Customer Discussions > Blu-ray forum

Not the negative 3D thread.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 150 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2013 5:22:53 AM PDT
Max, Dish Network did not carry the BBC's 3D channel, or ESPN's 3D channel - plus, our local cable monopoly did not either. Perhaps, that is why ESPN & the BBC gave up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2013 11:26:29 AM PDT
Elder Dave says:
Nonsense, Max. Don't know why you're so keen on it going away. Does it somehow hurt your life, or are you just offended other people are enjoying something you don't? Also, why are you posting a message like this on the "NOT the Negative 3D Thread"?
ESPN made the fatal mistake of not showing major league sports (maybe, contractually, they can't--I dunno). While I enjoy Wimbledon when they show it, niche sports like Xtreme games, (pardon me, soccer fans in the US and the world) soccer and Little League tournaments, the great US public attends these sparsely when you consider the population as a whole. Also, they neglected to advertise to the public in general. Many 3-D set owners expressed surprise at ESPN's termination announcement that they were broadcasting in 3-D at all. As for BBC, I know nothing about them as far as the economics, the demographics and the ergonomics their 3-D situation go; I suspect you don't, either. It looks like all you Horseboys of Negativity are looking for is a bit of schadenfreude. Can't you find something to be happy about?

At 74, I'm aware my life will go on (as long as it does) with or without 3-D. Like millions of others, I enjoy it and will continue to enjoy it from my 108 3DBD's (and there are many more coming--just check it out on Blu-ray.com) whether anyone broadcasts it or not. 3-D is here to stay, whether as a tool of filmmakers, or doctors, or engineers or, ultimately, holodeck designers. Yes, 3-D with glasses will go away, but it will be replaced by glasses-free 3-D, at which point, Max, you won't be able to go anywhere without seeing 3-D. Experiment over? Don't kid yourself; it's just beginning.
And just a word to the Four or Five Horseboys of Negativity about downvoting. Someone has started a thread on that; maybe you could all meet there for club outings. Amazon doesn't realize the "no" voting buttons are probably used mainly by children playing because they don't like 3-D, or they don't like the poster or they don't like their fanboy frustration at not being able to control their world but NOT because the post doesn't add to the discussion. I know this has been discussed before in a thread, but Amazon should just remove the buttons.
As for me, I think I'm going on hiatus for a few months at least, and I will leave the field to the kids who only seem to know how to trash things. My kids and my grandkids love 3-D and enjoy it whenever they choose. And, like Vonnegut, all I can say is...and so it goes.

Posted on Jul 5, 2013 10:32:54 AM PDT
BBC just gave up on 3D due to the lack of appetite for the technology. ESPN recently
did the same too.

The experiment is over.

Posted on Jul 4, 2013 12:02:27 PM PDT
Elder Dave says:
O.K. Here's a noted director and George Clooney (not to mention Sandra Bullock--well, I guess I just did!) engaged in something new that will be a first in 3-D. 3-D?: alive and well.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-clooney-sandra-bullocks-gravity-first-3d-film-224328528.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2013 5:19:20 PM PDT
Roy Zander says:
Elder Dave;
Agreed - Upside Down was a remarkably beautiful
movie, especially in 3D. I liked the movie and low price
so much, I sent copies to 2 friends.
What an original idea. I can't wait to see it again. The D-box
motion code will be released soon.

Posted on Jul 3, 2013 2:51:06 PM PDT
Elder Dave says:
Just a quick post before it gets voted down:

Just saw "Upside Down" in 3-D and have to say it is the quirkiest, most original scifi I've seen in quite a while. Available on Amazon:

Upside Down [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray on one disc]

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 12:03:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2013 12:06:24 PM PDT
Roy Zander says:
It's great seeing so many new movies coming to theaters in 3D. Nice to see some older movies being converted to 3D.
'I, Robot' and 'Jurassic Park' were AMAZING in 3D!! Looking forward to 'The Wizard of Oz' in 3D in October.
If a movie was in theaters in 3D then I order the Blu-ray in 3D without question. I was ordering 3D Blu-rays more than a year before I got a 3D TV.

3D at home just seems so much better than at the theaters.

****Does anyone know of a site where one can find upcoming older movies being converted to 3D for Blu-ray? ****

After seeing 'Star Trek Into Darkness' in 3D I'm wondering if the 2009 'Star Trek' will be converted. That would blow me away.
Anybody have any info?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2013 10:45:05 AM PDT
Elder Dave says:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2013 8:43:40 AM PDT
I just use the Play Memories App available on the PS3 (not sure if it is on the PS3 already or if you have to download it from the PlayStation store for free). Once I launch Play Memories I can import my 3d photos and view them. When importing the photos Play Memories doesn't seem to recognize the camera so I have to put the camera's memory card into a card reader and plug that into the PS3 USB port. Once imported they are stored and always available on the PS3 and view-able in 3D (or 2d) via Play Memories.

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 4:49:42 AM PDT
K. A. Jones says:
So far i love the 3D movies. I just wish I had the space for a bigger set. IWe have Panasonic Plasma with Panny 3D BR Player...an excellent combo I must say. Glass are provided by Dimensional Optics and they feel like the old style Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses. Have had no issues with them period. Even the simulated 3D by theset does a good job.

As to movies the last one was Dredd and actually surprised me with some good moments in the fllm. Others that I've seen so far....Underworld Awakening, TinTin, Prometeus, Avatar, John Carter, Hugo, Tangled and Transformer: Dark of the Moon. Still have Titanic, Rio and just got The Hobbit to watch. the only downside and it's nothing that can't be done with the TV is you really have to toy with the settings to get close to the actual colors, contrast and lighting due to the glasses dark lens. Thankfully when I watch 3D those settings are seperate and doesn't effect normal viewing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 6:26:42 PM PDT
Elder Dave says:
I have that camera. Have you found any way, aside from the card you shoot the pictures on, to save the pictures on some medium fromwhich you can play them on the TV--aside from a computer hard drive, I mean?

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 5:20:53 PM PDT
We love 3d. We have a 70inch LED and it looks great. I usually only buy 3D movies now and just rent the others from VUDU. I have over 40 3d movies. I do not see it as a fad as some others. I see it as an evolution just like black and white to color or stereo to surround sound. Once you see the depth some movies bring with 3D you don't want it any other way. Someday all TVs will be 3d with no glasses and people will just take it for granted. We really enjoy sitting down to a 3D movie at home it just feels a little more fun. I do think some people are still expecting the 3D gimmicks with stuff coming far out from the screen and them ducking, for me the best 3D is none of that it is just the depth and detail that is enhanced by 3D.

I also have a 3d digital camera that I bought here on Amazon for cheap (it's a Fuji for 199.00) and I love it. Pictures can be transferred to the TV and the 3d photos look awesome. People actually want to look at the pictures. If you like 3D check out that camera.

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 4:36:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2013 4:38:44 PM PDT
T.Piecz says:
I did not seek out a 3D set but it came standard on my Panny so I bought the glasses and decided to give it a chance. While we do not watch broadcast 3D we love the 3d movies we have bought. We have active 3D and it looks fantastic. Avengers, Coraline, Hugo, Tron, Avatar, Dredd, Life of Pi, Prometheus, Transformers, Brave, and Lion King were all purchases which are outstanding!

Posted on Jun 20, 2013 2:59:15 PM PDT
Elder Dave says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2013 1:46:54 PM PDT
Elder Dave says:
Yes, I was surprised at the glowing review. Great artists, great music AND 3-D with lossless 5.1 audio! This is a day 1 buy for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2013 1:19:06 PM PDT
EdM says:
It appears to be in both BD and 3D-BD, according to the linked post. The reviewer liked it a lot; read the review. Coming Tuesday.

Experience Montreux [Blu-ray]

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 12:47:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2013 1:40:39 PM PDT
Elder Dave says:
Well, I was amazed to run across this release mentioned on Blu-ray.com. It's for jazz lovers, and it's 3-D. For those of us who love jazz but can't get to Montreux, how about attending in 3-D? Comes out soon, very soon.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Experience-Montreux-Blu-ray/70803/

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2013 12:17:00 PM PDT
JD says:
Really enjoyed Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters. I think it was much better than critics rated it. The color, depth of 3D, CGI FX, is great. The resolution of this blu-ray is razor sharp.

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 11:49:45 AM PDT
D. Piper says:
I just saw Hansel/witch hunters etc and was not expecting much, kowever I think it is far better than many of the recent releases in the action/ brainless genre. Almost in the categorey of 3D demo dvds.

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 1:35:11 PM PDT
Elder Dave says:
And now, fellow stalwart 3-D lovers, we have a release date for House of Wax 3-D per Warners on Blu-ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11327

Note to the Four or Five Horsemen of Negativity: see how fast you can no-vote this down, boys. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2013 5:19:17 PM PDT
Elder Dave says:
G. Sparks, Roger liked films that were honest about what they were doing, and I think he got a kick out of that film. After all, it's all about entertainment first. Using 3D for philosophical statements as well as art--as in Life of Pi--or for structural effect and fun--as in Hugo--depends upon keeping the audience entertained so they can appreciate the art of it. No matter what else happens with 3D, directors now know they can use it as a legitimate element to tell a story or highlight a documentary. As my 3DBD collection sails past 100, I know I've got great entertainment that, with re-viewing, will last for years. Talking about great fun, I can hardly wait for the natively shot 3D House of Wax to come out. I'm pretty sure Roger would have enjoyed that as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2013 2:01:12 PM PDT
G. Sparks says:
I like that Roger also kinda, sorta like THE TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/treasure-of-the-four-crowns-1983

Posted on Jun 12, 2013 10:08:01 AM PDT
ESPN just announced they will be DIScontinuing their 3D channel by the end of the year
and will concentrate on the coming 4k market.

Bye bye 3D. We hardly (watched} knew thee.

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 7:16:42 PM PDT
Georgedc says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2013 4:11:51 PM PDT
EdM says:
@ Naz -There are some reports of problems with Rio 3D. My 2D copy is wonderful, as expected, on my OPPO BDP-83 SE.

Check post 4, e.g. of the first one as well as another reporting the problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1389476/found-problem-with-3d-in-rio-drive-angry-need-solution

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=178805

"I am having playback issues with Rio"

Have you checked for a firmware update for your player?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Blu-ray forum

ARRAY(0x9bf587f8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Blu-ray forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  150
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions