Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

DVD vs Blu Ray

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 172 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2011 6:42:39 AM PDT
BMW says:
Could someone please advise whether it is better to buy a movie on DVD or Blu- Ray. Also could you please advise me if I purchase a Blu-Ray movie on Amazon.com, would this be able to be played in Australia on a Blu-Ray player or is it like dvd regions? Any advice will help. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 7:05:22 AM PDT
Well, thats a not easy to answer question. DVD's are generally cheaper and their prices fall faster than BD. BD have a superior picture, sound quality only limited by the source material(most noticable with much older movies not shot in Hi DEF). Most DVD's are bare bones and don't include the add-ons like commentaries and deleted scenes, as most once did. Often times, they are just the movie and that's it. BD's are often region coded so you would have to probably use Amazon. uk or whatever Au, maybe. I like to buy the movies I've seen and know I would watch again since the price is often higher than a DVD. I really don't care about the digital copy since there isn't a uniform program they use and WB is a co. that is making that process a hostile experience. Plus if you buy BD, you won't need to upgrade later. HOWEVER, if you own an upscaling DVD player, all that becomes moot. Although, BD players upscale most movies, too. Hope that answers your question.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 7:09:01 AM PDT
BMW says:
Jason, Yes you have helped me with my question. Thanks

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 4:46:46 PM PDT
B. Eckert says:
Movies aren't shot in HD, they are just digitally filmed more often now days. So a digital to digital transfer is easier to do than a film to digital transfer. Film for alot of people is a much more natural looking form of media than digital. I fully think film is better, its just becoming cheaper and easier to do digital versions.

But to be on topic, Blu ray players are slower to load more often than not compared to DVD movies. At this time, the read ahead times are far less than current gen DVD players are. the read speed varies from 2 to 5X only, while DVD can be anywhere from 24X and up. Allowing for use in portable media, like laptops, or portable DVD or Blu Ray players, to be better if it is moved ie. cars, boats, or other times vibration is present.

Blu Ray players are more expensive, but are able to play both DVD and blu ray. A blu ray version will allow for a longer life than DVD, its coated with a special polymer that makes it far stronger than DVDs, and less prone to scratching. Early studies showed that it was able to have screw drivers jammed into a disk, and still readable. If you are looking to buy movies, try looking for sets. you should be able to get great deals on movie sets. Personally i have only paid over 10 US dollars per movie on a a couple movies. they were only disney movies or other high name movies that aren't in a set yet. But most times 8 dollars or less per movie. So keep an eye out for deals, and around now, black friday, and christmas time has great deals.

And as for your region, you are region B, which encompasses "most European, African and southwest Asian countries plus Australia and New Zealand." So your best bet will probably be from amazon UK, or whatever suffix site you use for it. If you wanted to get stuff from here, you might need to buy a player from here thats region A, to use disks from the Americas, or "most North, Central and South American and Southeast Asian countries plus the Republic of China (Taiwan), Japan, Hong Kong, Macau and Korea."

That would be my best advice, and dont be afraid to buy used. if a box is ruined you can buy replacement ones from people on ebay. i found alot of results, havent tried any sellers yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 5:03:56 PM PDT
Almost a good post, except your comparison of drive speeds are way off base. For one thing, X speeds are for WRITING, not reading. Also, X is a variable standard which is different for different media. 1X for BD is 36 Mbits/s and 1X is about 11 Mbit/s for dvd. So there is more than 3 times differential when comparing WRITE speeds with these standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Recording_speed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd#Technology

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 10:29:47 PM PDT
P. moore says:
You can get multi region blu ray players in Australia,try kogan they can give you a code to make them multi and they sell for about $150

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 10:48:52 PM PDT
BMW says:
Thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 1:18:15 AM PDT
J. Martin says:
"most noticable with much older movies not shot in Hi DEF"

You couldn't be more wrong.

Any movie shot on film already has the resolution of 1080p HD and much higher too. How do you think they're able to project the film onto a theatre screen and it still retain its resolution? Films shot digitally have to be set at the minimum of 1080p for them to exist in HD, so if anything older movies shot on film are of a much higher quality than digitally shot movies.

Please, do your research and actually understand what HD is before you make statements like that.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 2:55:27 AM PDT
P. moore says:
As Jason was saying most dvd recorders and blu ray players will upscale dvd's but i find the sound on blu ray is so much better especially when your running through a great amp and some blu ray's EG- (Toy story 3) have 7/1 sound and when running through 7 speakers it sounds awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 5:10:30 PM PDT
Techie says:
"C. Barbus says:
Almost a good post, except your comparison of drive speeds are way off base. For one thing, X speeds are for WRITING, not reading. Also, X is a variable standard which is different for different media. 1X for BD is 36 Mbits/s and 1X is about 11 Mbit/s for dvd. So there is more than 3 times differential when comparing WRITE speeds with these standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Recording_speed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd#Technology "

Actually, your references mean nothing. The "X" speeds refer to spindle speed. This means that read and write will occur at that max speed. They are not independent of each other. Most manufacturers will limit the read speed to the max write speed to simplify stepping logic of the spindle motor. The speeds of the "X" are different for each format. CD 1X is how fast a CD needs to spin to deliver a real time stream, same for DVD, and same for BD, and other optical drives. Usually the electronics and laser of the drive max out at a certain bit rate, reading and writing, and that is the max "X" of the drive. Eventually, you reach the saturation of the bus and higher speeds are not practical, reading or writing.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 3:31:58 AM PDT
Personally I am done with bluray. I was an early adopter and have purchased 3 machines. ALL of them pieces of crap. Slow to start up, new movies don't work in em FREQUENTLY. Forced hardware patches cause the equipment to fail or destroy themselves. Ultimately I gave away the 10 or so titles I had on bluray and kept the DVDs instead. Not only that but in EVERY case bluray is overpriced in the market where as DVDs are under $20 at release and only get cheaper after that. Also you KNOW your DVD is going to work when you put it in your machine. Nothing is more annoying then going and paying $35 for a movie bring it home and squat. evening ruined for everyone. The Technophiles that preach about the wonders and amazement of HD this that, well whoopty freaking do. Why dont you just go down and build a in home theater with a projector. All the good it is doesnt matter a hill of beans when it DOESNT WORK! DIE bluray DIE. And good riddance. I will buy my titles DVD only and when Disney pulls the crap they did with their latest title releases only releasing bluray combo packs, I will not be a customer. I recommend anyone wanting to continue to save money on movies in the future to do the same. DEMAND DVDs.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 3:52:18 AM PDT
P. moore says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 5:55:56 AM PDT
j in boston says:
I've had an Oppo blu-ray player for over a year now. I've watched dozens of blu-ray discs and I've never had one that wouldn't play in spite of the fact that I haven't downloaded any of the firmware updates. I'm really sorry that Mr. Wheeler has had so many problems, but I believe him to be the exception, not the rule.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 7:38:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2011 7:40:12 AM PDT
I also have an OPPO BDP-83 and I love it-no problems in the 2 years I have owned it.

\beginrant

I can understand Mr. Wheeler's frustration even though I do not share his overall opinion of the Blu-ray format.

Blu-ray is dramatically superior to DVD in PQ and AQ but it still has a way to go to match the "load and play" ease of use of DVD.

IMO Blu-ray was not "ready" for primetime when it launched in 2006 but now 5 years later they have finally worked out almost all of the bugs so that only 3 annoying problems remain...

1-Load time. Depending on the complexity of the menu for any given BD title it takes my OPPO between 10 to 100 times longer to load than the same title on DVD. This needs to be improved!

2-Stop and resume. Most BD's which include BD Live (which is almost all of them now) will NOT stop and resume. It must be programmed on a per disc basis and the studios cannot be bothered to do so.

3-BD Live-It's promoted as a next-gen special feature but the features that use it are worthless. In addition, BD Live dramatically increases a BD's load time, prevents a BD from stopping and resuming and sometimes requires the user to update the firmware on his/her BD player just to play the disc. The sooner the studios drop BD Live (just like they eventually dropped DVD ROM features on DVD's) the better off the format will be.

In contrast to the problems above every single DVD I own loads instantly and will stop and resume in my same OPPO BD player-It's embarrassing when the older format is superior even though DVD is clearly inferior in PQ and AQ.

Hopefully in 2012 BD will finally match the user friendliness of DVD's!

\endrant

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 7:51:33 AM PDT
Willy,

If you are going to make the comparison to dvd, try putting dvds into your dvd player from 1998 and see if they work. Everyone seems to forget there were still updates to the dvd software after initial release too. Good luck with your anger issues as dvd market shrinks and bd market grows.

Also, seeing as Willy has had so many problems and only owns 10 movies, the story doesn't quite ring true. I say even money Willy is trolling.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 7:58:55 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
My over three years old Panasonic BD player and my Sony BD player, which I bought last Christmas, have never failed to play any BDs I've put in them, not even the discs so many posters report as unplayable. I have never, not once, done an update on either of my machines; in fact, they are not even connected to the internet. Since poster after poster having problems always says he or she has all the latest updates installed, I'm left to wonder if the updates THEMSELVES are what cause the problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 8:03:19 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 8:04:16 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Kenneth Davis

You have hit the remaining problems on the head. My suspicion is, since BD has been around for several years now and the technology has presumably advanced, that the studios don't address these continuing troubling issues because technically they are unsolvable, or, worse, they just don't care.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 1:37:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 2, 2011 1:47:55 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 11:13:42 AM PST
M. A. Santos says:
Amen. A good quality film production is always better than digital. That goes for still cameras as well.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 11:21:16 AM PST
M. A. Santos says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 11:54:42 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>DVD vs Blu Ray<<

Blu Rays are always better if you want better picture quality and a disc with a less scratchable surface compared to DVDs. but, if you're like me where you don't care about picture quality and just want to watch the movie the way it is without paying a higher price, then go DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 1:06:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 1:45:32 PM PST
JVAN says:
Although the disc capacity is higher, the data per frame for HD content is also much higher. Pressing the same number of discs is usually so they don't have to rewrite the menuing and indexing for the discs (which could add cost), even if the content is at the higher resolution. However, in cases where it makes sense; such as Masters of Horror Season 1, it makes more sense to put the whole season on 4 2-layer blu-rays rather than the 14 single-layer discs they put them on in the DVD version (packaging and shipping come into play at that volume). They could have gotten away with fewer DVD's by going dual layer, but those were geared toward rentals and individual purchase of each show. The show is also lower resolution than most blu-ray movies (the blu-rays are only 1080i), so that's even less data than normal HD program material.

Blu-ray prices are currently lower than what DVDs cost when blu-ray won the HD war in 2008. I agree though, until the price of blu-ray and DVD titles cost the same for the exact same program material, blu-ray will not complete it's replacement in cost-conscious homes. I won't buy a new title if it's only a drama or comedy on blu-ray if the DVD is more than a couple of dollars cheaper, because I get just as much out of it on DVD. Anything with effects, beautiful photography, or anything else that is visual I will get the blu-ray - but I buy them used, for less than the cost of the same title on a new DVD. ;-)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 1:17:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 1:19:02 PM PST
Roger says:
I'm seeing the same DVD quality resolution as when watching the BD/Blu-Ray movies movie. Oh, and against what one of the first responders of this thread stated about no commentaries within DVD, that is completely false. DVD's have all the commentaries as well.

I don't know about the BD media being less scratchable then DVD media. Reply back maybe in 10+ years, when the media has been truly tested against time. One poster on another forum stated, "the "protective coating" on blu-ray titles has to do with the increased data density and proximity of the data layer closer to the surface making it more subject to damage. Although the advertisers like to hype the protective layer as some superior feature for the customer."

Personally, think BD is all copy protection geared, and it was just rolled-into the next step in optical media development. DVD's are able to be viewed on Linux, where as BD movies cannot be viewed on Linux. This I think, is the bottom line. Personally, think DVD is still probably the best movie format to buy, unless you like things with a little glitter & don't use a PC. Another poster seemed to honestly post his two year old easily circumvented the scratch protection of BD media.

Another item, the mouse doesn't work on some BD movies.

Think they should enforce existing laws rather then making new ones. The existing laws are adequate, they just don't enforce them. Creating a new defense, will only encourage the black market to circumvent while us law-abiding civilians suffer with paying more for hardware, while getting skimped (lied to) on features or benefits. Plain and simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 8:53:12 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 8, 2013 5:57:35 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  172
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 6, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions