USA, but that's often for economic, technical or legal reasons, like expected market size, or sometimes USA film ratings [R or NC-17, e.g.] will diminish sales expectations.

Not that there are no examples of foreign films not making it to BD in the US, because there are. But usually, these are for economic reasons, sometimes for political reasons. After all, fine films in Spanish or Italian or French are just not perceived as having a great market in English speaking USA, unless they are Academy Award winners or have received other awards for film excellence.

In fact, there are still USA films in the AFI top 100 that have not made it to BD yet, anywhere. For example, Lawrence of Arabia (Restored Version) [Blu-ray] from 1962 only made it to BD in 2012, and it is #5 in the AFI top 100 films. "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" [#29 on the AFI top 100] has not yet made it to BD yet, anywhere.

If one complains about "Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love" being censored in India, then it might be as well to watch the USA version on DVD, which seems less restricted in content per IMDB, than is described by the OP.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116743/

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 12:38:56 PM PST
warrian says:
These are ones that I'm interested in...

English Language Films only available on Blu as imports:

Solomon Kane
Shanghai (2010)
Painted Veil
Seraphim Falls
Death Defying Acts
City of Ember

Foreign Language Films only available on Blu as imports:

Fame & Citron
Cargo

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:44:50 AM PST
Taylor says:
The Cruel Sea. Quatermass and the Pit. Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Part of the problem is licensing. Criterion lost the license for many films owned by Studio Canal, which as I understand it decided they just wanted one US licensee, Lionsgate. Lionsgate bought the licensing rights for all Studio Canal movies in the US so they could get distribution rights to just one movie, Terminator. They have no interest in releasing the many, many classic Studio Canal titles that Criterion made their name from based on quality transfers. Many of these titles are available in the UK, but only very few are region-free.

This is what drives people to rip their BDs and remove the stupid region restrictions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 9:43:58 AM PST
EdM says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 9:53:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 9:54:55 AM PST
Reiner Werner Fassbinder films can be difficult to find even on DVD.

His "World on a Wire" on blu-ray is 4 hours of confusing sort of 70's sci-fi virtual reality but great cinematography.

His "Despair" on blu-ray" is a beautifully shot but odd 1930's decadent rich guy downfall.

Still no "Marriage of Maria Braun", "Bitter Tears of Petra Van Kant", "Merchant of Four Seasons", or "Ali: Fear Eats The Soul" which in my humble opinion would be the best to start for you viewers who are not always crazy about European films.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:02:11 PM PST
M. Gaudet says:
castle of cagliostro uk and france
my neighbor totoro uk and japan
the hidden fortress toho japan no english subs

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:46:14 PM PST
JVAN says:
Naked Lunch (Criterion) is available overseas, and is region locked. This movie is not available in the U.S. on blu-ray at all. The Criterion DVD does look great, but seeing screenshots comparing it to the blu-ray makes me want to wait for it to come out on BD here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 9:29:26 PM PST
Kerry.b says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:08:34 PM PST
SHANGHAI is fantastic in Blu-ray. CITY OF EMBER is REGION B Locked. Thought I'd share my thoughts on the pair on your list I own.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:25:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 8:26:41 AM PST
Naked Lunch is on Criterion's April release list (9th) along with Repo Man (16th)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10273

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:44:11 AM PST
JVAN says:
SWEEEEET! Bonus! Two movies I'd definitely get on blu-ray, getting the Criterion treatment!

They released the Criterion edition of Brazil on blu-ray last month. Does anyone know if there are any picture or audio quality differences between it and the non-Criterion blu-ray?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:44:37 AM PST
BeatleEd says:

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:52:57 AM PST
R. Rayborn says:
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is one that doesn't have a USA release, which is sad since it's absolutely stunning.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 7:06:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2013 7:07:28 PM PST
A. Salcido says:
Why all the negative votes on this thread? I'm not sure what the specific beef is with this topic. Some of us have region free players for this reason.

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 6:23:09 PM PST
Bourne1886 says:
Wimbledon with Kirsten Dunst. On Blu-ray in the UK not the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 12:33:52 AM PST
M. Gaudet says:
Yeah the Rintaro Metropolis is one of my favorite films ever and the fact that there is no US release is just appalling.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 3:47:46 AM PST
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Solomon Kane
The Company of Wolves

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 12:37:01 AM PDT
David says:

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 11:57:15 AM PDT
J. P. Lynch says:
On the anime trend, I've been ordering Yamato 2199 from amazon.jp. I really wish I could get it here in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 6:44:02 PM PDT
D. Kruse says:
I have the German HD-DVD Das Parfume. I agree it is a stunning film that I have watched several times.

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 8:14:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 1, 2013 5:31:23 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions