Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Amazon now Charging Tax!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 795 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 3:15:05 PM PDT
daddyrex says:
Just ordered Black Ops 2 for my son and it is being released in Nov. and the pre-order had the tax on it just fyi.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 4:52:10 PM PDT
ML1 says:
I think Orders fulfilled by AMAZON will go down, Im sorry Amazon and sorry me because you guys had the best prices but not now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 5:05:35 PM PDT
If your Amazon order ships from you own state, they have to charge sales tax. If it ships from another state, there will be no sales tax.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 6:52:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2012 6:54:10 PM PDT
Does tax really make that much difference? I don't know the tax rates where you live, but let's round up and say 10%. If a blu-ray costs $20, then that's $2 additional. My impression with stores like Best Buy is that they usually charge more than a $2 difference (more like $5-10).

And that's not including gas: If your car gets 30 miles to the gallon, and gas is $4/gallon, and Best Buy is 5 miles away, then you've spent about $1.35 driving there and back.

As for buying from third party vendors on Amazon, I don't think any inefficiency lasts for long. If it comes to be that the majority of customers will pay tax, then third party vendors will adjust for that. After all, why would they give up an additional $2 of profit to the customer? Of course, sales tax is not the same across the country, so vendors might adjust for 5% instead of 10%; again, that just narrows the difference.

From another perspective, though, imposing taxes on online vendors is going to increase the price across the board, even locally, perhaps, because they would no longer have to try so hard to match online deals.

I'd understand a tax issue if you're buying a big ticket item like a computer or a TV.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 7:38:08 PM PDT
Ian c says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 8:38:07 PM PDT
taxes are charged by the state, Amazon just collects them. Paying for special shipping priviledges has nothing to do with taxation.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 7:57:30 AM PDT
J. Vinci says:
just this past saturday i made a couple purchses on amazon and no taxes were charged, i live in florida, and to date we haventhad to pay anytaxes for orders on amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 9:35:59 AM PDT
dreamover says:
9% and no state income tax?! come to chicago where we have a 5% income tax and 11% sales tax!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 1:01:59 PM PDT
AlSwa22 says:
Errr.... Maybe you should go to a pet store, then you wouldn't have to pay tax. Oh, wait...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 3:49:29 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:58:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2012 8:58:55 PM PDT
No worries. Come to California where we have 9%+ income tax, up to 10.75% sales tax (depending just a bit on local taxes), and the most cities with the highest average cost of living in the nation.

Hooray for us! What prize do we win again?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 11:26:24 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 11:37:06 PM PDT

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:13:02 PM PDT
AH-1Z says:
Regarding pre-orders: I asked Amazon about this, and their answer was that for the purposes of taxation, the transaction takes place when they accept your order, not when it is delivered. this means that pre-orders placed before the tax collection effective date are not affected.

I can confirm this two ways: I have had some orders paced before Amazon started collecting tax for my State and when they charged my card and on the invoice there was no tax. In addition, I, like so many others, were making some final orders on the last day before tax. Orders that were acknowledged before midnight, even just a few minutes, were not taxed. However, the final order ran into a lot of contention, no doubt because others were doing the same as me. Although I hit the final "place your order" button a couple of minutes before midnight, the order "hung in the system for a long time and wouldn't complete. It kept saying there were "problems" with the order and just kept increasing the quantity without placing the order. Finally, I got it to work correctly and after a four o so minute delay after the final "place your order" button was hit, it acknowledged the order it finally acknowledged the order-- at 12:02 AM,... with tax. So, I canceled that final order.

I'm still buying from Amazon, though, BTW. Still good deals and great service; besides, They're not the cause of this.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:20:42 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 8:21:45 PM PDT
Lou Nattik says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 9:01:23 PM PDT
You gotta be inland. If you stay on the coast, the climate will be more temperate and there won't be as much seasonal impact. I have friends and family on or near the coast in SanFran and Seattle.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 11:31:40 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:27:42 AM PDT
I've had both and prefer seasons, but nowhere is going to be perfect. *shrugs*

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 10:11:26 AM PDT
The tax is determined by each of the fifty states. If you live in state that charges the tax, you pay it. Otherwise you don't. One option is to buy through a third party who lives in a tax-free state.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 12:35:54 AM PDT
Georgedc says:
Amazon tax for California = SUCKS

Buy from 3rd party located in another state = NO TAX

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 2:57:13 AM PDT
Geez, have people have really gotten to the point where they feel entitled to easy tax evasion? I hope you don't feel entitled to drive on our roads, enjoy our beaches, or send your kids to our schools.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 3:14:08 AM PDT
MikeT says:
" Georgedc says: Amazon tax for California = SUCKS Buy from 3rd party located in another state = NO TAX "

It's not just Amazon. If the *other* online retailer isn't collecting CA sales tax, even if located outside of CA, then they are breaking the law and CA regulators are watching.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/15/business/la-fi-amazon-sales-tax-20120915

http://www.boe.ca.gov/news/2012/86-12-R.pdf

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 4:47:34 AM PDT
paper tiger says:
I understand why we are taxed, and I really don't have an issue with it. However when you don't pay tax for years and years and you shop constantly on Amazon because of that fact, it takes a while to get use to. I know it is not Amazon, it is our state, Amazon really has nothing to do with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 3:25:30 PM PDT
Georgedc says:
It certainly is not tax evasion by buying outside of california and not being charged tax. I've been buying "out of state" since the 80's before there was an amazon or the internet with your phone and I've never been charged CA tax. It's the law of the land when you buy out of state by mail and not be charged state taxes. duh!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  301
Total posts:  795
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions