Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Official Petition for Amazon to Separate Blu-ray Reviews from DVD Reviews

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 291 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:14:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 3:16:40 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
if you say so. picture quality don't matter to me, as long as the movie is watchable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 3:22:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 3:34:22 PM PST
DC says:
@Sha Gojyo No I am not kidding I used that as an example as you saw no difference you may see no difference on your 720 but on your 1080 you should definitely see a big difference as 1080 is native for blu.

Now why you can see no difference is quite odd. I can tell instantly.
You mention an odd size not many make so im going to say you have a Samsung Plasma is this correct? If this is the case and your TV is set up correctly you should see a difference. I have an Oppo player, and blu looks amazing on it. You can tell the difference in 2 seconds.

You might want to look into a better machine they are in no way all created equal.

If picture quality doe's not matter to you then you shouldn't have invested in a 1080p set and blu at all you wasted your money.

The real reason to invest more in your gear is for both the image and sound quality that is why blu was created in the first place, so if you don't care then no reason to buy blu at all. Bottom line is for those who do care the difference is plain to see.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 4:28:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 4:46:15 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>If picture quality doe's not matter to you then you shouldn't have invested in a 1080p set and blu at all you wasted your money.<<

cause 1080p is pretty much the default resolution nowadays and it was only around $600 when I bought it, so I figured I was getting a great deal. I didn't buy it cause it was 1080p, I bought it cause of the size of the screen to play my games on, since it was $600 insted of $1000+ which is the usual price for a 50"+ HDTV. it seems a lot better and cheaper to use than useing 3 monitors for my laptop, like a lot of people do to play games on their PC.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 7:25:20 PM PST
Darr Darr says:
Maybe their AVR does good upconversion?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 10:36:13 AM PST
What happens when you the next wave of blu rays? first its going to be the "collector's edition", then the "ultimate edition" etc and we are still going to be left in the dark as to what we're buying even if your petition goes through. We'll need another petition to differentiate between the different blu editions and the whole thing will be never ending. It's a bad idea - i can see why amazon rejects this kind of stuff

Frankly its best to rely on the intelligence of the person doing the review to tell you about the quality of the blu ray (assuming they even care). Besides, there are plenty of other sites that do good blu ray reviews

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:57:11 AM PST
Darr Darr says:
Yes, just do away with product reviews altogether... you can find them elsewhere.
Limit reviews to performance of the supplier, since most of them are NOT amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:57:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 12:03:10 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>Yes, just do away with product reviews altogether... you can find them elsewhere.<<

exactly! if you don't like how Amazon has their reviews, then go someplace else for your reviews or deal with it and stop whining/b!#c#ing about it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:17:26 PM PST
Judi Fryer says:
Sha, the original idea of this posting string was to comment Amazon separating reviews of the same offering into differering media. You have been giving us your opinion since May of this year (2012). Since you don't think Amazon is listening anyway and you don't want them separated, and they are staying the same, and you have provided your opinion on this subject and more until it is sickening, why don't you give a rest for the new year? Enough already!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:19:27 PM PST
Judi Fryer says:
Oh, yes, on another subject worked inoto this post, if you don't like the reviews on Amazon at all and don't think they are necessary, why not just skip reading there. There are lots of other places to order things on line as well, so should Amazon just stop selling stuff. There are lots of other places to annoy people on line too. It would be great if you would just latch onto one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:37:11 PM PST
DC says:
@mojo_navigator if the reviewer does not care about quality then they shouldn't be buying blu in the first place, let alone posting a review. This is to separate blu from DVD not blu from blu. And it makes plenty of sense to do this. Does not matter if there are other sites this site needs the reviews separated a simple db filter would work fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:51:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 8:52:05 AM PST
DC >> who are you to tell someone whether they should or should not buy a blu ray disc, let alone if they should post a review? Has it ever occurred to you that maybe that person is buying a film that they've never seen in the first place and hence are going to review the film? Separating dvd from blu does not mean that you'll get closer to knowing what the quality of the blu is. This would only work if the person reviewing it specifically talks about quality and fortunately as we do not live in a totalitarian dictatorship, they are free not to talk about it

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:34:12 PM PST
Mathew J says:
"What the freakin heck are you talking about?"..."You are a serious mental midget."and "Dang are you stupid." Do you really believe your nasty insults are of any value to anyone? I don"t.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:56:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 4:57:18 PM PST
Here's my contribution to the self-declared "Official Petition for Amazon to Separate Blu-ray Reviews from DVD Reviews". -- consider it signed by me.

Not only do blu-rays and DVDs warrant their own separate reviews, but so do subsequent releases (i.e., 2009 vs. 2012).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:25:56 PM PST
Thanks for calling me out on something I said two years ago. Don't do too much of the name calling any more. Most of them are gone. You should check out all of the garbage that Guru was shoveling tho. He believed himself to be more of an "insider" than Alan thinks he is. Guru and I did kind of make up at one point. I can almost say that I miss him. Almost. I do miss Rick though, I do hope he is doing well. I actually hope guru is doing well too. I wonder sometimes why he is missing.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 10:12:35 PM PST
S. Marzban says:
YEEEEEEES

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 1:57:16 PM PST
B. Armitage says:
I hate combined reviews. Not only are some for different formats, but different versions of the film.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 2:31:56 PM PST
J. G. says:
Yes!

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 6:39:58 AM PDT
It's gotten even worse now that Amazon includes reviews from those who download streaming movies. It can take forever just to find a review that covers the quality of the transfer from Standard Def to Blu Ray but now I have to scroll through pages of 'streaming reviews' that so nothing more than 'I liked it, exciting and such'
With 3 different formats I could only pray that Amazon would separate these formats.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 12:27:08 PM PDT
I agree with the original author because there are several differences between Blu-Ray and DVD, mainly they add additional things because there is zero difference in movie quality between Blu-Ray and DVD, which is also why they probably won't separate it. It also means DVD reviews will probably be lower than Blu-Ray.

Take Wreck it Ralph, the 4 disc Collector's Edition is only $9 more, and you get about 30 minutes or more of extra content, the ability to play it in 3D, as well as own a digital copy on your iTunes(Highly recommended), or Windows Media Player(Not recommended, if you have to reinstall Windows, it's gone)

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 1:58:11 PM PDT
Mike K says:
This has to be the best idea I have seen suggested here. It should be common sense to separate reviews for two different products. It is misleading to have reviews discussing special features that may not even be present on the other format.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 1:58:14 PM PDT
Darr Darr says:
" zero difference in movie quality between Blu-Ray and DVD"

That tells me you have no idea what you're talking about...
maximum resolution from DVD is 480 lines; Blu-Ray can do 1080 lines.

If you're getting more than 480 lines resolution from a DVD, it's from upconversion, not from the DVD itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 9:10:12 AM PDT
Mathew J says:
Good Point, Darr Hoag...I owned a very nice Yamaha RX-V667 A/V receiver .It has a very effective up-conversion capability thru its' HDMI inputs of Standard Definition program content. I gave it to a friend [partly because I'm a geezer and missed playing my old dbx encoded vinyl records] and went back to my 10 yr. old Yamaha [something 5490]. Oh Boy--I mean "Oh yuck! The standard DVD's don't look nearly as good...Big difference

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:14:20 AM PDT
Darr Darr says:
I would've kept the AVR and added a magnetic cartridge pre-amp for the turntable (e.g. Pyle PP999 for moving magnets or PYLE-PRO PP444 for moving coil cartridges)... at least that's how I connected my beogram 8000 when I upgraded from my old analog stereo Sansui receiver to an Onkyo TX-NR807 THX AVR.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 11:14:09 AM PDT
EdM says:
"zero difference in movie quality between Blu-Ray and DVD"

Adding to what Darr Hoag very correctly points out about the video, the audio on BD is quite often presented via one of the much superior lossless codecs, Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio. A movie is more than the video alone, although the video improvement is very clear and easy to see. A lossy DD [or DTS] audio track is normally what you get on DVD, and no DVD movie has lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master audio.

Quite a few Blu-Ray Disc [BD] movies have both a DD [Dolby Digital] as well as a Dolby TrueHD audio tracks, e.g. With more than a few movies, you can switch between the lossy and lossless audio tracks, and if you cannot hear a difference in quality, there's something wrong with your ears, you do not care about audio quality, or your audio system needs upgrading. In some cases the audio difference is subtle, but for those of us who care about such things, that's quite important in making the whole AV experience more like being the real thing. Often this improved audio quality is pointed out in BD reviews of specific movies, e.g., for "Les Misérables" (2012):

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8532/les_misérables_2012.html#Section4

"This is where you'd really expect 'Les Misérables' to shine. Universal has provided an absolutely stellar DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track that truly engulfs the viewer...

Ambient sound is expertly mixed... the side speakers offer an added dimension that truly encompasses the listener. The rear channels are replete with even more ambient sound. We say it a lot, but I only say it when it's true: 'Les Misérables' provides a "like you're there" listening experience."

You don't get that from DVD.

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 11:22:38 AM PDT
Completely agree EdM.. The difference between compressed and uncompressed audio is huge, and, I have to admit, I am more focused on the quality of the audio on Blu Rays and the use of the front and rear sound stages than I am of the video transfer.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  99
Total posts:  291
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions