Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Blu-ray Sucks! Amazon keeps pushing a format that I hate and will never buy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 469 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 4:52:23 PM PST
Odii Gis says:
There's always videocassettes....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 9:17:19 PM PST
B. Wong says:
like Josh said, let it go, time to move on for you.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 6:21:56 AM PST
I love blu ray

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 10:13:56 AM PST
NetGod says:
I don't waste money on inferior products. That said, I am the very proud owner of 300+ Blu-ray movies, all of which are great movies, look and sound better than any other format available and extremely durable.

The post sounds like someone who is unemployed and or poor and does not have the money to buy the equipment and discs required to enjoy the hobby.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 12:46:38 PM PST
OK man, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. HD DVD....really?!!! Do they still make those? It's the beta to the VHS tapes back in the day with VCRs!! LOL Bluray is the future and there is nothing you can change about that. Bluray is NOT thin and the quality of the disc is superior to anything that is put out (surprised if they still do) by the HD DVDs. Your rant is all for naught and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Sorry dude.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 5:32:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2011 5:33:09 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 5:34:03 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 5:55:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2011 5:55:49 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 6:37:36 PM PST
"Ho contraire."

"My future goal is to be one of the top 1%. You know one of those that makes $200,000 or more a year."

"Well there's a whole slew of people that I've proved wrong when they thought that I would be successful in my businesses."

LOL... You _must_ be a troll.

"It takes 1% type thinking to get into the top 1%."

You better hope not if your "future goal is to be one of the top 1%."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 9:39:31 PM PST
Zero of One says:
"My future goal is to be one of the top 1%. You know one of those that makes $200,000 or more a year."

You're gonna have to raise your goals. The top 1% made a minimum of $516,000 in 2010 and had an average wealth of $14 million. $200,000 keeps you firmly with the rest of us :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 11:23:09 PM PST
Obama and like minded people talk about that figure a lot. If you make either $200,000 or $250,000 a year when they talk about those people that make that much should pay more in taxes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 12:05:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2011 7:57:52 AM PST
A M says:
There is a difference those earning $200,000 or more and the top 1% who control the wealth. I know a lot of people who earn more than $200,000 a year and they are rich. But they aren't WEALTHY. They own homes and have investments. But they aren't the top 1% who control the wealth. The top 1% are the multi-millionaires and billionaires. The people who own private jets and homes all around the world. If you made $200,000 a year - you could not buy Toshiba and bring back HD DVD. You would have to be a Mark Zuckerberg or Warren Buffett level billionaire to do that. Toshiba has about $65M in assets and $14M in equity.

The reason to raise taxes on those earning $200,000 or more is because it is a broader base of people who can still afford to give up a little more. If you only tried to raise taxes on the top 1%, it would only affect a few hundred people.

And if memory serves - one of your complaints about Blu Ray was that the players were so expensive. I just bought a top of the line Sony Blu Ray player for only $107. So expensive! And you can claim streaming is the future. But I finally signed up for netflix, but ultimately cancelled because there were a huge number of movies that are on DVD and blu ray which I can find at my local video store which they don't even carry. Such as "Piranha" (original vers.) and the recent movie "West is West." Needless to say, the list of movies NOT available on iTunes, Sony's Video Unlimited, Netflix streaming, Hulu, etc. is even larger.

And something I brought up several times and you never addressed - was that HD DVD did not have full studio support. I did not want a format that could only play movies from Paramount, WB, Universal, and The Weinstein Company. That is why I waited until after the end of the format war. Choice is not about format. It's about content.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 5:49:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2011 6:35:26 AM PST
MikeT says:
That's because you are falling for the carefully worded talking points when it comes to the politicians explaining just who will see their taxes raised. They always use examples of the 1% multi-millionaires or billionaires, but what they intend to tax (increase) is the middle class $200k range and up.

BTW: You are a fool if you think a few million $'s will "bring back" HD-DVD. The goliath Toshiba couldn't make it a competitive format after spending close to a billion on HD-DVD. Lotsa luck getting investors interested in reviving a dead billion dollar mistake. :)

Also, there are the legal issues where, even dead, Toshiba owns HD-DVD and I doubt they would or even could sign over rights for HD-DVD.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 6:46:29 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
What's with the talk about reviving HD DVD? Nothing would please me more since I am a big HD DVD fan as well as of Blu-ray. I think the competition between the two back then was good for the quality of the product and would be again. Too many BDs are being released that don't seem as good as Blu-ray can be, whereas HD DVD seemed to almost always hit its mark. If revived HD DVD were as consistently good as it had been, BD manufacturers, who sometimes seem to have gotten lazy, would have to step up their efforts But has any dead format ever been revived? I can't recall a single one. Moreover, I think the industry and retailers would fight a revival hand and foot. The choice of Blu-ray over HD DVD was made by the movie studios, the hardware and software manufacturers, and the video retailers, not the public. The industry wanted a single format for several reasons, some of them reasonable, and strong-armed the final outcome. In the end, one format could have been the salvation of high def discs; I just wish the industry would make more of a commitment to maintaining the high standards of which BD is capable. In my large collection of HD DVDs, I have never seen one that provided a picture that disappointed me; I have rented, and own, a number of BDs that have. Nevertheless, let us cast a memorial wreath on the waters for HD DVD. It won't be back. I don't see why there is any discussion of the possibility, other than fun speculation. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 6:47:14 AM PST
I think Toshiba should take Todd's cash for the rights to HD-DVD. That would be a shrewd move on their part. How often can you make money on a property that nobody cares about any longer?

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 7:09:37 AM PST
MikeT says:
ha! Exactly right both CB & Cavar. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 7:43:27 AM PST
sringo says:
"A solid material spinning against the air doesn't create friction and heat."
yeah, um, ask an aerospace engineer. and tell that to the space shuttle.

although his comment was idiotic (yelling at amazon's recommendation software), he was trying to be sarcastic, not to actually say that the air was causing the problem...

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 10:08:33 AM PST
BBD says:
I personally have had just a minor bit of frustration since I have only had a blue ray player for a year, and locally there are sales of moives, but the choices for regular dvd are of course dwindling like they did when vhs went to dvd. I buy alot, but really, blue ray is just offering alot more director talks and extras, which are great for falling asleep, and I just bought my second tv in one year, first a 720 then a 1080, but the average household isn't keep on upgrading every year, its too expensive.
I read somewhere that 1080p will soon become obsolete, wonder if that is true or it was just tech talk in magazines.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 10:20:43 AM PST
JVAN says:
I guess frustration depends on when you upgrade and how. I bought my BD player in 2008 on Black Friday for $180 (Panasonic), and it still plays all the BD's that come out. I bought my 1080p plasma March 2009, and I have no desire to replace it. I can watch my 50" TV from 5-7' away, and everything is razor sharp (to me and my friends). Any newer higher res format that comes out will have to be really cheap for adopters of current standards to upgrade (especially 3D adopters), unless you're running large projection or sitting even closer with a larger flat panel display.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 10:21:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2011 10:24:33 AM PST
You have to buy a license from the DVD Forum and at cost of $5500. They don't sell licenses to just anyone who wants to buy one. The reason is they cite "Trade Secrets". If you are able to buy one they send you a book. In that book are the "Trade Secrets" that they don't want to fall into the wrong hands. They want assurances that who they sell a license to won't give the information out to anyone that's not supposed to have it. Believe me, I know what I am talking about I tried applying before.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 11:19:51 AM PST
MikeT says:
Just post back here when there are any new HD-DVD players or content. Absent that your revival dream is just a silly fairy tail.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 12:11:33 PM PST
Oh please, $200,000 is far beyond the typical middle class. Don't even act like you can't afford to give up an extra 3% of what you make beyond $200,000 (note: it's not even your entire income, just the excess), unless you're up neck deep in mortgages and have no concept in money management. There's a difference between "don't want to" and "can't afford to" -- and seriously, who wants a tax raise? But it's not a matter of necessity. If you make $210,000, you get a $300 or so tax raise. Whoopedy-doo...

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 2:11:30 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I'm middle class and I don't know anyone who makes $200,000 a year. What is that, middle class in New York or California or something?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 3:19:31 PM PST
bfore13 says:
I completely disagree that a revival of HD-DVD would improve the quality of releases. The onus of quality is on the studios during mastering of the source material for BD not BD manufacturers or the format. The BD releases you've been disappointed with would be just as disappointing on HD-DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 5:42:25 PM PST
Neither. That's middle class in the Hamptons or Beverly Hills. Middle class is as far as I'm concerned $50,000-$100,000. If you make $200,000, you're not the boss, but you've got expendable income. You wouldn't be complaining that you can't put food on the table, you'd be complaining that you can't afford that country club annual pass, putting your 3 kids to private school, and the payments to that Mercedes Benz. Perhaps you'd also be complaining that your stock dividends this year wouldn't be enough to buy you a 2 week vacation to Fuji on a VIP cruise.

Seriously, that's what it comes down to. I don't have any opinion on the tax issue. Nobody likes to pay taxes, whether they're poor or rich.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  171
Total posts:  469
Initial post:  Jun 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions